1 , 2  Next »   | 

First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Wait for this or Robinson Crusoe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
I was waiting on the re-release of Robinson Crusoe but then I discovered this game is coming out. I know details are scant, but do you think this will be a better game than Robinson Crusoe, and worthy of the wait, or are both different enough that you can own both? To me it seems like this game is better than RC as it's RC and with a really cool implementation of a legacy game and campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little premature, without knowing how the app and game mesh together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm more asking for people's educated guesses. Is it worth picking up Robinson Crusoe in November or waiting a couple of months to hear more about this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:
I'm more asking for people's educated guesses. Is it worth picking up Robinson Crusoe in November or waiting a couple of months to hear more about this game?

I guess it depends how much you like the Robinson Crusoe theme. If you love it (enjoy the book and/or Castaway film, eating bananas and coconuts etc...), you should definitely pick the new version up !
I think First martians will be similar mechanics but with a slightly different theme (still about surviving but with space stuffs ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:

FWIW, I played a lot RC and have decided to trade it away after I heard about FM, mostly because I think the app would really enhance the gameplay (less fiddly, more and updated content, less setup).

I'd say, if the RC theme speaks to you buy it, play it, then flip it for a modest amount if you don't like it or you want to buy FM. Or keep both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
This is what I thought. I going to wait and see what this game is like now. It will be interesting to see how the app is implemented as I have only experienced apps that replace Dungeon Masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:

Based on what I've read, First Martians is still in game development. Then there is the production that will follow on completion. I think that sounds like approximately a year before First Martians is out and there is no guarantee on that. I'm not complaining as I'd rather wait and purchase the best game possible.

Based on that, I'd personally suggest getting Robinson Crusoe. That way you can play a game that's beloved by many in the mean time. I also doubt one will replace the other. Between the theme and the addition of the app, I'm sure they will be a very different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must admit, I'm rather hoping this might get Robinson Crusoe down in price a wee bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anevilgiraffe wrote:
I must admit, I'm rather hoping this might get Robinson Crusoe down in price a wee bit...

The upcoming 2nd edition of Robinson Crusoe might bring the price down too. I like the setting of Robinson Crusoe (not having played it) and wish some driven, caffeinated programmer would write a web-based companion app for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hicks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:
...or are both different enough that you can own both?

I think that even if the underlying mechanisms are the same, the story and component theming will lead to a very different experience. Even individual campaigns within Robinson Crusoe have a strongly unique feel to them, with specific scenario rules and wildly differing goals.

Jacko1235 wrote:
...it's RC and with a really cool implementation of a legacy game and campaign.

A lot of praise has been heaped on both the Legacy system and the Crossroads card system from Dead of Winter in recent years. They're both excellent mechanisms, but I actually feel that the combination of Robinson Crusoe scenario and event cards is far better. If Ignacy had had the foresight to think of a catchy brand name everyone would be clamouring for it in every game. It's truly modular, replayable and highly adaptable. In fact, I feel that the surface has barely been scratched with card deck upgrades (lost dinosaur island scenario card and animal deck please?). If I have one reservation about First Martians it's that it may lose some of that flexibility and be a more linear, "Pandemic: Legacy" like experience. This could narrow the game's scope and replayability somewhat.

If I sound a little gushing, I should probably point out that I took a while to warm to Robinson Crusoe (a combination of gaming inexperience and the Z-Man rules). I now think it's an astonishingly good game. Unless it's panned on release, I suspect First Martians will sit alongside Robinson Crusoe on my shelf for some years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read or heard in a video that he said it's delayed, so won't be only early next year. I'd get RC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best game about being stranded on a planet: Crusoe's Planet.

Plus, it has:
1. Being on a planet
2. Being stranded
3. The word Crusoe in the title

Seems to hit three marks that the other games take 2 games in order to hit!!!

wait...

I guess Ol' Robinson is stuck on the planet Earth technically. But still! Great game!

#onlypartiallysequitur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RC apparently has a play time up to 3 hours, Whereas FM is about 1 hour. That might be relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been asking myself the same question and came up with this break down of my thoughts so far

Theme: island castaway vs space stranded. My gaming friends have a strong inclination here (I could more easily 'sell' RCs theme to my friends than I could FM's theme, that is because some of my friends will have their spouses over occasionally for our game nights and RC is more relateable in thematic concept than space stuff)

Rules: One of my hesitations for getting RC all this time has been the fact that there appears to simply be a lot to keep track of. I say this as someone who plays tabletop RPGs so my friends and I aren't afraid of rules of tracking things, BUT when we play board games it's because we're in the mood for something lighter. So I'm waiting to see how much the app reduces rules tracking issues

Price: well I don't know the price yet for FM so I can't compare those two points, but that is also a consideration when I make a purchase decision

In the end I've decided I'll wait for more info on FM. and then I'll either get RC or FM...

