$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: War game tile question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on average how large are the tiles? I've only seen pictures of them but I have never played one and I'm working on a game that uses tiles.

Right now my tiles are 1 inch squared and that allows for enough information needed to play plus a picture as well. I am hoping that wont be too large.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean the counters they are typically 1/2" or 5/8" to fit most hex maps.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counter sizes have been growing larger. In the "old days", 1/2 counters were standard; now 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, or even 1" counters are available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. The game that I am working on isn't a war game but I want to be able to have space for icons and decent sized artwork
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It all depends on the game you're designing and what the tiles represent. The game I'm currently working on has different sized tiles. Most are 24cm x 48cm (that's around 1in x 2in) but they go up to 48cm x 96cm (2in x 4in). The game is in an advanced stage of design and has been play tested and the tiles work well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
It all depends on the game you're designing and what the tiles represent. The game I'm currently working on has different sized tiles. Most are 24cm x 48cm (that's around 1in x 2in) but they go up to 48cm x 96cm (2in x 4in). The game is in an advanced stage of design and has been play tested and the tiles work well.


Thanks for that. Thinking about it there are a lot of games that have different sized tiles. I am making a solo dungeon crawler so there are a lot of tiles to represent different things in order to have an asymmetrical play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my dungeon crawler homebrew I'm using minis, but for things like items and powers mini-tiles of 3/4 to 1.25", for same reason ... Fit an icon and a line or two of symbols/text for what it does.

Vs. for true hex and counter games, the most common ones I saw were 1/2".

The biggest tiles have been for games like Alien Uprising, after that mini-cards start to take over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Counter sizes have been growing larger. In the "old days", 1/2 counters were standard; now 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, or even 1" counters are available.
That's because the gamers are getting older and their eyes are getting weaker whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
For my dungeon crawler homebrew I'm using minis, but for things like items and powers mini-tiles of 3/4 to 1.25", for same reason ... Fit an icon and a line or two of symbols/text for what it does.

Vs. for true hex and counter games, the most common ones I saw were 1/2".

The biggest tiles have been for games like Alien Uprising, after that mini-cards start to take over.


Right on! I am using tiles because monsters, chests, etc will be drawn from a bag so that the dungeon is pretty different each time you play. what sucks is that the tiles are now pieces of paper which isn't easy to play nor pick up. haha
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
It all depends on the game you're designing and what the tiles represent. The game I'm currently working on has different sized tiles. Most are 24cm x 48cm (that's around 1in x 2in) but they go up to 48cm x 96cm (2in x 4in). The game is in an advanced stage of design and has been play tested and the tiles work well.


But you mean millimeters (mm), not Centimeters (cm).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
Right on! I am using tiles because monsters, chests, etc will be drawn from a bag so that the dungeon is pretty different each time you play. what sucks is that the tiles are now pieces of paper which isn't easy to play nor pick up. haha


Sounds good!

I think the tiles for Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, and Mansions of Madness are good. And you draw the AH and EH monsters from a big ol' bag.
http://www.cthulhushop.com/wp-content/uploads/Monster-Stands...

I assume these tiles are placed on the board? Also see the D&D Adventure Games for how they use larger tiles to make a "deck" of tiles for a random dungeon layout, and Munchkin Quest for examples of adding special effects to rooms.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
nathairday wrote:
Right on! I am using tiles because monsters, chests, etc will be drawn from a bag so that the dungeon is pretty different each time you play. what sucks is that the tiles are now pieces of paper which isn't easy to play nor pick up. haha


Sounds good!

I think the tiles for Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, and Mansions of Madness are good. And you draw the AH and EH monsters from a big ol' bag.
http://www.cthulhushop.com/wp-content/uploads/Monster-Stands...

I assume these tiles are placed on the board? Also see the D&D Adventure Games for how they use larger tiles to make a "deck" of tiles for a random dungeon layout, and Munchkin Quest for examples of adding special effects to rooms.



thanks! I'll look into those. I recently made about 100 7/8 inch tiles gluing paper to foam board and you know what it wasn't as tedious as I imagined and it took just under thirty minutes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.