Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people can do two things at once. Others can't. The phone is not the problem...

Pete (has no issues with cell phones at the game table, but has a big issue with people who can't pay attention to a game when their cell phone is in their hand)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does your game group have rules on cell phones?
We don't, but then again it's never been a problem before. I suppose if it becomes a big enough issue we'd put something in place, but until then there's no need.

The people I play with are responsible adults. We generally don't need to regulate bad behavior as they're not likely to engage in it in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I know this is a hot button topic and has been discussed before but sorry I need some clarification. I keep seeing people complain at cell phones at board game night and I am wondering if you dispise all cell phones at your board game club or just when it distracts somefrom the game? Is it ok to check the time or your phone? Or if I pull my phone out to check the clock am I instantly labelled as a bad gamer? What about to reply to a text message - "Busy now ttyl?" Am I forever on your **** list? So of course I will include a poll.

Poll: In general, Do Cell Phones Bother You?
Do cell phones bother you at game night?
Yes, absolutely.
They bother me more often than they don't.
I really have no opinion.
They don't bother me most of the time, but some situations can irritate me.
They don't bother me at all.
      579 answers
Poll created by N/A

Poll: Acceptable USes of cell Phone at Game Night
What uses of a cell phone, if any, are acceptable to you at game night?
What are acceptable uses of cell phones at your game group:
There is no acceptable reason to pull out a phone ever.
Emergency texts or phone calls only.
Check the clock.
Check rules.
Use a game related app - such as a score counter.
Briefly respond to a text - such as "I can't talk now."
I don't care if you text/browse the internet as long as you pay attention to your turn.
Anything goes baby!
      561 answers
Poll created by N/A

Poll
If someone uses a cell phone at game night, what do you do? If anything?
If someone uses a cell phone at game night, what do you do?
Ask them to put it away.
Ask them to leave the game.
Ask them to leave my group.
Do nothing but seethe in anger.
Wait to see if it becomes an issue before one of the above.
Nothing, it's all good!
Other.
      540 answers
Poll created by N/A

Poll
Does your group have rules regarding cell phones? I just wonder because I can see people getting mad about cell phone usage but not actually tell people the rules.
Does your game group have rules on cell phones?
No rules
No formal rules, but we have an unspoken agreement.
We verbally tell people the rules regarding cell phones.
We have formal written rules recorded somewhere.
      516 answers
Poll created by N/A

Oooooh, what a PA post and poll.

Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a friend over recently who is normally very good and into the games we play, but if he wasn't taking his turn, he was on his phone. I'm not sure if he was having a crisis, but I felt more like it was strictly social. I don't mind a quick text here or there, but he wasn't a part of the group. I was bummed, but didn't say anything. I may not invite him over for the next session or two...my passive aggressiveness will teach him a lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

My knowledge and web search fail me. What is a "PA post"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Some people can do two things at once. Others can't. The phone is not the problem...

Pete (has no issues with cell phones at the game table, but has a big issue with people who can't pay attention to a game when their cell phone is in their hand)

+1.

We have no real formal rules for cell phones but we generally try to avoid using them for anything other than family matters, work issues, or game related items such as rule questions. If there's a considerable amount of downtime between turns then phone usage for any purpose is fine so long as you don't distract others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

My knowledge and web search fail me. What is a "PA post"?

Passive Aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flexibility is the key. We all have families and maybe there is the need to swing by the grocery store on the way home. Still, we are here to interact with each other and it doesn't seem right to ignore your host and fellow guests.

This is never a problem for me as I do not have a cell phone, believe it or don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Turn the figurehead into the wind, lash the crew to the masts, and God be with us.
badge
Fun Fact: Known to sniff glitter-glue out of a Muse's thong.
mbmbmbmbmb

face•tur•bate | ˈfāstərˌbāt |

verb [no obj.]
diddle one's phone when real people are, like, right there: Luis insisted on faceturbating in front of everyone between his turns in our game of Castles of Jackassery.

