Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Handle with care (aka: missing cards) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Marquez
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself "lucky" due to the fact that I have a complete apex 2.0 game.
Since HH decided to vanished in thin air (with our money), I decided to help those that aren't so "lucky" and I began scanning the cards from the expansion packs, then added the booster deck, stomping dead... And finally I decided to scan all I have and upload that to Mega. There you can find this folders:

gooexpansions: The 6 expansions as they came in the box: Mega, Sauroph, Therizino, Sucho & SG: all 68 cards each - the missing 2 are reference cards that are in the z-misc folder. The 6th expansion is the Stomping Dead (KS exclusive) that came with 34 cards (including the setup card).

gooz-misc: Here you can find the cards that where modified from EP to SG but HH "forgot" to update ("ep vs 2.0 deck") in the "upgrade" tier of the second KS campaign according to this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22614294#22614294 and some files I donwloaded from DHG's page (while it was alive): basically, pnp versions of some decks.


goocomplete apex: The complete apex 2.0 as I have it:
meepleall 13 apex decks with 40 cards each (note: I didn't have the suchomimus decks. It was passed to me (the complete box) and I put it there as I received it, so there you can find the cards to complete all 40 for each apex and some other cards as preys, big games and so on that should be distributed in the other decks)

meepleother 5 decks: affliction, alert, def. stance & dis. area, environment and evolve

meepleall 7 hunt decks (prey, big game, titan, menace, predator, boss and minions)

meeplethe stomping dead deck

meeplez-misc: here are some misc files as card backs, the EP cards that where "forgot" in the 2.0 version, the latest versions I could get for the EP & SG rulebooks, cards dividers, the complete card list, the reference cards and finally, the "egg and carcasses": you should have one of these for each apex deck.

The only thing missing are the 4 exclusive cards of the first KS: "Rexenator" (Boos & 2 Minions) & "Fight for Dominance". If anyone have them, can you please share them so we all can have a complete game?
Edit: The 4 exclusive cards are in the "/complete apex/z-misc" folder!!
-----

I REALLY hope someday Herschell reappears and give us all we paid for, or at least, give us back our money... But I doubt that gonna happen any time soon (if at all), so in the meantime, I hope I can help some of you that have a very expensive paperweight.
So, if you are interested, send me a message an I'll give you the link to the folder... But please, handle with care because some people (*coff*HH*coff*) could consider this illegal and could give me some troubles...arrrh
22 
 Thumb up
3.51
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No links are present to any files so no need to take it down.

If you paid for it then there is nothing illegal about having a backup pdf copy. The same as copying any files you already own. You may always have a backup of it as it is already owned by you.

I can copy any of my games or even DVD movies and load into my cloud account and it is not illegal, only downloading them when you do not own it is illegal.

If you paid for this then you are entitled to a copy.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also argue that your actions are being taken to minimize the harm done by HH's absence. Keep in mind, he is the only one who has rights (that we know of) to ask to cease & desist. Assuming he showed up again (doubtful) he would have to explain to backers where the hell their missing cards are.

BTW, everyone who is missing cards should feel free to follow this link:

http://ag.ks.gov/file-a-complaint
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
nekrodamus wrote:

So, if you are interested, send me a message an I'll give you the link to the folder... But please, handle with care because some people (*coff*HH*coff*) could consider this illegal and could give me some troubles...arrrh


Well, the problem here is that what you are offering to do (distributing scans of copyrighted material) is not just considered illegal, it is in fact illegal.

I don't argue that Herschell should definitely speak up to let people know what is going on. If he is going bankrupt, or dealing with illness, or a death in the family, or something along those lines, a lot of us would understand, and would try to work with him to help get things sorted out. The fact that he has gone silent is certainly fueling the fire. It's possible he is getting legal advice to not talk about anything?

Please don't copy peoples work and distribute it. There are a million reasons why he is not responding, but until something changes, it is not your game to give out.

