Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WE are playing our first game soon and I want to make some basics clear for the hero players what they should look for to play a good and fun game.

So what what would you tell a new player to look for ? What should be their main objective to accomplish in phase I, II and III ? When will they be able to defeat monsters/minions in a fight ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should try to go for favor tokens. A horse is great. They should try to complete quests, if they can't collect favor easily.

Always try to discard plots which advance the marker 2 or 3 steps. There is no need to actively seek fights for them, unless the monsters/minions guard plots/favor. They gain nothing from winning a fight.

Priority order is:

1. Reach the end at least as fast as Sauron.
2. Complete the hidden objective, if 1. is true.
3. Hinder Sauron's possible hidden objectives. If 1 is not possible anymore, 3. becomes priority 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. To hinder Saurons hidden objectives you have to know them, right ?

Is this a game you can only play properly if you nearly know all cards and which will shine after playing some games ? I'm hoping it will be fun even on the first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is absolutly no need to know all the cards.
The secrent mission are only 5 cards for each side. I'm sure there are player aids for them. Also, the secret mission is ONLY relevant for the side that reaches the finale first/at the same time.

If you happen to have a final combat (which is quite likely), I strongly advise you to use this variant:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54828/group-combat-finale...

The normal final combat is a bit lame, as it pits one hero against one minion. This final combat takes longer, but allows all heroes to participate in the final combat and feels much more epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
There is absolutly no need to know all the cards.

But it's a big help, especially for the heroes to know the requirements of Sauron's Plots. "So, he's putting down X influence there, he's probably going for Plot Y, need to clear out some influence." Or "hmm, monster there, he's going for Plot X".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
They should try to go for favor tokens. A horse is great. They should try to complete quests, if they can't collect favor easily.

Always try to discard plots which advance the marker 2 or 3 steps. There is no need to actively seek fights for them, unless the monsters/minions guard plots/favor. They gain nothing from winning a fight.

Priority order is:

1. Reach the end at least as fast as Sauron.
2. Complete the hidden objective, if 1. is true.
3. Hinder Sauron's possible hidden objectives. If 1 is not possible anymore, 3. becomes priority 1.

great points.
also let both sides read what objective may have other side - they are written at the end of the rulebook. They probably will want to check them during the game as well.
And of course - be prepare for a reaaaaaaaaallllly long game - espacially if you are planning to play at 4. If you don't mind long games - this game can be a great one for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my limited experience, I find the ring plots the toughest for the heroes to manage (good ol Gollum) so prepare to defend them. I would not bother trying to clear the initial plot unless you really have to, usually makes way for a worse plot Sauron has in his hand.

Don't fight unless you have to, heroes are fast fast so go around if you can. As Sauron, minions and monsters slow the heroes down by making them use cards in combat or making them go around. They can do serious damage on occasion but don't count on it and compared to heroes, they move like a slow glacier. Fighting the Nazgul is mostly pointless, they just come back!

Not a big quest fan or character buff hero player. If I am swimming in favor or I can complete a quest along the way, sure, if not, take the favor and ignore the quests. That being said, getting the dwarf's wisdom up to 2 is a BIG help (Gandalf) and so is a horse/boat....

As Sauron, don't spend all of your actions on influence and minions/monsters. Cards can be a HUGE pain to the heroes and can really knock them off their strategy. Forces them to stop in havens and burn favor, keeps them from buffing their characters with impunity.

And... don't be afraid to send your hero into harm's way, they don't die! this is not a role playing game, use one of them to smash into the minion and go for max damage and be a hero, then use the others to clear the plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.