Hide
8 Posts

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: The challenge of Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Friedman
msg tools
I'm near the halfway point of my Kickstarter and after a really big first 2 days, my campaign slowed down quite a bit.
Here it is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1497895052/heroes-of-hi...

It's a shame, because Iron Phalanx vs. Dragonboat Raiders is shaping up to be a great game. Here's the promo:

Glorious Greeks and Vicious Vikings do battle in this epic cross-time card game!

This time the gods of Valhalla and Olympus have come to join real-life legends to create a battle that's literally for the ages. Give Thor Mjolnir and hammer away at King Leonidas before his 300 Spartans finish their shield wall. Or, turn the tables with Odysseus wielding Artemis's Bow and feed Viking kings to the Minotaur. And for more fun, bring in the Americans for a truly timeless brawl!

Please help support my campaign, and let me know what you think of my Kickstarter page.

-Sam Friedman
Owner, Bradan's World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have 1000 followers on your email list or Facebook page or whatever, eagerly waiting for you to start the kickstarter campaign so they could buy? If you didn't, you were not ready to start your Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Did you have 1000 followers on your email list or Facebook page or whatever, eagerly waiting for you to start the kickstarter campaign so they could buy? If you didn't, you were not ready to start your Kickstarter campaign.

Indeed: Kickstarter is not going to do the marketing and buzz for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Le sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel,

Yes, it's true...you do need to market your game well in advance of launching your KS project. We ran a campaign six months ago and we wildly successful because Mike Strickland did his homework and a number of people backed it on Day 1! If you're not reaching the 50% funding goal within the first 24 hours, you're simply NOT...GOING...TO...FUND...PERIOD.

I've spent far too much time as a game designer and developer attempting to assist KS creators with their marketing. Conjuring up the idea for the game; playtesting it more than 100 times; researching the best logistical solutions for shipping; and finding an honest, reputable publisher is really just the beginning...it's the bar to entry. The real stamina is needed for entering the world of social media and getting your name and that of your game out there.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Samuel,

Yes, it's true...you do need to market your game well in advance of launching your KS project. We ran a campaign six months ago and we wildly successful because Mike Strickland did his homework and a number of people backed it on Day 1! If you're not reaching the 50% funding goal within the first 24 hours, you're simply NOT...GOING...TO...FUND...PERIOD.

Actually, the rule of thumb I heard was that if you didn't hit 25% by the end of the first week, you weren't going to fund. Although most of the things I pay attention to fund anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I think that might have been the rule of thumb some time ago. With the ever increasing number of Games-related projects, there's only a limited number of Backers. I've seen a steady increase in the number of "Unsuccessful" projects since 2011.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Joe is right. While it feels like there are tons of successful campaigns that is solely for the reason that there are tons and tons of campaigns in total. You just have to look at the successful campaigns to notice that they are all very professional on every end: content, visual appearance, communication and marketing plan. If you can't come up with these things in 'good enough' quality, you'll have a hard time reaching funding.

I sense the market on Kickstarter - the competition - is getting tougher each year. Products have to have major market quality to compete. As a result of this, more and more indies invest a lot of time, effort and money to make their dreams come true.

The Professor wrote:
I've spent far too much time as a game designer and developer attempting to assist KS creators with their marketing.

I actually do it with Board Game Circus. We are a provider for dedicated board game services such as translations/localization, promotion, crowdfunding support or marketing. I don't do it for a living but it is a paid service. I can achieve videos, text reviews, media attention for products that hit the criteria mentioned before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.