I do hope that this is worked out soon, there are cards I would like to be able to get in order to complete my copy of the game. Until then we will have to wait and see, unless someone here wants to contact a lawyer and pursue legal action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
nekrodamus wrote:

So, if you are interested, send me a message an I'll give you the link to the folder... But please, handle with care because some people (*coff*HH*coff*) could consider this illegal and could give me some troubles...arrrh


Well, the problem here is that what you are offering to do (distributing scans of copyrighted material) is not just considered illegal, it is in fact illegal.

I don't argue that Herschell should definitely speak up to let people know what is going on. If he is going bankrupt, or dealing with illness, or a death in the family, or something along those lines, a lot of us would understand, and would try to work with him to help get things sorted out. The fact that he has gone silent is certainly fueling the fire. It's possible he is getting legal advice to not talk about anything?

Please don't copy peoples work and distribute it. There are a million reasons why he is not responding, but until something changes, it is not your game to give out.

I do hope that this is worked out soon, there are cards I would like to be able to get in order to complete my copy of the game. Until then we will have to wait and see, unless someone here wants to contact a lawyer and pursue legal action.


I understand your point of view, that's why I ask to "handle with care". I'm not distributing the game to the whole world. I did not make a torrent for all to go and take. I'm trying to fix what HH broke, giving the possibility to the people who paid for it, to have at least a playable game.
The last "news" about the game are 4 months old. The company webpage was suspended one month ago and now is totally gone. HH is not responding emails nor messages (either from facebook, kickstarter or wherever), his last login in kickstarter is 1 month old, so he should have been read all the complaints in the campaign forum and did nothing. He didn't even write a single line apologizing or explaining what is happening (not even a "sorry guys, can't talk to you now"), but he is posting his dinos on deviantart almost every week (the last one is 3 days old - he even respond the comments there, being the last one two days old!) and selling them on Daz3D, so I really doubt that he has some kind of "unsolvable and overwhelming" problem if he is still making/posting/selling his models... I'm beggining to feel he is laughing at all of us who gave money to him (some of us even made that mistake twice)... Like you, I hope that this situation ends soon... But I really doubt that...
In the meantime, I'm trying to help, that's my only intention.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it seems highly unlikely that HH still has much of any of the money that he got from either of the KS projects. It is clear that the original KS project was...completed in so far as it being actually physically produced and delivered to HH. And most of us backers got something from the second KS project even if many are in the same boat I am and didn't get the booster pack. Now, I have no idea exactly how much each unit cost to produce, or exactly how much shipping (remember they all had to travel on boat to the distribution center and then again to wherever the pledge addresses are/were) had cost per unit, but I'm gonna estimate that a good 75-80% of funds were used up to that point.

I also believe it when HH said that costs from the first campaign was under-calculated and that all the funds from the KS project was used up and didn't cover all the shipping. The second campaign was probably calculated more precisely, but, I'm guessing that the profit margins were still pretty thin. And if what was said here is correct and HH is still active on Deviant, then I'm guessing the mistake of not including the booster pack in the upgrade tier would have cost him what little profit he was suppose to have gotten from the second KS plus a not insignificant sum out of his own pocket (this is for production, frieght to the distributor and then out to backers). So he just gave up at that point and here we are today.

...or I can be completely wrong and HH had actually made closer to 50% profit from the two projects and is now laughing at us while he swims in the $55+K he stole from us.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can assure you all that both KS campaigns wound up costing HH in the end. There was no profit at all for 3 years of work. The first one due to some errors on his side and being misquoted. The second time was strictly him being strong armed by the fulfillment company and the MFG creating massive errors and unwilling to correct any issues.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nekrodamus wrote:

In the meantime, I'm trying to help, that's my only intention.


I don't think anyone doubts that you have good intentions. But this isn't legal, and it's not the right way to go about fixing the mistakes here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
nekrodamus wrote:

In the meantime, I'm trying to help, that's my only intention.


I don't think anyone doubts that you have good intentions. But this isn't legal, and it's not the right way to go about fixing the mistakes here.


That's the beauty of the law though. Regardless of what is legal or not, its up to people to enforce their own rights. "Breaking the law" isn't as black and white as people think it is. Heck, companies breach contracts (which is breaking the law) all the time, and it is often a legitimate business practice. Unlike Disney, there are no DHG copyright police waiting to kick in anyone's doors. It would require HH to actually show up and do something. I'd love for HH to show up and answer the questions he's been dodging for months. The odds of him showing back up are slim, and if he did, he'd have bigger problems then looking into something like this. Better yet, if he managed to get an attorney, I'd be the first person in line asking that attorney for answers.

