Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewildering...general thoughts at least from those that have played it? It has cards...but not card driven? Summary mentions chitpull...really??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting point for the Consimworld thread on the OSS edition of the game is here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6ca08/499. Always good to check out other locations where the conversation is playing out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great game. There were some problems with the first edition of the rules, but they have been straightened out to my satisfaction with the revised rules and a bit of common sense.

The cards are merely an aid with which to track which provinces are under a player's control [three levels: Conquered, Influenced, and Controlled].

Yes, during the movement phase, drawing a chit determines which player moves next. Not sure why that deserves a "Really?" It's not that uncommon a mechanism.

Besides military operations, economic and diplomatic aspects are portrayed. Armies must be built and must be paid each turn, or they will desert and become marauders. Marauders and others may be hired as mercenaries, as long as one has built all of one's national units.

Religious differences affect play, particularly when one attempts to bid for various provinces. A player who shares the same religious affiliation as the province will be able to acquire it more cheaply. Also, the Imperial rules enable penalties or benefits based on one's allies and enemies.

Personally, I think it's an easily playable recreation of the Thirty Years War, one which I prefer to "Thirty Years Wars: Europe in Agony" by GMT. "HRE" plays more smoothly, and does a better job representing the elements which, in my opinion, are necessary to a game on this topic.

People were upset with the [in my opinion, minor] problems in the first edition, and childishly decided that the game was irredeemably broken. That's probably why reviews are hard to find. I've seen one video review which, in my opinion, is more of a comment on the reviewer's lack of comprehension skills than of the game itself. I enjoy it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone interested in the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff we played this at BGGCON last year. Using the first edition rules it was a struggle. There were just too many Unfilled holes in the rules. That being said we did have fun and we could see the potential. As mentioned the rules have been updated. I have not tried the new rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utterly fascinating and bewildering game about an absolutely fascinating and bewildering point in history. There are a lot of moving parts. I got lost both figuring out what to do and getting it done. Very colorful, very evocative. Put your political hat on, take that knife out of your back and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrZaat wrote:

Yes, during the movement phase, drawing a chit determines which player moves next. Not sure why that deserves a "Really?" It's not that uncommon a mechanism.

One of my favorites actually. My 'really?' was more of seeking confirmation than questioning its use here, although you usually see chitpull with operational games rather than strategic.

Thanks for the comments folks, intriguing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cezary Domalski
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group played once and for now there is no incentive to play it again. TYW by GMT is way better in our opinion, but of course HRE has advantage being an multiplayer game. Game in current version is manageable (although fiddly), but I don't know if this is a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.