William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting until this is available for $50 at CSI before I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

This game is not being sold through retail channels, only the RIOT website. Given the contents of the box, it is well worth $75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

It won`t ever be. They`re using their own distribution channels.

Have you never bought a game with tons of minis before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

Got Twilight Imperium for $55 on CSI, and Descent 1st and 2nd edition for similar prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game were sold through Cool Stuff or other regular channels you would end up paying between $150 - $200 for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Paul G wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

Got Twilight Imperium for $55 on CSI, and Descent 1st and 2nd edition for similar prices.

I think you're misunderstanding.

It won't be sold at Cool Stuff or any other location at all. It will ONLY be sold through the Riot website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
What a strange thread. Are you suggesting the game is overpriced? If you're not, why are you telling others that you're going to wait for a sale? Did you bother to check to see what was included in the game before mentioning the price point? Do you know how the game is being distributed?

I'm so confused . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Paul G wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding.

It won't be sold at Cool Stuff or any other location at all. It will ONLY be sold through the Riot website.

Not worth the argument, let him wait for it to show up at CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also never paid $75 for a new game.

To be sure, I have paid over $75 for plenty of new games ... and under $75 for plenty of other new games.

I find this thread strange ... judging a game's 'worth' is personal and subjective. As an example, I find $75 for a game of this quality to be a bargain; whereas you find it to be too expensive. In the end, though, neither of those viewpoints matter to anyone except ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Paul G wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

The scope of production is much closer to Cthulhu Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there are games that sell for a lot more than $75 at CSI so not really sure what the OP's point is at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Paul G wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

Doesn't seem like it. It has 4 nicely painted minis. The minions seem like mass market board game figures. The rest of it is pretty standard. Nice box and insert, but that is superfluous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Paul G wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

Doesn't seem like it. It has 4 nicely painted minis. The minions seem like mass market board game figures. The rest of it is pretty standard. Nice box and insert, but that is superfluous.

I couldn't say how good the miniatures in MvM are. However, you are very confused if you are using FFG as a benchmark for quality miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
There are actually
Spoiler (click to reveal)
5 large painted minis
, and all 100 minions are washed (i.e. painted) as well. Compare that to the VERY cheap minis of TI3 which are unpainted half models and literally straight out of the sprues (in fact older printings of TI3 came with them in the sprues).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hutchison
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
There are actually
5 large painted minis
, and all 100 minions are washed (i.e. painted) as well. Compare that to the VERY cheap minis of TI3 which are unpainted half models and literally straight out of the sprues (in fact older printings of TI3 came with them in the sprues).

I believe some of the components are metal as well. Did I mishear in the Secret Cabal video review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hutchback wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
There are actually
5 large painted minis

I believe some of the components are metal as well. Did I mishear in the Secret Cabal video review?
I think that is just the two gears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
and all 100 minions are washed (i.e. painted) as well.

Washing alone is not a detailed, labor intensive process, and I believe it can be done my machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Washing alone is not a detailed, labor intensive process, and I believe it can be done my machine.
I have no doubt, but it is a process that improves the look and yet most companies don't bother. My point was that ALL the minis in the box are painted to some degree compared to the OP's FFG minis which are not painted at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arachnode wrote:
I have also never paid $75 for a new game.

To be sure, I have paid over $75 for plenty of new games ... and under $75 for plenty of other new games.

I find this thread strange ... judging a game's 'worth' is personal and subjective. As an example, I find $75 for a game of this quality to be a bargain; whereas you find it to be too expensive. In the end, though, neither of those viewpoints matter to anyone except ourselves.

My thoughts exactly, this game, or anything else for that matter,is worth the price if you are willing to pay it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must assume that you are trolling. Or else you have been completely oblivious to any miniatures heavy game released in the last 5 years.

But I'm going to lean toward trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

I have no doubt, but it is a process that improves the look and yet most companies don't bother. My point was that ALL the minis in the box are painted to some degree compared to the OP's FFG minis which are not painted at all.

Considering the low price point of the game when compared to other games of its type, it's somewhat pedantic to argue about how much value a simple wash would give. Washing, though, is very simple and not expensive. In most instances, I would prefer more detail than prepainting of any type, and more often than not, prepainting is offered at the expense of detail. Should I get this game--I have not decided whether it is for me--I would probably paint all the minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I must assume that you are trolling. Or else you have been completely oblivious to any miniatures heavy game released in the last 5 years.

But I'm going to lean toward trolling.

Isn't his user badge that says "King Troll" enough clue?

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Considering the low price point of the game when compared to other games of its type, it's somewhat pedantic to argue about how much value a simple wash would give. Washing, though, is very simple and not expensive. In most instances, I would prefer more detail than prepainting of any type, and more often than not, prepainting is offered at the expense of detail. Should I get this game--I have not decided whether it is for me--I would probably paint all the minions.
I can certainly see that point of view if you are a painter. However, I don't paint or even wash anything (I don't really have time or interest in it) so to some extent prepainting at the loss of some detail is preferable.

In this case, from what I can see the detail of these minis is on par or superior to FFG (though probably inferior to something like CMON games or CW) so in regards to the OP, I think he just has no sense of value of the 5 large painted minis (plus all the other stuff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

In this case, from what I can see the detail of these minis is on par or superior to FFG (though probably inferior to something like CMON games or CW) so in regards to the OP, I think he just has no sense of value of the 5 large painted minis (plus all the other stuff).

Just a side point, I don't get where people are coming from with miniature quality for Chtulhu Wars. Have you seen the minis up close? The ones I've seen had humongous mold lines - I don't think you get to have huge mold lines just because your minis are big And for their size they weren't all that detailed either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moody
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I have paid $75 for PS4 games. This game's price is a dream come true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.