Hide
10 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Upgrading from Temple to Sanctuary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David López Meseguer
msg tools
Hi, Just got my copy of Terra Mystica and after reading all the manual I have one big doubt:
- Rules says that when you upgrade from A to B you lose the effect of A. Like when upgrading from a Dwelling to a Trading Post you lose the worker income.
- Rules says that you get a favor Token when getting a Temple or Sanctuary.

So when I upgrade from a Temple to Sanctuary what happens exactly?

Do I get Another favor and have to give back another favor?
I get no favor since I gain one and lose one? (At the end I could have 4 favors with a normal race, 8 with Chaos, and 5 with Auren)

I guess it's the Later, but it's never clarified on the rules, so I just want to be sure. I Didn't found this one on the FAQ or the search...

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you keep any favor tile you acquire.
However, you would lose any priest income that you may receive.

So if you've placed two temples (which would provide 2 priest income) and you upgraded to a sanctuary, you would lose the priest income from the temple you replaced (but then you'd get the priest income from the sanctuary.

Make sense?

The "lose effect" of A, is just the income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David López Meseguer
msg tools
So,

If I upgrade from temple to Sanctuary I get another favor token?

If I have only one Sanctuary built and 0 temples I should have 2 favor tokens?

Then the total favors I would have at then is 5?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For most factions, yes. Check out the chaos magicians...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mese wrote:
If I upgrade from temple to Sanctuary I get another favor token?
yes (or two, if you're playing the Chaos Magicians)

Mese wrote:
If I have only one Sanctuary built and 0 temples I should have 2 favor tokens?
That's the minimum you should have, you may have more if you have one of a certain set of factions.

Mese wrote:
Then the total favors I would have at then is 5?
If your question is about the maximum of favors a player can have, look here: Re: A few questions after first play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the question is about "why would I ever upgrade a Temple to a Sanctuary, when I can get a favour much more cheaply by upgrading Trading Post to Temple, as well as getting another priest income?" (which is a perfectly reasonable question for a beginner to ask), then I can offer the following:

1) The fact that your income doesn't actually change can actually be an advantage! Upgrading TP to Temple loses you some income in coins and power - and coins are in some ways the most important resource in the game, at least in the sense that it's usually coins you're most short in.

2) The Sanctuary can be part of a town with only 2 other buildings, which can be very useful if land area is contested, or if you'd need a large number of spades to get a 4th directly adjacent hex.

3) The Sanctuary can get you 5 VPs if built in the appropriate round, and/or 4 from one of the bonus tiles. Building a temple, in the original base game, can never get you any VP bonuses (that has changed a little with the latest promo, a round scoring tile which gives VPs for building temples - but there is no corresponding bonus tile, so the Sanctuary usually gives more tactical and strategic advantage).

4) Don't forget that 2 factions - the Darklings and the Swarmlings - get 2 priests as income from the sanctuary.

I actually find it a pretty rare occurrence that you never build your Sanctuary in a game. Whereas I seldom build a second temple before the midgame, and very rarely build 3 (and when I do, the third only comes in the endgame).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
robinz wrote:
4) Don't forget that 2 factions - the Darklings and the Swarmlings - get 2 favours priests as income from the temple Sanctuary.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
robinz wrote:
4) Don't forget that 2 factions - the Darklings and the Swarmlings - get 2 favours priests as income from the temple Sanctuary.

FTFY

Oops, not sure how those crept in - 2 critical mistakes in 1 sentence is, well, let's just say it's reminiscent of most of my TM play in the past 6 months

Thanks James for catching that - it's fixed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading over this thread just posed a question. Does the Sanctuary effect of only needing 3 buildings to form a town ONLY apply to a town built with the Sanctuary in it? I think we may have played it a few times where once you built your Sanctuary, the rest of your towns only needed 3 buildings and if you already had the Fire Favor Tile then you only needed 6 power points worth of buildings instead of 7 which meant you could build a Town with only 3 buildings and 6 power pointsshakeshake

Oh well the games were still fun and if we did it that way then it was the same for everyone playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Does the Sanctuary effect of only needing 3 buildings to form a town ONLY apply to a town built with the Sanctuary in it?
Yes.

Fire 2 Favor Tile applies to all future towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.