ORIGIN early 21st cent.: when the prevalence of smartphones replaced actual human connectivity with the equivalent of fellating a foam-rubber dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's your turn, I prefer you to take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I play require attention throughout everyone's turn. Phones for social reasons that distract the player are an issue. Phones at the table are part of life. Various professions require and expect people to be accessible. Families have their own issues that may require accessibility.
Its not like we enter a cone of silence where we loose all touch with reality when we game. That is unreasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it entertaining that at present in the "reasons" poll the results show that it is currently far more acceptable to use a phone to check rules of a game than it is to use it for family emergencies.

I have a wife and two small children. If you want me to leave my phone in the car when I come to play with you, you can replace me at the table.

The rapidity with which you get to take your turn in a board game is not worth the potential health and safety of my family.

The bigger question is a matter of consideration. I can have my cell phone and be available to my family and still be considerate, outside of a rare instance where an actual emergency may trump a board game. But having a cell phone out doesn't inherently make me inconsiderate.

We have a gaming meetup that meets in a sports bar that gives us the back room. They have four different tvs up, which usually have whatever games are on, or are tuned into TBS or TNT or what not. Last week, The Hobbit was on. We had a player in the game absolutely paying more attention to Gandalf and the Dwarves escaping from the Goblin King than focused on what we were doing. If it wasn't the Hobbit, it'd be the people going up to order food.

The phones aren't the problem. The movie isn't the problem. The football game isn't the problem. It's a lack of consideration for other people.

Regardless of the activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully, it rarely comes up in my groups. Most everyone who has to use their phone for one reason or another tries to keep it short. There have been a few occasions in the store meet-up with folks who fiddle when it's not their turn. I don't say anything (because I am anxious enough in large group settings), but it drives me crazy to the point of distraction. Why play a game with people if you are just going to ignore them in favor of your device the whole time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me make one corollary:

If someone happens to shout that there's a Snorlax in the room, the board games can wait--those cell phones are coming out.

(only half joking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I find it entertaining that at present in the "reasons" poll the results show that it is currently far more acceptable to use a phone to check rules of a game than it is to use it for family emergencies.

I know for me the reason I didn't check that one is that it was more restrictive, saying for emergencies ONLY, while the others weren't restrictive in that way.

If you are going to text/browse when it isn't your turn, we're losing you for the social part of the game which is disappointing, but I'm not going to police my friends to find out how critical the issues are that get them to pull their phones out. I trust that it is almost certainly something more pressing than the playing of a game so I've seen no reason for us to have rules, written, unwritten whatever about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
The rapidity with which you get to take your turn in a board game is not worth the potential health and safety of my family.

If we're imagining some unspecified (but very unlikely) risk scenarios in which your not having a cellphone somehow endangers the health and safety of your family, aren't they even more endangered in most or all of those unspecified unlikely risk scenarios by your being physically away from them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My phone is out 100% of the time. I am required to be available 24/7 due to the nature of the business. It's not quite common that I'm called upon after hours to deal with something but it's not unusual either.

So far it's never presented itself as an issue, even while at a convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

This is it, pretty much. I often don't even notice that the other players are on their phones, until the game pauses because of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

If we're imagining some unspecified (but very unlikely) risk scenarios in which your not having a cellphone somehow endangers the health and safety of your family, aren't they even more endangered in most or all of those unspecified unlikely risk scenarios by your being physically away from them?

I'm in the "My wife, my kids or my job needing to talk to me trumps playing a game" anyone who thinks otherwise is in my opinion delusional.

I've never actually seen cell phones be a problem.
A quick call comes in, someone answers, spends 60 seconds on the phone and all is good.

I've also *never* seen anyone in a game sit there just chatting away about random nonsense on their phones for long period of times either. Because, well, the people I know aren't crazy.

If someone was going on their phone for a long period about just mundane stuff, yeah, that would drive me nuts. It's never happened though.

