$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game couple of times and while we made some mistakes which we then became aware of, I'm not sure if I'm not missing a rule here or there (a forum search greatly decreased the number of questions).
I own the Polish version of the game so I cannot cite the exact card text.

1) Purple's Forward Scouting (allows me to look at the event card and put it back on top or on the bottom) - I look at the card, what can I say out loud? Can I consult the Instinct with others? Can I reveal the card? Can we mutually decide what to do with the card? I played it that the person that scouts makes the decision alone (like with the Instinct mechanism).
2) Grey's Power Field + the Door terrain (kill as many GS as ST on the door when moving) - the Door effect doesn't work against GS in the blocked swarm, right?
3) Yellow's Defensive Stance (when defending, you die only on [0] when using ST to reroll) and Brood Lord (decrease the die result when swarm attacks) - normally, I only die when rerolling to [0], with Brood Lord I only die when rerolling to [1], right? Natural 0 gives -1 in this case.
4) The rulebook reads you cannot discuss or show your cards to other players - I really don't get it. What exactly can you say? We always disregard this rule as it seems clunky and brings too much randomness to a team, making it less a team play. How do others play? What things do you discuss, do you take the initiative numbers into consideration? What about more experienced players that know the cards by heart?
5) Instinct moment - when the active player tries to make a decision, we always try to help him by saying things like "I will make the attack this turn, you can make a move" or "remember there are 5 cards in this blip pile" or "remember that GS spawn after you resolve the effect, please take that into consideration" - is any of that allowed? The active player didn't ask anything. Or could he? Of course, when the event says "Gun Jam", he won't ask about who wants to attack and who doesn't. But in other cases, why not? Is it cheating when we try to give the active player as most information as could be helpful without him even asking anything? How do you play that moment?

Thanks for any replies!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting cases!

As my general take on many of your concerns, I interpret the rule stating that players should not show their cards to each other as intended to prevent alpha-players from dominating the game. I would not interpret it too strictly, however, if your group shows positive cooperative dynamics --- at least this is my humble opinion, I mostly play solo. After all, with increasing game experience, everybody gets to know by hart each ability, therefore I do not see the point in limiting card knowledge to beginners...

dannte wrote:
1) Purple's Forward Scouting (allows me to look at the event card and put it back on top or on the bottom) - I look at the card, what can I say out loud? Can I consult the Instinct with others? Can I reveal the card? Can we mutually decide what to do with the card? I played it that the person that scouts makes the decision alone (like with the Instinct mechanism).

The few times I played with others, I played it as your did. The English text states: "After resolving this card’s action, you may look at the top card of the Event Deck. Then place it on the top or bottom of the deck". It seems it refers to the current player only, not to the group.


dannte wrote:
2) Grey's Power Field + the Door terrain (kill as many GS as ST on the door when moving) - the Door effect doesn't work against GS in the blocked swarm, right?

I would say "right"!
a) power field says "Genestealers in the chosen swarm may not attack or be slain this round";
The door says to slay genestealers before travelling;
b) travelling occurs at the end of any phase---usually the event phase---therefore still in the round.

dannte wrote:
3) Yellow's Defensive Stance (when defending, you die only on [0] when using ST to reroll) and Brood Lord (decrease the die result when swarm attacks) - normally, I only die when rerolling to [0], with Brood Lord I only die when rerolling to [1], right? Natural 0 gives -1 in this case.

I would say "no". Yellow's defensive stance seems to make the marine die only in the case of an unconditioned '0'.
Alternatively, I would say that the marine should die with '0' or '1', since with brood lords "the swarm is more likely to slay the defending Space Marine". I would never make the marine die only with '1'.

dannte wrote:
4) The rulebook reads you cannot discuss or show your cards to other players - I really don't get it. What exactly can you say? We always disregard this rule as it seems clunky and brings too much randomness to a team, making it less a team play. How do others play? What things do you discuss, do you take the initiative numbers into consideration? What about more experienced players that know the cards by heart?

To me, this is only to prevent alpha-players from ruing the game to the group. I would show/discuss whatever you linke unless forbidden by "istinct".

dannte wrote:
5) Instinct moment - when the active player tries to make a decision, we always try to help him by saying things like "I will make the attack this turn, you can make a move" or "remember there are 5 cards in this blip pile" or "remember that GS spawn after you resolve the effect, please take that into consideration" - is any of that allowed? The active player didn't ask anything. Or could he? Of course, when the event says "Gun Jam", he won't ask about who wants to attack and who doesn't. But in other cases, why not? Is it cheating when we try to give the active player as most information as could be helpful without him even asking anything? How do you play that moment?

I would leave to your group to decide this. I myself have no problem in sharing the information and the hints you propose.

I am curious about hearing what other player say!

... and, by the way, I am up to uploading the novel version of the Wolf Guard! :-P
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Marco for your insight

mfenici wrote:
... and, by the way, I am up to uploading the novel version of the Wolf Guard! :-P
I will print and test it as soon as I find the opportunity
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.