SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Stats for Twitch/YouTube Stream of Seafall? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
We have a copy of Seafall on order and are planning to start a Twitch stream of the game in November or December.

To prepare for the stream, if at all possible without spoiling anything, we would like to know what stats or other information people watching our Twitch Stream or YouTube videos would benefit from have clearly on the screen.

To see an example of what we are planning to do for the stream, check out our Kingdom Death Monster videos here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJMuTh7urpSyl6s_-YNrBAg

Basically, we create an overlay for the stream and write a custom application that we use to update the stats on the screen while we play.

Please avoid spoilers if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Basic stuff:
In game glory (with campaign glory if there is space)
Number of Coins/reputation/luck tokens

If possible
available milestones
Number of goods
No enmity left of current player
Enmity in the at war region of the current player and whose it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
pillinjer wrote:
Basic stuff:

If possible
available milestones
Number of goods

Thanks!

Once again, without spoilers if possible, should we plan to have space in the Overlay for any additional things to track that will crop up as we play through the game? New things that the legacy mechanic will introduce?

If so, how much additional stuff generally speaking?
- just a couple of items?
- Almost double what you listed?
- Any other ways you might be able to say without saying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory points, target glory, active advisor, and any of the information on the player boards. More difficult is going to be ranking which of that information to show in a limited space...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forgedbygeeks wrote:
pillinjer wrote:
Basic stuff:

If possible
available milestones
Number of goods

Thanks!

Once again, without spoilers if possible, should we plan to have space in the Overlay for any additional things to track that will crop up as we play through the game? New things that the legacy mechanic will introduce?

If so, how much additional stuff generally speaking?
- just a couple of items?
- Almost double what you listed?
- Any other ways you might be able to say without saying?

There are a limited number of players with spoilers, so JR may want to answer. Also, if you want to have the full experience of the game, you may not want to hear those spoilers in advance of opening them (and you wouldn't want to have spots left blank for them to spoil them for your viewers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
jayelbird wrote:
Glory points, target glory, active advisor, and any of the information on the player boards. More difficult is going to be ranking which of that information to show in a limited space...

Are there defined phases to the game where only some of the information is needed and other details are not?

If so, we can have multiple overlays and just simply click to change them as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
jayelbird wrote:

There are a limited number of players with spoilers, so JR may want to answer. Also, if you want to have the full experience of the game, you may not want to hear those spoilers in advance of opening them (and you wouldn't want to have spots left blank for them to spoil them for your viewers).

Ahh, thanks for the clarification!

Is this designed at all like Pandemic or Risk Legacy where all the unlocks are opened at the end or beginning of a new session?

If so, we can open them always at the end which would give us time to rebuild the overlays between sessions.

Also, does it have a fixed number of missions like Risk and Pandemic Legacy or is it much more open ended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you watched Rodney's "Watch It Played" for SeaFall? If not, that should give you a good idea of how the game plays (initially) and what the components look like on video.

As to what might be added later ... I can't imagine how the people who have that information (I'm not one of them) could convey it to you without spoilers. The rulebook indicates that colonies will be featured at some point (and the board has some of the information for those colonies), but other than that I don't know. I do imagine that colonies would be a major factor to make note of, though.

One other thing: there is combat against islands and players in this game. You'll probably want to figure out how to highlight the opposing sides during that resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forgedbygeeks wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Ahh, thanks for the clarification!

Is this designed at all like Pandemic or Risk Legacy where all the unlocks are opened at the end or beginning of a new session?

If so, we can open them always at the end which would give us time to rebuild the overlays between sessions.

Also, does it have a fixed number of missions like Risk and Pandemic Legacy or is it much more open ended?

Based on the information available at the beginning of the game, it is more open ended. The campaign ends when a player discovers the final island, but there is no limit to how many games it takes.
On your first question,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you open a box when instructed, not just at the end or beginning of a new session. You may end up opening that in the middle of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks a ton for the info! I am probably going to avoid watching any videos to try and avoid spoilers, but will definitely reference them if we get lost at all during the rules.

It sounds like there is some combat that goes on, so it might be good to make an overlay group that might be able to be used to show combat sequences and who is involved. We can easily cut to that during the game and likely build up an app to help manage it (replace image files with opposing units art and all stats needed for combat).

We will have the box in hand for about a month before we start streaming, so will have some time to build up the overlays.

If anyone has any more details they think would be good to pay attention to specifically for the first play session, let me know. Otherwise, what I will probably do is post here again after I get the copy and we get our first overlay ideas done to see what people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't watched your previous video, so this question comes from not understanding your plan fully. But if you are going to have combat sequence overlays, what you probably want instead is a dice pool overlay.
When you take an action like exploring or raiding, you are going to first build a dice pool. The amounts you get for each dice pool are going to be effected by a number of different things. If you want a temporary overlay, having one that calculates and shows what the total dice pool for the endeavor based on the individual element might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure of how the different overlays work, but some of the things people have mentioned so far are good. I wouldn't worry too much about making sure you have 100% of them before you start.

Ones I would say are important:

-Dice pool
-Player Province board
-Buildings
-Ships
-Vault
-Council Room
-Current Game Glory
-Campaign Glory
-Astrolabe (year tracker)
-Current Island or Sea Space (All actions take place somewhere and I think it's strongly alluded to if not stated that you will raid players.) This would also be used to highlight the Explore/Raid actions

-Available Milestones

I think that might be a lot of overlays as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
jayelbird wrote:
I haven't watched your previous video, so this question comes from not understanding your plan fully. But if you are going to have combat sequence overlays, what you probably want instead is a dice pool overlay.
When you take an action like exploring or raiding, you are going to first build a dice pool. The amounts you get for each dice pool are going to be effected by a number of different things. If you want a temporary overlay, having one that calculates and shows what the total dice pool for the endeavor based on the individual element might help.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Would it be useful to just have the total dice pool data on the screen, or as a viewer, would you prefer to have video of the actual dice pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mcs1213 wrote:
Not sure of how the different overlays work, but some of the things people have mentioned so far are good. I wouldn't worry too much about making sure you have 100% of them before you start.

Ones I would say are important:

-Dice pool
-Player Province board
-Buildings
-Ships
-Vault
-Council Room
-Current Game Glory
-Campaign Glory
-Astrolabe (year tracker)
-Current Island or Sea Space (All actions take place somewhere and I think it's strongly alluded to if not stated that you will raid players.) This would also be used to highlight the Explore/Raid actions

-Available Milestones

I think that might be a lot of overlays as it is.

Thanks for the list! I don't quite know what most of these are right now, but I am sure I will figure out some of it once I get my copy in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forgedbygeeks wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Would it be useful to just have the total dice pool data on the screen, or as a viewer, would you prefer to have video of the actual dice pool?

Do you mean the die roll? The dice pool calculation isn't something you can take video of, you just calculate it up. Seeing the die roll itself is up to how you want to record, but I imagine a closeup on a die roll would be good if it is a quick cut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.