Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placement of Ship Strikes and Upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Ackroyd
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
We played this for the first time last night, and most of the rules were pretty clear but we had one major point of contention.

The rules say that Ship Strikes are placed on the "lowest" slot of Serenity, while Upgrades are placed on the "highest" empty slot. I took this to mean the physically lowest and highest slots on the game mat, so that the first strike would be placed on the tail of Serenity (and would cost 2 credits to fix between episodes) and that upgrades we bought would be placed starting with Serenity's nose.

My husband, however, insisted that lowest meant lowest cost and highest meant highest cost, and so we ended up putting the strikes starting from the nose and upgrades starting from the tail.

This was complicated further by us purchasing the upgrade that allowed for an extra slot (the card says it's the highest slot). Because of my husband's interpretation, we put that upgrade at the very bottom of the row. But I think that extra slot should be at the top of the row (effectively in the spot where the upgrade card deck is held). The one thing neither of us was sure of in this case was whether or not we could place another upgrade on that new slot. The card text says it counts as a Serenity slot, so we figured it could hold an upgrade of its own.

tl/dr:

1. Is "lowest" the physically lowest slot printed on the mat and thus strikes start at the engine/tail of Serenity, or is "lowest" the lowest credit cost and thus strikes start at the bridge/nose of Serenity?

2. Does the upgrade card that gives an extra Serenity slot go above the bridge/nose or below the engine/tail, and do you get to place another upgrade on that or is it just for soaking additional ship strikes?

Any clarification will be much appreciated - you could save a marriage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
You are correct.

Upgrades start at the bridge and work their way down.
The extra slot is above the bridge. That card is the upgrade that goes in the slot which helps extend the life of Serenity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Ackroyd
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply, Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. I've never seen anyone interpret the rules the way your husband has.

The most official information beyond the rulebook is this link:
http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/07/legendary-encounters-a-fire...

It discusses the handling of ship strikes and upgrades. Unfortunately, it doesn't precisely say that the slot "highest/lowest" designation is expressly positional. It basically says what the manual says: "When a Ship enemy strikes, a Ship Strike is drawn and placed in the lowest slot."

If your husbands interpretation were to be correct, I would have expected it to say: "When a Ship enemy strikes, a Ship Strike is drawn and placed in the lowest cost slot."

Hopefully, an official answer will help you (not sure who from Upper Deck frequents the forum, but perhaps someone will). I can only say that the natural interpretation for the rules is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is some info from Daniel Mandel (one of the game designers) here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23505779#23505779

doesn't really cover the issue of physical placement (nose or tail), but it covers the Reinforced Hull (upgrade that gives the extra slot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best way to solve the lowest/highest debate is just to say that this is how they name the directions on the mat. Top and bottom are already used for decks, so you can't use that terminlogy. You can't use up and down as how do you refer to the most 'up' card other than highest?

I guess you could argue that 'uppermost and lowermost' could have been used, but 'higher and lower' were chosen instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Hopefully, an official answer will help you (not sure who from Upper Deck frequents the forum, but perhaps someone will).

FYI, Mark UD OP is an Upper Deck representative, and he replied in a post two up from yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
FYI, Mark UD OP is an Upper Deck representative, and he replied in a post two up from yours.

Oops, I missed that too. (he's listed as part of the development team and a playtester for the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Auzette wrote:
Hopefully, an official answer will help you (not sure who from Upper Deck frequents the forum, but perhaps someone will).

Nod. He he. Yeah, his post was made in between when I hit reply and when I was looking up the link and rulebook for her (but then, I wouldn't have guessed he was the official person by his signature, anyway).

That's cool that he's helping out with questions and clarifications. I always appreciate an official presence in game forums, makes me more confident in buying stuff when I see reps helping out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Squirrel
msg tools
If (when) your ship damage overlaps your upgrades, are the upgrades lost when that section of the ship is damaged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grimdotdotdot wrote:
If (when) your ship damage overlaps your upgrades, are the upgrades lost when that section of the ship is damaged?

Yes, the upgrades are lost. This rule was mentioned in one of the previews on the Upper Deck site leading up to the release, but somehow got omitted from the printed rulebook.

I do wish they'd put together a revised rulebook (even if it is just a PDF posted on the website) that included this, and perhaps some other clarifications and an FAQ that covered specific card questions that have come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I do wish they'd put together a revised rulebook (even if it is just a PDF posted on the website) that included this, and perhaps some other clarifications and an FAQ that covered specific card questions that have come up.

I think we've been told that this is in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
msg tools
Auzette wrote:

The most official information beyond the rulebook is this link:
http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/07/legendary-encounters-a-fire...

So Ship Strikes destroy Upgrades, and then are placed in the now empty slot.
Do Upgrades destroy/repair Ship Strikes, and then are placed in the now empty slot?
- Or must one repair at cost and then Upgrade at cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrades cannot replace Ship Strikes. If your slots are full and you want to get a new Upgrade, you must either repair a Ship Strike or discard an existing Upgrade first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Grimdotdotdot wrote:

Yes, the upgrades are lost. This rule was mentioned in one of the previews on the Upper Deck site leading up to the release, but somehow got omitted from the printed rulebook.

Thanks for this - we just picked up the game last weekend and were stumped on that. We settled on "strikes disabled upgrades until you repaired them", although I don't think it's come up since we caught the top/bottom thing. (Although I think we got the directions backwards - we've been stacking strikes from the top/down and upgrades bottom up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you got the directions backwards. The strikes should start in the spaces that cost two credits to repair. The Upgrades should start from the spaces nearest the Upgrade deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.