Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factions is the first game I’ve worked on and wanted to post it here to gauge people’s opinions of the game and improve it.

The Story
FACTIONS is a card game set in a lawless medieval world ruled by greed, and run by the rich and powerful.
Groups are consistently vying for power, trying to get a foot hold to rule as they see fit.

The inhabitants of the Kingdom and surrounding areas have grown tired of living in danger, powerless to change their lives.
Militias are now arming themselves, and mercenaries for rent are getting more and more common.
Fighting is now more vicious than ever, and there is no sign of anyone taking control any time soon!

Your job is to assemble a Faction of skilled fighters, and take out your opponent’s stronghold weakening their position and allowing power to shift.

Game Play
Factions is a game which is simple to play, but difficult to master.

Each player builds a deck of at least 10 cards.
4 cards are then drawn at random and played face up.
Players take it in turns to select their cards to play first.
Players then choose the amount of Berserk Potion to use.
Characters are then pitted against each other with the winner dealing damage to their opponents stronghold.
For more information on game-play see the manual HERE.

Distribution Model
Our initial thoughts were to mimic the success of the big guys (Pokemon, MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc..) and go the route of selling 'Starter sets' and distribute extra cards via random boosters.
Looking at feedbaack from players and the general populace of BGG and BGDF we decided to go with the 'Living/Expandable Card Game' model. This means distributing via pre-determined expansions and sets. This model allows all players access to all cards available.

Competetive Play
Factions was developed with competetive play in mind.
Going for the LCG model, and constantly testing and assessing the current rules means the gaming experience will always be fair and fun for all.
We want toavoid the 'spend all your money to make a good deck' frame of mind.

Current Progress v0.7
We have completed the basics of the game rules and cards, and FACTIONS is now ready for public testing.
Below are links to a PnP version of the game and manual so you can print the game and play at home.

PDF - PnP 9 cards per page v0.7 - Perfect for printing on A4 sheets
PDF - PnP 1 card per page v0.7 -Perfect for printing on pre-cut cards such as business cards.
PDF - PnP Rules v0.7 - Early unformatted version of the rules. Probably riddled with typos and spelling errors.

[Links last updated 24/09/2016]

Check back regularly as we plan on making changes often during balancing and testing phases.

Feedback
Any feedback is welcome, and I won't be offended if you dislike my game, or any mechanics.
If you would like to submit detailed feedback we currently have a form you can fill in HERE.

FaceBook Page

The PnP prototypes are very simple to allow for rapid changes, and the names are place holders.

Credit to Ciel, he's an excellent artist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I had a quick look at the cards and one thing came to mind:
Is there a reason that you use multiples of 10?
It will put some extra load on your brain when you play. It would be simpler to handle 1-10 instead of 10-100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimmymail wrote:
Hi, I had a quick look at the cards and one thing came to mind:
Is there a reason that you use multiples of 10?
It will put some extra load on your brain when you play. It would be simpler to handle 1-10 instead of 10-100.

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm using bases of ten so i can tweak the numbers more. For example during balancing I may use bases of 5.
I will add your comment to my list of possible changes, though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read the rules and have some questions:

1. You draw 4 cards and there is 4 rounds, so you will need to play all cards drawn? It's just the order that matters?
- Consider drawing 5 cards so you get a choice of one card to leave out?
2. When you use cards do they stay on the table? If I understand correctly all damage are handled in fortitude?
Why am I asking this? - Because there seems to be some effects having multiple cards of the same guild. So are these from the same player or is it "all cards on the board."

3. I find that all cards are visible from the start, aren't you worried that it might cause a long AP moment when you try to calculate all possible combinations of how the fight might go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One more little note:
It says that you need something to keep track of your Berserk potions, but it doesn't mention fortitude points. I guess that you need something to keep track of that to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimmymail wrote:
I read the rules and have some questions:

1. You draw 4 cards and there is 4 rounds, so you will need to play all cards drawn? It's just the order that matters?
- Consider drawing 5 cards so you get a choice of one card to leave out?
2. When you use cards do they stay on the table? If I understand correctly all damage are handled in fortitude?
Why am I asking this? - Because there seems to be some effects having multiple cards of the same guild. So are these from the same player or is it "all cards on the board."

3. I find that all cards are visible from the start, aren't you worried that it might cause a long AP moment when you try to calculate all possible combinations of how the fight might go?

