Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently there's a major issue with the rules for "Begging for Mercy" that has confused a lot of people. The designer posted on this on page 14 of a 23 page thread, but I think it deserves its own separate thread, for more prominence. My group is probably not the only one that's been playing this wrong, for years.

In DOA1, you could only beg for mercy if the guardian for that labyrinth had previously been revealed. The rules for DOA2 appear similar, but, according to Brett, the intention is different.

Re: The Duel of Ages II Strategy Guide

SpitfireIXA wrote:
You always have the option of begging for mercy, whether you just revealed a Guardian or not.

So, the correct rules for labyrinth adventures in DOA2 are:

1. If you wish, choose a character on a labyrinth team marker (or on starting circle if no team marker) during the Adventure Phase.

2. If the Guardian for this labyrinth is not yet revealed, reveal it from the top of the corresponding deck.

3. Choose whether to beg for mercy.

4a. If you beg for mercy, discard the Guardian, and banish the character.

4b. Otherwise, resolve Guardian according to challenge or card payment rules.

As usual, during the Adventure Phase, you can repeat this as long as you have eligible characters, and you can also alternate labyrinth adventures with other adventures (gates, team base, Lith's Lair, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you should also mention that if you stand on a guardian who is already revealed you can just sit there and do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You're never forced to adventure, I think---that includes gates, team bases, Lith's Lair, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the only situation where you are forced to challenge or beg for mercy is immediately after revealing a guardian. My english is not good enough to put this into a precise sentence, but I agree that it should be clarified in the rules. I think many people played that wrong, including myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this rule present a problem for people unfamiliar with the first game, or is it the assumption that the rule is unchanged what causes the confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO it's written in such a way that people are likely to get it wrong whether or not they played the first game. Of course, I'm not a good test case for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.