Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: This post is intended for players who are actively seeking to limit game time a priori. The game modifications discussed below are not intended for groups that are comfortable with an open time frame in which the game may unfold naturally.

Depending on the number of players, the cards they are dealt, and their relative experience and craftiness, the player versus player second part of Zimby Mojo has the potential to run long. For some players, that may present a difficulty in getting it to the table because of the unpredictability of this part of the game. So, below are a few ways to put the brakes on part two if you are so inclined!

Method 1: (This was in the original design but removed based on play test feedback.) Do not reshuffle the discard pile to create a new scroll library. When the scroll library is depleted -- the first refresh that one or more shamans cannot draw a card -- the game immediately ends. You can declare a complete loss or award the win to shaman who is in possession of the Crown or who's tribal board is closest to the Crown if it is lying on the ground.

Method 2: When the King dies, his blood mojo is no longer available to maintain the blood tickets and blood vines so they die off over two rounds. Suppose his blood mojo also sustains the scroll library, and it begins to decay and crumble when the King dies? Here's how that could play out: during wrap up in the round the King dies, reduce the Scroll Library to just 4X or 5X cards, where X is the number of players (e.g., 4X = 16 for a 4 player game). The game ends when the Scroll Library is depleted (a la Method 1). Advantage: shorter part 2; disadvantage: predictable end timing and inability to plot long game strategy.

Method 3: This is the same storyline as Method 2 but unpredictably rots away the Scroll Library. In this story, all the scrolls in the Scroll Library have been protected from decay by the King's blood mojo. When that blood mojo is no longer available, the scrolls begin to decay and rot away. This adds a new mechanism to wrap up: a) roll X=2d4, b) remove the bottom X-many scrolls in the discard pile from the game, c) remove the top X-many scrolls from the Scroll Library and place them on top of the discard pile. The game then ends when the Scroll Library is depleted (a la Method 1). Advantage: faster part 2 with random end timing; disadvantage, inability to play out longer strategies.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who tries one of these out! Personally, I am partial to Method 3. If I ever redo the rules, I will add these (or something very similar) as optional ending rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.