Again, I encourage anyone who is missing stuff to reach out to HH here:
http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms

HH has abandoned ship and I'm cool with anyone willing to take the deck chairs to salvage this mess.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
nekrodamus wrote:

In the meantime, I'm trying to help, that's my only intention.


I don't think anyone doubts that you have good intentions. But this isn't legal, and it's not the right way to go about fixing the mistakes here.


That's the beauty of the law though. Regardless of what is legal or not, its up to people to enforce their own rights.


You can't say "regardless" in front of that sentence, and it's not up to people to enforce their own rights. In the US, in fact, people can't enforce their own rights. It's up to every citizen to promote the rights of all, and it's up to the State to enforce the laws. Most of the time, breaking the law is clear-cut. In fact, if the law isn't clear enough that there's a way to know if you're breaking it, that raises constitutional issues.

This isn't a fuzzy issue. Hosting these files is clearly breaking the law. And it's the duty of citizens out there to call something out when they view something they believe is illegal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:


You can't say "regardless" in front of that sentence, and it's not up to people to enforce their own rights. In the US, in fact, people can't enforce their own rights. It's up to every citizen to promote the rights of all, and it's up to the State to enforce the laws. Most of the time, breaking the law is clear-cut. In fact, if the law isn't clear enough that there's a way to know if you're breaking it, that raises constitutional issues.

This isn't a fuzzy issue. Hosting these files is clearly breaking the law. And it's the duty of citizens out there to call something out when they view something they believe is illegal.


Nope. You are confusing civil law and criminal law. Its the role and duty of the state to enforce and prosecute criminal law matters and to serve as a venue for individuals to enforce their own civil claims (such as enforcing copyright claims). Occasionally, the state can represent individuals on civil claims when specifically authorized by law(such as pursuing consumer protection matters in the above link) but there is no DA or AG's office authorized to pursue copyright matters (unless such rights were held by the government itself). Copyright law strictly shifts the burden to police and prosecute such matters on the holder of the copyright. That's why you'd be laughed at for calling 911 on a copyright matter.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This isn't a fuzzy issue. Hosting these files is clearly breaking the law. And it's the duty of citizens out there to call something out when they view something they believe is illegal.


I am no snitch, never wanted to be hall monitor and do not live in an HOA area as I cannot stand those people who like to call out others.

If it is a Copyright violation then the holder of that copyright needs to get involved. You can call him out all you want for hosting the files but until an official complaint is made he can leave them up as long as he wants.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturm88 wrote:
I can assure you all that both KS campaigns wound up costing HH in the end. There was no profit at all for 3 years of work. The first one due to some errors on his side and being misquoted. The second time was strictly him being strong armed by the fulfillment company and the MFG creating massive errors and unwilling to correct any issues.


And yet, as seen in so many other campaigns, describing this himself, explaining why he never submitted the order for the missing booster decks, could get some positive support on his side. Instead he just throws up stuff on DeviantArt and responds to nothing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. I may look into this as a solution for my situation.

I bought the base game in a FLGS back in the spring. However, when I started sorting and sleeving the cards I discovered that two required decks were missing from the box. Instead I had a duplicate pack of cards which made the game unplayable for me. I requested replacement cards by email several times over the past few months but no response. I was about to throw the entire game away when I saw this post.

This might make it possible for me to actually play the game I purchased.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturm88 wrote:
I can assure you all that both KS campaigns wound up costing HH in the end. There was no profit at all for 3 years of work. The first one due to some errors on his side and being misquoted. The second time was strictly him being strong armed by the fulfillment company and the MFG creating massive errors and unwilling to correct any issues.


Well, if he doesn't make good with the people that backed his game and gave him money, he will never be able to make games again and he will be shunned and scorned wherever he turns up. So it will cost him that as well.