One more little note:
It says that you need something to keep track of your Berserk potions, but it doesn't mention fortitude points. I guess that you need something to keep track of that to.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I have responded to your feedback in a similar way to how you formatted your response just to make it easy to see what I am responding to.

[1] At the moment 4 rounds is the maximum a game can last, but it can be over sooner if a players fortitude reaches zero or they forfeit due to not seeing a way to win.

A fifth round was considered, but left an odd number of rounds meaning a player could have an unfair advantage.

Your suggestion of a fifth card with no fifth round is quite an interesting idea which I will definitely consider. I will have to test this myself before throwing it out for blind testing.

[2] Yes, cards do stay on the field after use.

Fortitude is the health of the stronghold, and is the variable which damage is dealt to.

For a Guild Effect to activate you must have at least 2 fighters from the same guild on your side of the field. Inspired also only counts the fighters on your side of the field. (Hero cards are an exception)

Fighter’s guilds still count, even after the fighters have had their turns.
(I will update this point in the next version of the rules.)

[3] During the testing of the game we found that hiding the cards made the game massively random, and removed a lot of strategy.

For the first few games there was a minute or 2 where players had a look at their options, but as tests went on thinking time dropped as players became more familiar with the cards.
I will be keeping an eye on this, though. Especially on players who have played a few matches.

[4] There should be more information on how to keep track of Fortitude.
(I will update this point in the next version of the rules.)

Summary:
I will consider having a fifth card, with no fifth round, but I will need to test this first.
I will ensure the rules are clearer on what happens after cards are used, when talents and guild effects are triggered, and how to keep track of variables such as Fortitude etc...

Feedback is important to me and important to helping make Factions successful, so I am grateful for your response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here comes some more things that I think of:
It's stated that you should have a deck of at least 10 cards. Currently you only draw 4 of these in one game.

What do you think of the deck building aspect?
- When you build a deck, can you have duplicates?
- Is there ever a reason to have more then 10 cards? More cards will lower the chance of getting a good combination or? Currently you only have 40% for each card to be available for play.
- Do you see that a "match" is really three games with the same decks? So that you can learn what cards the other player have and try to adjust to that?

Some ideas:
What would happen if you have a deck of 15 cards, you take 5 cards each round, as suggested before you only use 4 of them. And you play for three rounds (or first to two victories). That way you know that you will use all your cards in the deck (if it comes to three rounds).

Or... you could have a deck of 13 cards, first you draw 5, play 4, keep one for next round, draw 4 new, play 4, keep 1 and finally draw 4 and play 4. Leaving one unused card.

Starting player, instead of tossing a coin, would it be interesting to have some stat on the cards determine this? So that you can actually build a deck that often starts (high initiative).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We now have a FaceBook Page
grimmymail wrote:
Here comes some more things that I think of:
It's stated that you should have a deck of at least 10 cards. Currently you only draw 4 of these in one game.

What do you think of the deck building aspect?
- When you build a deck, can you have duplicates?
- Is there ever a reason to have more then 10 cards? More cards will lower the chance of getting a good combination or? Currently you only have 40% for each card to be available for play.
- Do you see that a "match" is really three games with the same decks? So that you can learn what cards the other player have and try to adjust to that?

Some ideas:
What would happen if you have a deck of 15 cards, you take 5 cards each round, as suggested before you only use 4 of them. And you play for three rounds (or first to two victories). That way you know that you will use all your cards in the deck (if it comes to three rounds).

Or... you could have a deck of 13 cards, first you draw 5, play 4, keep one for next round, draw 4 new, play 4, keep 1 and finally draw 4 and play 4. Leaving one unused card.

Starting player, instead of tossing a coin, would it be interesting to have some stat on the cards determine this? So that you can actually build a deck that often starts (high initiative).
I will get back to I will be updating the rules to include deck building rules, and add any sections I may have missed. Before i change any basic gameplay mechanics i want to see how people find the current ones.

Free Faction wallpaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Dawson-Ruiz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Have you ever played Urban Rivals? It's an online card game that is very similar to Factions. You make a deck of 8 to 10 cards, draw 4 of them face up, then take turns picking an attacking card and secretly choosing a number of pillz to multiply their attack value. The defending player then picks a card and number of pillz to multiply their attack power. The card with the highest attack power deals their damage value to the other player. When you have 2 or more cards from the same clan you get a special bonus.

If you haven't played it, I highly suggest looking into it for inspiration since it is very similar to Factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main inspirations are HearthStone, Chronicle, and that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improved formatting and added images to original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.