B-Sieged: Sons of the Abyss» Forums » General

Subject: 3D printed Catapult for B-sieged rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I have been playing B-sieged for a few weeks and couldn't help but think that a catapult mini would look really cool on the board.
I'm a 3D artist for a living and had just invested in a 3D printer so thought the catapult would be a good first test of the printers quality. The 3D model only took an afternoon in Zbrush and the Print itself took around 10 hours to print.
It's printed in 4 pieces, the main base and frame work, the boulder holder, boulder and the character platform. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result, there are some obvious striations in the print, these could be improved with a bit of sanding and filler primer (I was in too much of a hurry to get it painted).
I also integrated a hole in the base to accept a pin so that the mini can be attached to the board and turn.
Quality could further be improved by printing it in more pieces but then it becomes a bit of faff to put together. I'm not sure if there would be any commercial interest in this, either as a Printed piece or as a digital file to print your own? Or whether it's that financially viable to produce on any scale.
Please let me know if anyone would be interested in it.

It's definitely inspired me to have a go at some more components for my favourite games.

I have just noticed another post in a similar vein to this, hope I'm not treading on any toes by posting this.

Zbrush Digital sculpt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very awesome! If you start selling these out me in for one.

Keep posting what you make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Muraglia
Italy
Besano
Varese
flag msg tools
Count me in, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric D
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me three!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Caruana
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me four!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That is AWESOME!!!AMAZING job Leavon!! I definitely want one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the kind words folks! I've just dropped a mail to 2nd Gate to see if they would have any issues with me selling this piece. The design is based on the board tile so I don't want to get into any copyright issues. I'll keep you all updated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would probably be safe to sell them if they didn't have the logo on them...but if you don't sell them, any chance you could share the .stl files for those of us with 3D printers?

Awesome job, man
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
You were right Jeff, I've just spoken to 2nd gate and they are happy for me to sell them but without the "B" on the platform. In fact they liked it so much that they want me to send them a couple!
I'm probably going to set up an Etsy shop to sell through, I'll offer a painted version, unpainted and .STL file for sale.
I'll keep this thread updated, thanks for the interest everyone has expressed so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Fernández
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Awesome model!
we love it!
it fits perfectly in the game.
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
second gate games
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
GREAT!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep us posted; I'd like to order one as well.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a high quality printer. Which model?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys! I'm really flattered that 2nd Gate like it, it's a huge compliment.

The printer is a Wanhao D6, I wasn't expecting the quality to be as good as it is. I bought it to print larger, simpler pieces for replica props and it was such a pleasant surprise that the detail is as good as it is and that I can use it to print minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I think I was taken in by the Zbrush image at the top. So smooth! Still, after your nice paint job it looks really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
8 Weeks to BorderCon!!! And the Geeklist is up...go find it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't own the game but this is seriously amazing.

Sometime in the future I think manufacturing is in serious trouble, could make the great depression look like a blip in our history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anssi Johansson
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I want one too!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
My printer has been busy fulfilling an order for 2nd gate but I've refined the design to just 2 pieces now so assembly is just a matter of gluing the turntable to the base. I can now take orders but I think I'll have to do that through the Marketplace(I'm new to BGG and I'm not familiar with how things are done here). Could anyone clarify how I sell here?

Meanwhile here is a new sculpt I've done for a Talisman board centerpiece, The crown of command....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another AWESOME sculpt Leavon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Castells
Spain
Reus
Tarragona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great job ! thumbsup
I have always thought I would liked too much a catapult miniature before more enemies or additional heroes.

I'm very interested on this files or miniature ...

Have you thought about doing the four walls ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Ramon. I did think about the walls but I haven't figured out a way of making them at a reasonable size whilst being able to fit the minis on them, they would have to be quite big.

I'm ready to offer the catapult for sale as a Print and an STL but I'm not sure how I go about selling it on BGG, do I have to do it through the Market place or can I take orders in this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The catapult is now available to buy as a 3D print through my website!
http://www.leavon.co.uk/online-store

The digital download will be up in the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks really great and I appreciate the effort, but $35 US seems a bit high for a single model. It this a typical price point for a 3D printed figure? I'm not trying to be contrary, I just haven't ever priced a 3D printed model.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Pricing is a really tough one, I've tried to take into account these factors:
a) It takes around 10 hours to print the Catapult at 100 microns.
b) Materials used in the print
c) 10-20 minutes clean up time
d) and finally my time taken to design and re-iterate until it's right.

I am offering the digital file for sale so you could get it printed elsewhere although I have uploaded the file to a 3D hub and it came in at around £40 to print so I think with all these factors taken into account it's a fair price.
I realise it's not going to be for everyone and I wish I could afford to get it cast and offer it at a cheaper price which would mean I could sell more but it's not an option for me right now (unless anyone knows of a casting service?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.