Anyway, just tossing my thought process out there in case it helps you with yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for me it all comes down to the app. I very much dislike apps in board games. Therefore I will go with RC. Only problem for me is, that I would prefer the space theme a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hicks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
Well, for me it all comes down to the app. I very much dislike apps in board games. Therefore I will go with RC. Only problem for me is, that I would prefer the space theme a lot.

Although Robinson Crusoe can be a little fiddly, I think an app would feel quite out of place. I do think it could (if done very well) feel very thematic with First Martians though. Maybe a Pipboy style of interface, or a spooky HAL2000 AI who may or may not be guiding you in the right direction.

One point I would make though, is that the video gaming industry has (mostly) learnt the value of fan modding and user generated content. Robinson Crusoe has also appeared to benefit from active forums and fan written scenarios.
If the app for First Martians embraced this concept, it could raise the profile of the game, increase the fan base and diminish all those arguments about longevity and technological obsolescence (which I don't really buy into, but it would be nice to be certain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
get both games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting RC now. If you want the new hotness, get the new release coming at Essen... it claims to have improved components and a smaller box... but the gameplay is the same and the rulebook has been improved.

If you're OK with the occasional FAQ read or printing off a player aide or two, grab the current version... I have to assume the price for a used copy will be pretty reasonable considering 2nd edition is coming out. It's not like there are a ton of rule changes or anything and I don't see RC 1st ed being some sort of cult collectors dream... so a used copy shouldn't be too hard to find (or trade for).

If you like the game, you can then get on board the FM train once it arrives (sounds like a year out). If you don't love it, you've saved yourself buying FM and you can flip RC, essentially renting the game for a few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lister santos
Brazil
sao paulo
sao paulo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Robinson crusoe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
I'd recommend getting RC now. If you want the new hotness, get the new release coming at Essen... it claims to have improved components and a smaller box... but the gameplay is the same and the rulebook has been improved.

If you're OK with the occasional FAQ read or printing off a player aide or two, grab the current version... I have to assume the price for a used copy will be pretty reasonable considering 2nd edition is coming out. It's not like there are a ton of rule changes or anything and I don't see RC 1st ed being some sort of cult collectors dream... so a used copy shouldn't be too hard to find (or trade for).

If you like the game, you can then get on board the FM train once it arrives (sounds like a year out). If you don't love it, you've saved yourself buying FM and you can flip RC, essentially renting the game for a few months.

The 2nd edition rules for Robinson Crusoe are online, so you can use them with the first edition (which I just scored for $35)

I no longer know how to make internal links.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137303/robinson-crusoe-20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played either, but I'm buying both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:

As someone who has been through the "journey" Portal takes you on ... Stronghold v1, Pret a Porter, Robinson Crusoe, Stronghold v2 ... I would advise you to wait on the Mars game until it is well and truly bedded in. Portal releases seem to come with a ton of post publication "development".

The new edition of Robinson Crusoe looks solid and it is a wonderfully immersive game. I'd heartily recommend you go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Jacko1235 wrote:

As someone who has been through the "journey" Portal takes you on ... Stronghold v1, Pret a Porter, Robinson Crusoe, Stronghold v2 ... I would advise you to wait on the Mars game until it is well and truly bedded in. Portal releases seem to come with a ton of post publication "development".

The new edition of Robinson Crusoe looks solid and it is a wonderfully immersive game. I'd heartily recommend you go with that.
Really? There are gameplay changes to RC? I thought that it was largely a rules re-write and some repackaging. Certainly RC v1 is a "solid" game as is, it just has a painful rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Really? There are gameplay changes to RC? I thought that it was largely a rules re-write and some repackaging. Certainly RC v1 is a "solid" game as is, it just has a painful rulebook.

No, game play looks the same. Did I say it had changed? But you'd have to go with the new edition of RC, as you'd assume it's much tighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Quote:

No, game play looks the same. Did I say it had changed? But you'd have to go with the new edition of RC, as you'd assume it's much tighter.
I interpreted your comment as implying that there were gameplay changes in RC2 because of your statements about "post publication development", waiting until a game is "bedded in" and the structuring of your post.

So what are you trying to say in your post, I can't really figure it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.