Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well since FFG has shown they can take a game like Descent and do a great app Road to Legend to allow it to be played solo or co-op against the Overlord. We need them to do the same for Fury of Dracula!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that the article FFG put up to announce their split with GW also said they were halting all work on not-yet-announced GW licenced products. So, if they hadn't announced it before then, it's pretty much guaranteed not to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Dracula is as dead as...well you know , dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Now that the rights for Fury of Dracula are reverting back to Games Workshop (who will likely just sit on it and let it stagnate for a decade or more), there's no chance we'll be seeing an app for the game.

Just one more disappointment to attribute to GW and their "we don't give a s***" business decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Yes, Dracula is as dead as...well you know , dead undead.

Fixed that for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this won't happen now as FFG will no longer be able to sell Fury after Feb 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, GW has put out a lot of apps for their games, so they could, assuming they own the 3rd edition rules.

But unless they plan on producing the physical game as well, they don't really have an incentive to produce a digital version unless they're going to charge enough to make it profitable by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ffg cant make FoD in any format
gw will be able to, but they will have to either:
make an entirely new 4th edition (which may have to be more similar to gw's 1st ed than ffg's 2nd & 3rd)
or work out a new agreement with ffg so that gw can publish ffg's versions of gw's games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
To be fair, GW has put out a lot of apps for their games, so they could, assuming they own the 3rd edition rules.

But unless they plan on producing the physical game as well, they don't really have an incentive to produce a digital version unless they're going to charge enough to make it profitable by itself.

from what ive read, gw probably does not have rights to 3e rules and definitely doesn't have rights to 3e artwork
I'm not sure of that myself, but it would make the previous things I said necessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
cheng wrote:

from what ive read, gw probably does not have rights to 3e rules and definitely doesn't have rights to 3e artwork
I'm not sure of that myself, but it would make the previous things I said necessary

But GW does have the rights to the FURY OF DRACULA name, and FFG could not market any product with that name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all the result of the Asmodee merger, shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But yes, an app like that would be an immediate purchase for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
keckles wrote:
cheng wrote:

But GW does have the rights to the FURY OF DRACULA name, and FFG could not market any product with that name.

um, I already said that in my first post
Quote:
ffg cant make FoD in any format
gw will be able to, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly disagree with the OP. A Dracula AI app for this game would be difficult to get right, clunky to use, and simply unable to approach the raw cunning and ability to bluff that comes naturally to a human opponent. Plus: boring to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
I strongly disagree with the OP. A Dracula AI app for this game would be difficult to get right, clunky to use, and simply unable to approach the raw cunning and ability to bluff that comes naturally to a human opponent. Plus: boring to play against.

Let's just assume that the app would be good, ok? You can't know it would be clunky. Also, an app could be very well programmed to give interesting responses to any player action.

It sounds like you are just another one of those that hates board games with apps with no real reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
Let's just assume that the app would be good, ok?

I work in IT development, and have seen a lot of code. Trust me, that is not a safe assumption.

Quote:
You can't know it would be clunky.

Your pardon, I really should have elaborated. For example: Mina is permanently weakened, yes? So do you need to tell the app which card(s) she is currently displaying face up? And do this every time you trade, switch cards, discard the current one, etc? Same for when any of the other hunters becomes weakened as well. In fact, with the item/event decks: do you still shuffle and use them at all, or let the app tell you which item/events you get when you Supply? Do you have a "Heroic Leap" card? Does the App have to ask whether you want to use it prior to each combat? How about a "Great Strength" event? This game has a lot of "interrupt" based components and mechanics, which a well-written AI opponent would need to know about in order to function effectively. I just think you'd be forever tapping updates into the tablet/phone, and not being able to focus on the hunt.

Quote:
It sounds like you are just another one of those that hates board games with apps with no real reason.

Fair enough, tone is hard to convey with typed words. I should probably have originally said that I respectfully, but strongly disagree with the OP (which I do!). The above is nothing more than my opinion, I don't expect anyone to take it as fact, nor to think that I arrogantly assume they should. I have no inherent hatred/fear of app integration, it's just that for this specific game, I don't think it would do the job very well! Now, a new game written from the ground up to be an App-based Dracula hunt (leaning very strongly on the design of this one), that might be something worth looking at. (But still not as good as a really cunning human!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:

People were saying the same thing before and during the development of the Descent app, now they are eating crow.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
birdman37 wrote:

People were saying the same thing before and during the development of the Descent app, now they are eating crow.whistle

You're comparing apples with oranges. And I wasn't one of those people.