If he would communicate and be honest, it would be greatly appreciated. For me to give him $88 and get left holding the bag, while some backers of the first KS still never got their games (which is absurd), and then he just goes into stealth mode, that's just sad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Duerksen
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can say with good certainty Herschel has shirked his responsibilities and decided to just leave everyone three sheets to the wind...he posts consistently on his Deviant Art page, but has disappeared from anywhere having to do with his game. I'm frankly tempted to try to organize people to start commenting on his Deviant Art submissions to show him he can't just cut and run and evade responsibility, even if it's just online backlash.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
COGGaming wrote:
I think we can say with good certainty Herschel has shirked his responsibilities and decided to just leave everyone three sheets to the wind...he posts consistently on his Deviant Art page, but has disappeared from anywhere having to do with his game. I'm frankly tempted to try to organize people to start commenting on his Deviant Art submissions to show him he can't just cut and run and evade responsibility, even if it's just online backlash.


I commented... he just blocks your account from posting. It's a one-time gig. Make sure it's from a throwaway account. Still, could be worthwhile to make sure he knows people are pissed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
COGGaming wrote:
I think we can say with good certainty Herschel has shirked his responsibilities and decided to just leave everyone three sheets to the wind...he posts consistently on his Deviant Art page, but has disappeared from anywhere having to do with his game. I'm frankly tempted to try to organize people to start commenting on his Deviant Art submissions to show him he can't just cut and run and evade responsibility, even if it's just online backlash.


I commented... he just blocks your account from posting. It's a one-time gig. Make sure it's from a throwaway account. Still, could be worthwhile to make sure he knows people are pissed.


This is a sad end to a fun game soblue
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
COGGaming wrote:
I think we can say with good certainty Herschel has shirked his responsibilities and decided to just leave everyone three sheets to the wind...he posts consistently on his Deviant Art page, but has disappeared from anywhere having to do with his game. I'm frankly tempted to try to organize people to start commenting on his Deviant Art submissions to show him he can't just cut and run and evade responsibility, even if it's just online backlash.


I commented... he just blocks your account from posting. It's a one-time gig. Make sure it's from a throwaway account. Still, could be worthwhile to make sure he knows people are pissed.


Once again, if you want to be a real thorn in his side, fill out a complaint here:

http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
eypyeash wrote:
COGGaming wrote:
I think we can say with good certainty Herschel has shirked his responsibilities and decided to just leave everyone three sheets to the wind...he posts consistently on his Deviant Art page, but has disappeared from anywhere having to do with his game. I'm frankly tempted to try to organize people to start commenting on his Deviant Art submissions to show him he can't just cut and run and evade responsibility, even if it's just online backlash.


I commented... he just blocks your account from posting. It's a one-time gig. Make sure it's from a throwaway account. Still, could be worthwhile to make sure he knows people are pissed.


Once again, if you want to be a real thorn in his side, fill out a complaint here:

http://ag.ks.gov/file-a-complaint


Done, though with no company address, and no phone number, it's not likely to do much. The company isn't registered anywhere I searched. Anyone having luck another way?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
66539
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:
eypyeash wrote:
COGGaming wrote:
I think we can say with good certainty Herschel has shirked his responsibilities and decided to just leave everyone three sheets to the wind...he posts consistently on his Deviant Art page, but has disappeared from anywhere having to do with his game. I'm frankly tempted to try to organize people to start commenting on his Deviant Art submissions to show him he can't just cut and run and evade responsibility, even if it's just online backlash.


I commented... he just blocks your account from posting. It's a one-time gig. Make sure it's from a throwaway account. Still, could be worthwhile to make sure he knows people are pissed.


Once again, if you want to be a real thorn in his side, fill out a complaint here:

http://ag.ks.gov/file-a-complaint


Done, though with no company address, and no phone number, it's not likely to do much. The company isn't registered anywhere I searched. Anyone having luck another way?


https://www.kansas.gov/bess/flow/main?execution=e1s6

Do a search on Die Hard Games.

This is his registered info with the State of Kansas. You have 2 addys you can mail correspondence to HH.

Because HH is in Johnson County Kansas, you should use this link to file a complaint:

http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.whois.com/whois/die-hardgames.com
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.