$20.00
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night's game saw the 'Kleptomania' Horror card appear, and we thought that it was odd that the Klepto investigator essentially gets a free 'Steal' action, while anyone else has to do an Opposed Test to Steal something (Rules Reference, p.17).

I know that the base strategy is to not let the Klepto end their turn in your space, and that it can actually be used to advantage in some situations, but the game had a special situation that got me thinking about it.

One Investigator had gained 'Crisis of Conscience' Insanity, meaning he was trying to make the investigation fail. In order to do this, he had to prevent anyone from leaving the map carrying a certain item. A different Investigator had 'Kleptomania'. So, the Insane fella had to do an opposed test to Steal the item, but the Klepto could just end her turn in the same space to get it back (it is a Random item stolen, but that was all he was carrying). This seemed wrong.

I know that there are strategies and ways to deal with this; my point is that perhaps the Klepto card action should ALWAYS be an opposed Steal action. The Steal action is an Opposed Test using the active player's choice of either Strength (wrestling the item away), Agility (the quick snatch) or Observation (sneaky pickpocketing). I'd also like to see them add Influence (talking them into giving it to you), but that is not listed.

It strikes me that the Klepto, whether the other Investigators are aware of her condition or not, should be required to make a 'Steal' attempt, perhaps as a free Action, as part of her turn whenever in the same space as another Investigator. I would also suggest that the 'Steal' Action can be an Unopposed test if the victim decides to let the Klepto take something.

I am interested in what others think of this, and how you will deal with this when it comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did the Insane player have no other Items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make that a house rule. Personally, it's such a niche scenario where that happens, that it barely matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Why did the Insane player have no other Items?

Bad luck. Had a lot of it in that game. Going insane seemed perfect for this guy, and getting the traitor card even more so, as everything he had attempted up to that point had been a failure. It was typical of him to roll three dice and get 1 success, 1 near-success, and 1 blank (also had no clues left). I figured he finally decided that the universe really was against him, and this meant that he needed to stop the others from what they were doing to get the universe to leave him alone.

It all worked out. He's safely in a padded cell now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
crispy66 wrote:
I figured he finally decided that the universe really was against him, and this meant that he needed to stop the others from what they were doing to get the universe to leave him alone.

Maybe he was never on your team AT ALL! He was all, like, "Consternation, Miss Barnes! I cannot POSSIBLY open this darned cabinet; it is far too securely barred. And do please pardon my harsh language. My temper can get the best of me in these sorts of trying situations."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
crispy66 wrote:
I figured he finally decided that the universe really was against him, and this meant that he needed to stop the others from what they were doing to get the universe to leave him alone.

Maybe he was never on your team AT ALL! He was all, like, "Consternation, Miss Barnes! I cannot POSSIBLY open this darned cabinet; it is far too securely barred. And do please pardon my harsh language. My temper can get the best of me in these sorts of trying situations."

I want to play this game with you. We seem to think about it the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.