The Descent app allows the players to take all of their turns, e.g. fight monsters, resolve combat results, before needing to be updated with results at the end of each round. In this case, the combat mechanics of Descent allow the players to roll dice on the monsters' behalf. It's very well done, and I'll happily sing its praises along with the others.

Now, in this game, the most common Hunter action - moving - requires the Dracula player to observe and possibly interrupt by either revealing a card on his path, or indeed himself. You would absolutely have to tap in this new location data each time a player did a move action. Sure, it could be streamlined in the UI and reduced to a bare minimum number of taps (e.g. app already knows where a hunter is, so can shorten the list of possible destinations based on movement mode chosen), but nonetheless, it would require fiddling with the app nearly every Hunter action. And think about combat! No dice here, you choose cards, then Drac chooses one. Each and every round of combat, you're going to need to consult the App!

Do you see where I'm going with this? This is the kind of game that requires constant observation/interaction between the Hunters and Drac (and that is part of what makes it awesome!), so for an AI to sensibly stand in for a Human, it's going to have to be constantly fed with micro-management level details about the board state. All the time. I don't care how "streamlined" and smart you can make it, with the game structure as it is, an App would just totally ruin the immersion of this game with its constant demands for data.

OK, I've said enough, apologies for the rant. I hope I've explained the reasoning behind my opinion well enough, at least. Suffice to say: I respectfully disagree that an AI Drac App would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
Rockin Rocko wrote:
birdman37 wrote:

You're comparing apples with oranges. And I wasn't one of those people.

The Descent app allows the players to take all of their turns, e.g. fight monsters, resolve combat results, before needing to be updated with results at the end of each round. In this case, the combat mechanics of Descent allow the players to roll dice on the monsters' behalf. It's very well done, and I'll happily sing its praises along with the others.

Now, in this game, the most common Hunter action - moving - requires the Dracula player to observe and possibly interrupt by either revealing a card on his path, or indeed himself. You would absolutely have to tap in this new location data each time a player did a move action. Sure, it could be streamlined in the UI and reduced to a bare minimum number of taps (e.g. app already knows where a hunter is, so can shorten the list of possible destinations based on movement mode chosen), but nonetheless, it would require fiddling with the app nearly every Hunter action. And think about combat! No dice here, you choose cards, then Drac chooses one. Each and every round of combat, you're going to need to consult the App!

Do you see where I'm going with this? This is the kind of game that requires constant observation/interaction between the Hunters and Drac (and that is part of what makes it awesome!), so for an AI to sensibly stand in for a Human, it's going to have to be constantly fed with micro-management level details about the board state. All the time. I don't care how "streamlined" and smart you can make it, with the game structure as it is, an App would just totally ruin the immersion of this game with its constant demands for data.

OK, I've said enough, apologies for the rant. I hope I've explained the reasoning behind my opinion well enough, at least. Suffice to say: I respectfully disagree that an AI Drac App would be good.

Its all good, sadly since I wasn't up to speed on the whole FFG and Workshops fiasco it looks like it wont matter anyway shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great points, Andrew. I guess what I really want is just a Fury of Dracula app with the whole game in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
cheng wrote:

They do have the rights to all the content of the game, per the copyright blurb on the back of the box. The rules can't be copyrighted as far as I know, so they could either release it themselves or (as I've heard rumored) they are shopping around their board game licenses to other companies already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
keckles wrote:
cheng wrote:

They do have the rights to all the content of the game, per the copyright blurb on the back of the box. The rules can't be copyrighted as far as I know, so they could either release it themselves or (as I've heard rumored) they are shopping around their board game licenses to other companies already.

The thing is, no major games publisher is going to want to do a thing like this, because it opens up their games to the same kind of competition. Right now, it's still a bit of a hazy legal area when you get beyond totally reskinning a game using the same mechanics but changing the theme, artwork, names, etc. This uncertainty protects big name publishers way more than it protects no name ones.

Assume FFG produced a FoD knockoff called Hunt for Dracula, with all the same FoD artwork and the same characters and such, and they got into a court case with GW over it and prevailed, their victory prize would be... sales of a FoD knockoff that would be trivial to Asmodee's bottom line? And they've set the precedent that no name publishers can go much, much further in knocking off all their precious IP? Just doesn't make any business sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.