But the regular "bring milk home", "what time do you think you will be home", "just wanted to say hi quickly" etc.. calls one gets from ones family aren't a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with a phone being on and at the table. I do however have an issue with spending every free second spent trying to get the entire table to look at the latest hilarious meme photo you have found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Cellphones are practically a bodypart nowadays, I don't forbid you from breathing or gesticulating either.

Of course I'd prefer if you don't use your other bodyparts to disturb the game either (like using your hands to spill drinks, bend cards or discard against the orientation of the pile), so there's probably still some sort of limit to acceptable phone use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lengthy phone use bugs me in any social context, worse during a game. If someone is going to get insecure because you don't answer them right away it is that person's problem. I remember someone watching videos instead of paying attention to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If for anything other than emergencies, rules lookup, or in-game accompaniment, then I would classify that usage in the rude bucket, much like if you referred to your phone for anything other than the aforementioned reasons during a F2F conversation.

If you want to play a game and socialize with others do it. If you need some accessory to distract you from that goal, then perhaps you are involved in the wrong activity.

I guess my question to anyone that disagrees with usage other than the defined parameters (above) is... why would you need to look at your phone during a game or social interaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

I have a wife and two small children. If you want me to leave my phone in the car when I come to play with you, you can replace me at the table.

The bigger question is a matter of consideration. I can have my cell phone and be available to my family and still be considerate, outside of a rare instance where an actual emergency may trump a board game. But having a cell phone out doesn't inherently make me inconsiderate.

We have a gaming meetup that meets in a sports bar that gives us the back room. They have four different tvs up, which usually have whatever games are on, or are tuned into TBS or TNT or what not. Last week, The Hobbit was on. We had a player in the game absolutely paying more attention to Gandalf and the Dwarves escaping from the Goblin King than focused on what we were doing. If it wasn't the Hobbit, it'd be the people going up to order food.

The phones aren't the problem. The movie isn't the problem. The football game isn't the problem. It's a lack of consideration for other people.

Regardless of the activity.

Yeah... I'm not sure I agree with your scenario that is akin to pulling the phone out of the wall (circa 1975).

Furthermore, and not a loaded ? in any way, but do you avoid all activities that ban cell phone usage/power-up when away from your family?

PS... I would never expect guests to surrender or turn off cell phones during a party or gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I host a weekly game group every single Saturday night. My group gets anywhere from 4 to 11 people. We usually average in the 6-7 range.

My group issue is that most of my game group is there to socialize first and game second. Don't get me wrong, I understand that playing games is socializing and what it is meant to do. What I am trying to say is that most of my group is there to hang out and have a good time and the game is just in the back ground (so to say). I should also point out that just about my entire group are all friends out side of gaming as well. We play in softball leagues together and we have get togethers that don't involve games.

Personally cell phones don't bother me. I don't care about a text here or there or if you need to look something up, but my group has taken it to another level. One guy is watching a baseball game, one guy has music on, one guy is watching a race, etc. I know it sounds crazy right?

As annoying as all of it is, most of the time it doesn't hurt the game. Guys are still paying attention, they still know when it is their turn, and they are still very much apart of it. I have literally had game nights where three guys are watching different things on their phones, one guy is texting his girlfriend every 2 seconds, and one guy is listening to some horrible music while at the same time we are playing Eldritch Horror and guys are high-fiving and encouraging good dice rolls from the current player and sitting on the edge of their seats. I know it sounds almost impossible but it happens all of the time.

As for me. I am hardly ever on my phone at game night. My texts during game night include maybe someone texting me they are on their way or aren't coming, I also get those obligatory texts from my wife in some other part of the house reminding me to let the dog outside once in a while (which I often forget so good thing she is on top of it). When I sit down to game, that's what I do. For the most part I don't care if the person sitting across from me is my brother, a best friend for 20+ years, or a guy I met last week that loves games. I play games because I love games. To me the game is the most important part. But since there are 3 of us in my entire group that take that philosophy, I have had to learn to adapt to my surroundings.

I don't live in a big area. If I made hard line cell phone rules or if I looked to get rid of the biggest offenders I would no longer have a consistent game night. So in order to consistently play games on Saturday nights I deal with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.