7 Posts

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » Rules

Subject: READ-AND-REACT Option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have precisions about the use of R&R option by the offense because the quick reference sheets is not very clear for me (I'm a poor french player!).

1. Does the offense can use the R&R option if the defensive coach has not use it previously?

2. If the defensive coach use the R&R option, what are conditions to utilize it?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The offense can only R&R if the defense has first chosen to R&R on that specific card flip. As the defense, you will have times where you deliberately choose not to R&R because you can see that the offense will get to do something even better if you give them the opportunity to R&R themselves.

2) You must have at least one card on your bench (so that you're swapping in the new card). Other than that, there are no limits on when you can R&R. But it does use up your bench quickly and it's a more limited activation than normal (you lose the option for a half-move-and-action), so don't go into a play expecting to R&R at every opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
1) The offense can only R&R if the defense has first chosen to R&R on that specific card flip. As the defense, you will have times where you deliberately choose not to R&R because you can see that the offense will get to do something even better if you give them the opportunity to R&R themselves.

Thank you for the quick reply.

In fact, I made a mistake for my second question ...
The question was "2. If the offensive coach use the R&R option, what are conditions to utilize it?"

Can you give a realistic example of using the R&R?
This is the term "on that specific card flip" that I do not understand.

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
barney521 wrote:
In fact, I made a mistake for my second question ...
The question was "2. If the offensive coach use the R&R option, what are conditions to utilize it?"

If the defensive coach has exercised his option to read-and-react after both coaches have flipped over their cards but before deciding who will go first, the offensive coach will then have the option to do the same.

barney521 wrote:
Can you give a realistic example of using the R&R?

If I understand your question, I believe you want to know when it would be useful on offense. If that's the case, the offensive coach could use a read-and-react to swap to:
- a player with the ball to throw a pass
- a player with the ball to perform a run
- a player that you want to move into the open on a passing route
- a player for the purpose of performing an adjustment [this can be used to send multiple receivers into passing lanes, collapse on a blitzer, start a running play, etc.]
- a player to with the intent of running under an airborne pass in an attempt to catch it
- do so many other things depending on the situation!

barney521 wrote:
This is the term "on that specific card flip" that I do not understand.

That means that it only applies to that particular card comparison. On a future card flip, the offensive coach will still have to wait for the defensive coach to perform a read-and-react before he would be allowed to do the same on that specific card flip. Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case a different phrasing is helpful:

The offensive coach has the option to R&R in two specific cases:
1) If the defensive coach has just replaced his flipped card with a R&R card[/b] (nearly all of the time, this is the only method)
2) If the offensive coach can satisfy the "QB Read" skill -- if the defense didn't R&R, the offense can R&R to a player with QB Read if that player has the ball (if the defense did R&R, case 1 applies).

"that specific card flip":
Suppose we've just started a play. Offense flipped card 58, defense flipped 43. The defense R&R's to card 66. The offense chooses not to R&R. We resolve those activations.

Next, Offense flips card 39, defense flips card 52. Defense chooses not to R&R. The offense would really like to R&R, for whatever reason, but they cannot, because the defense did not R&R on this specific card flip. It doesn't matter that they did on a previous card flip; that one doesn't count any more. So, the offense has to wait to be newly eligible to R&R each time a play call card is revealed.

A full example:
On the first activation, Offense gets the ball to #7 (their fast player) out on one edge of the field. Defense #66 is adjacent and in position to make the tackle. Defense #52 is 4 spaces away, too far to move and tackle in one activation. How that happens doesn't really matter, but it turns out that the offense didn't really plan for it in their play call.

We flip play card #2: Offense flips 39, defense flips 66. The defense player is higher, and so will get to choose who goes first. The defense will choose to go first and attempt the tackle with #66. The offense would like to R&R to #7, which would give the offense the first move and a lot of yardage before #66 comes in for the tackle. However, because the defense didn't R&R, the offense isn't allowed to. Tackle for no gain, good play for the defense.

Changing the scenario slightly, the defense instead flips 52. #52 is close enough to move to threaten #7, but not close enough to tackle. The defense would like to make the tackle. He could do that if he R&R's to #66. However, if he does that, he gives the offense a chance to R&R to #7, who would then win initiative and run downfield, plus #66's activation being R&R means that he won't be allowed to do a move-and-tackle activation, he'll only be able to chase.

So, in this case, the defense can choose to stay with #52, move next to #7, and not make a tackle (and then see what happens from there), or R&R to #66 to try to make a tackle, risking that the offense will be able to R&R to #7 and move away from trouble before that can happen. In this case, I as the defender would lean toward staying with the current call rather than risk giving my opponent a better play.

Changing the scenario again: Instead of #7, the offense's player is now #58 (and the play cards are still offense 39, defense 52). Now the defense can more safely R&R to #66 for the tackle, because the offense can't R&R to the ball carrier in order to move first (66 will win over 58).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very clear now, no doubt.

thanks a lot you two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
barney521 wrote:
It's very clear now, no doubt.

thanks a lot you two!

My pleasure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.