Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence about this game due to the solo variant.

It seems like many users are enjoying the solo version of this game, but from what I've gathered from the many playthroughs/reviews I've watched is that if you use all of the cards in the solo game, the luck of the draw will have a huge impact on how the game goes (as you might keep drawing mostly cards you cannot use in the first turns).

Is it possible to just remove the cards that cannot be used and still have a balanced solo game?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not really every card is very good, but only for a certain build and at a certain point in the game. Some cards give you more income (better early), some cards just points (better late), others combo with other things, Jovian, Plants, Animals, Bacteria, Science, Energy, Space, Building... You may get unlucky and mostly draw cards you want at the end of the game first, or cards you wanted 5 turns ago at the end of the game. That is the nature of any card game. To mitigate this in a multiplayer game I'd say only play with drafting (we do, and love it). Solo you could make the game easier and draw extra discard down to X, but the game was built with that luck in mind. Euros have such simple mechanics the luck is what makes the solo play fun for me. Would you play solitaire with a stacked deck that you knew you would win every time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
Crikrunner wrote:
Not really every card is very good, but only for a certain build and at a certain point in the game. Some cards give you more income (better early), some cards just points (better late), others combo with other things, Jovian, Plants, Animals, Bacteria, Science, Energy, Space, Building... You may get unlucky and mostly draw cards you want at the end of the game first, or cards you wanted 5 turns ago at the end of the game. That is the nature of any card game. To mitigate this in a multiplayer game I'd say only play with drafting (we do, and love it). Solo you could make the game easier and draw extra discard down to X, but the game was built with that luck in mind. Euros have such simple mechanics the luck is what makes the solo play fun for me. Would you play solitaire with a stacked deck that you knew you would win every time?

I agree here and like Joshua says, the cards are not "good" or "bad" per se, it depends entirely on the situation. Even "Io Mining Industies" (cost 41 - giving titanium production), which I admit is harder to make use of in solo play, would still be very good as a starting card for PhoboLog!!

Also, analyzing which cards to keep and which to throw away is the most important task in the game! When you don't draw the cards you need (or you think you need, then you can focus your money on getting your other cards out or using standard projects. Actually, to draw "good" cards all the time will probably kill your game as you would invest too much money in cards instead of playing them...

I hope you will enjoy playing TM solo! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I was actually referring to cards that require other opponents to be played. Are they not just useless in solo?

>Joshua

I also prefer to have some luck when playing solo, but one thing is to have a random draw of cards that can all be played solo and one thing to have many cards that cannot be played at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cards that target an opponent can be played in solo as there's an "imaginery" opponent who looses the resources you gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoveNson wrote:
Cards that target an opponent can be played in solo as there's an "imaginery" opponent who looses the resources you gain.

Ah cool, sorry I wasn't aware of it.

So is my understanding correct that ALL the cards can be played in solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all cards can be played. However, off the top of my head, at least 3 cards are still useless unless you have both Interplanetary Cinematics and Media Group; Virus (which removes animals or plants), Land Claim (which reserves an area for you to build on) and Sabotage (which removes resources. Their effects are totally useless in solo, but with the right combo cards, you can actually still earn money from playing them. But that is 3 cards out of 200, so that doesn't really affect the game in a bad way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
Yes, all cards can be played. However, off the top of my head, at least 3 cards are still useless unless you have both Interplanetary Cinematics and Media Group; Virus (which removes animals or plants), Land Claim (which reserves an area for you to build on) and Sabotage (which removes resources. Their effects are totally useless in solo, but with the right combo cards, you can actually still earn money from playing them. But that is 3 cards out of 200, so that doesn't really affect the game in a bad way.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Dorow
Germany
Zuelpich-Geich
flag msg tools
I considered the same and removed "not useful" cards. Result: You suck, because each generation you draw 4 "good" cards, and buy them, because you won't miss them. 12 MC gone out of 14 MC Basic income per round. You need 10 generations to accumulate sufficient (e.g. 20) MC until you are able to play your first cards/projects. 4 generations to go to achieve ALL targets...!? No fun at all.
Believe me, you will be glad drawing "not useful" cards, so that you are not forced to buy "good" cards, or regret to discard "good" cards, but instead accumulate money faster to build up your economy as early as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true even in multiplayer. The game's design emphasizes only buying cards that actually help you, and if you REALLY need something that you don't have a card for, there are always standard projects. Finding a handful of really good cards is actually more frustrating that finding one or two that work well together, or with what you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.