Subject: Notifications? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In these forums, do we get notifications if someone tags us or quotes us? Or ONLY if we subscribed to that certain thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artorig wrote:
In these forums, do we get notifications if someone tags us or quotes us?

No.
Quote:
Or ONLY if we subscribed to that certain thread.

You can set your subscription settings to tell you when a thread you've subscribed to gets new comments (regardless of whether or not they mention or quote you.)

(You can also set it to automatically subscribe you to any thread you create, and to any thread in which you comment. I find that very convenient.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if I'm interested enough to comment in a thread, I doubt I'd want to walk away from it completely. That's like a forum version of ding-dong-ditch.

I'll set my stuffs to auto. Thanks!

(I do think you should get notified if you're tagged/mentioned though. But maybe that's just a Facebook mentality.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Artorig wrote:
In these forums, do we get notifications if someone tags us or quotes us?

No.
Quote:
Or ONLY if we subscribed to that certain thread.

You can set your subscription settings to tell you when a thread you've subscribed to gets new comments (regardless of whether or not they mention or quote you.)

(You can also set it to automatically subscribe you to any thread you create, and to any thread in which you comment. I find that very convenient.)

How do you do the latter please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremylaurie wrote:
russ wrote:

Click (at the top of the page where it says "(some number) new" to go to your subscriptions page:
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions

Click Preferences to go to:
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/prefs

In the lefthand column look for "Subscribe by default when I post or reply to..." and set them as you like. (I set all 7 of them to "Yes".) The field "Threads" there is the specific answer to your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Artorig wrote:
(I do think you should get notified if you're tagged/mentioned though. But maybe that's just a Facebook mentality.)

The mechanism is a different here than in Facebook. Here, quoting just copies and pastes text, essentially. Your username is on the quote above, but it's just text, not a link.

It's against BGG rules to misattribute a quote, but it can happen by accident when a quote is edited down to just what the poster wants to respond to (as I edited your quote). Attributing all mentions, as of Artorig, is not really possible since some people choose quite common words or names or names of games as usernames--how would the system know the difference?

The forum system here is closer to comments on blogs.

This is just for your information; no criticism meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries! Thanks for your info. And yeah, I know casual mentions would be hard to trigger a notification due to common words, I meant actual tagging with a geek link like so:

Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, even if you subscribed to yourself, there's no subscriptions for username uses. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artorig wrote:
No worries! Thanks for your info. And yeah, I know casual mentions would be hard to trigger a notification due to common words, I meant actual tagging with a geek link like so:

Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In practice, I think such a facility would not do much for you anyway. The vast majority of time that I see someone mention another user, they only type the name itself (e.g. "Artorig said blah-blah") instead of bothering to insert the formal code (e.g. "
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
said blah-blah"). (And that's a Good Thing that people usually just type the name, since seeing those coded avatar blocks constantly would really annoyingly break the text flow of most comments...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
jeremylaurie wrote:
russ wrote:

Click (at the top of the page where it says "(some number) new" to go to your subscriptions page:
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions

Click Preferences to go to:
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/prefs

In the lefthand column look for "Subscribe by default when I post or reply to..." and set them as you like. (I set all 7 of them to "Yes".) The field "Threads" there is the specific answer to your question.

Many thanks Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.