Oh My Goods!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing a card to build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xristos Lagogiannis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In sunrise(phase 2)Is it necessary to place a card face down to build in phase 4 even I already know that I will hire a worker instead ? If I must do it anyways I lose a resource I could use that round. Any help plz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer has said, "it is optional. Don't do it as you would loose the card if you don't build."

See Re: phase 2, building placement required?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xristos Lagogiannis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gillum wrote:
The designer has said, "it is optional. Don't do it as you would loose the card if you don't build."

Precious guy, if I don't build the card ,I don't lose it, but it returns in my hand. Right? Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

Please note that this article was published before the new edition of the rules. You no longer lose the building card that you place down if you do not build it, so unless you might need the resource on it to activate your building, there is no risk of losing your building card, and you may absolutely pick it back up before buying an assistant.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right.

Regarding "the Building you placed face down," the original rules said, "If you cannot or do not want to build it, you must discard the card."

The new rules say, "If you cannot or do not want to build it, you return the building card to your hand."

Neither set of rules makes as clear as it might that selecting a building at Sunrise is optional.

They both use the language, "You can place a card from your hand face down in front of you. This is the Building you are going to build this round."

Use of the word "can" suggests optionality.

I believe that it is the case that, with either the old or the new rules, the card that you select at Sunrise (if any) is not available for Production.

Even with the new rules, you cannot return it to your hand until after Production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xristos Lagogiannis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed i return it at the end of the phases. So, i am not obliged to place a card face down, and even if i placed it, i may buy it, i may not. Hope i understood well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Placing a card face down can be done for bluffing reasons. You don't have to build it you can hire an assistant instead. The face down card goes back in to your hand at the end of the building phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pavey
United Kingdom
Thame
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Right.

Regarding "the Building you placed face down," the original rules said, "If you cannot or do not want to build it, you must discard the card."

The new rules say, "If you cannot or do not want to build it, you return the building card to your hand."

Neither set of rules makes as clear as it might that selecting a building at Sunrise is optional.

They both use the language, "You can place a card from your hand face down in front of you. This is the Building you are going to build this round."

Use of the word "can" suggests optionality.

I believe that it is the case that, with either the old or the new rules, the card that you select at Sunrise (if any) is not available for Production.

Even with the new rules, you cannot return it to your hand until after Production.

Sorry to bump this but I don't believe the question has been answered sufficiently in the thread. Indeed the word 'can' suggests placing a building card in phase 2 is optional. I can foresee scenarios whereby you would want to hold back all of your cards on the mega-production final round (new rules) and therefore would not want to lay a card to build or not build as the case may be. Is there a definitive answer on whether you have to pay a card face down during phase 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, placing a card in phase 2 is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pavey
United Kingdom
Thame
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alexander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.