Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mitchell
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many, I was swept away in the torrent of news yesterday, and Mechs Vs. Minions has quickly jumped to the top of my buy list. Still, I am a little surprised to not see a review or comment from Shut Up & Sit Down yet. Clearly there were some errors with putting up news too early, but it is also clear that Quinn's especially gave input during the design process, and I would love to hear some of Shut Up & Sit Downs thoughts around this game. I expect they will be positive (as others have been). And perhaps this is just a waiting game. But it does feel like a voice is missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have searched for exactly the same thing!

Even some FB post said news was from their website... but Google doesn't find "shutupandsitdown riot/mechs/minions" anything related...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered about that as well. If letting the news slip early, breaking an embargo maybe, would have a penalty of some sort like missing out on the media frenzy of yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
From Polygon:

"Riot paid to fly out The Dice Tower’s Tom Vasal and Shut Up & Sit Down’s Quintin Smith out to their headquarters. Each of the game critics were compensated for a private, intensive playtest and consultation.

"We had Tom come out first," Cantrell said. "At the end he said, ‘I don’t know why you’re worried. I think you’ve got a great game!’ We were doing high-fives. And I remember somebody even asking, ‘Well, do we still even want Quintin to come out?’ But he already had his flight, so we might as well.

"Quintin came and he played it, and he said, ‘I’ll be honest. I loved it. ... But frankly I don’t think I’d ever play it again.’" Smith declined to be interviewed for this article.

Cantrell says that during the second day of his visit, Smith's input helped to change the creative direction for the entire game. He was the one who recommended modular game boards so that each session could be different, and brought up the idea of an ongoing campaign that would build a story arc over time.

"And as he’s talking about it, I’m thinking, ‘Man. He’s right. That does sound like a much better game than the game we made.’ Then the producer in me knew that now we basically had to design 10 different board games. And that’s a lot more work."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In their accidental leak last week Quinns specifically said that he would not be reviewing the game due to his involvement in its development.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Svj6E

Quote:
In other words, you’re going to be hearing a lot about this game.

…But! You won’t be hearing about it on this site. At least not from me, because the second thing you need to know is that I did some design consultancy on this game. So as interesting and generous as Mechs Vs. Minions is, it’s also represents a giant conflict of interest that we can’t go near.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
In their accidental leak last week Quinns specifically said that he would not be reviewing the game due to his involvement in its development.

Quote:

…But! You won’t be hearing about it on this site. At least not from me, because the second thing you need to know is that I did some design consultancy on this game. So as interesting and generous as Mechs Vs. Minions is, it’s also represents a giant conflict of interest that we can’t go near.

Good find. This is the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mitchell
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for finding. This is what I was looking for. Now back to the previously scheduled hype. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Lee also posted the same thing on Twitter today:
https://twitter.com/Jam_sponge/status/778177538325643264

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the more of these that sell, the more money Quinns gets and more SU&SD stuff we get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some really great insight into the development of the game, you should listen to the interviews with Chris and Rick from RIOT on RDTN and Secret Cabal podcasts. They go into so much detail about how the project came together and speak directly to how Tom and Quinns contributed.

Also, you can hear how ridiculously humbled they are about their game. It's kind of crazy.

Rolling Dice & Taking Names - http://media.blubrry.com/rolldicetakenames/p/s91339643.onlin...

Secret Cabal - http://traffic.libsyn.com/thesecretcabalgamingpodcast/018Sec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Riot paid to fly out The Dice Tower’s Tom Vasal ... out to their headquarters. Each of the game critics were compensated for a private, intensive playtest and consultation.

That's worked out so well for companies who have done this for Tom before...

Quote:

"At the end he said, ‘I don’t know why you’re worried. I think you’ve got a great game!’

This is my shocked face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
What's most shocking is that you've got Vasel coming in and already stating it's a great game, Quinns then coming in and them having another 1,5 years of work ahead of them because of the many changes he deemed necessary and flaws he found in the same game Vasel told them not to worry about...

Makes me wonder....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Imgur post tells all we need to know. Quinns seems to have played a big role in the late development of the game, more so than Tom, which explains his silence. He is, very professionally, staying away from critiquing the game due to his involvement. The "missing voice" should be commended for distancing himself from the critical side of the industry in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
What's most shocking is that you've got Vasel coming in and already stating it's a great game, Quinns then coming in and them having another 1,5 years of work ahead of them because of the many changes he deemed necessary and flaws he found in the same game Vasel told them not to worry about...

Makes me wonder....

I wondered about that too, but listening to the Secret Cabal interview, Chris Cantrell from Riot talked about how much advice Tom gave on polishing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

Makes me wonder....

I wondered about that too, but listening to the Secret Cabal interview, Chris Cantrell from Riot talked about how much advice Tom gave on polishing the game.

According to Tom, he's the one that suggested they make it co-op. That's fairly significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

Makes me wonder....

According to Tom, he's the one that suggested they make it co-op. That's fairly significant.

Source? I thought that was Quinns and I don't remember Tom saying that in the Miami Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:

Source? I thought that was Quinns and I don't remember Tom saying that in the Miami Dice.

He does mention it at the beginning of Miami Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
AndySzy wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

Makes me wonder....

It's possible they both suggested that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Kirk Agathon wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

Makes me wonder....

Source: Tom, Miami Dice review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:
Riot paid to fly out The Dice Tower’s Tom Vasal ... out to their headquarters. Each of the game critics were compensated for a private, intensive playtest and consultation.

That's worked out so well for companies who have done this for Tom before...

I don't hear CMON or Arcane Wonders complaining. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Monsuwe
Netherlands
flag msg tools
TheShib wrote:
moosemcd wrote:

Quote:

Good find. This is the answer.

Answer update: SU&SD mentioned MvM on their (currently) latest news post (https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/games-news-260916/), and Quinns mentioned he gave the game to Pip for reviewing, and that that will be out on October 5th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.