4 Posts

Walnut Grove» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Town Phase Question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
Only a few games in but it seems that the general strategy for the 1st & 2nd player in the first round is to go for the huts to reduce the need for higher wood costs (a necessity in the earlier rounds of the game).

With only 8 tiles for a 4 player game, that typically means that on average only 4 huts will be available. So with 2 of them gone in the 1st round it forces other players to rapidly expand their farms for wood. This is fine but it seems to pigeon-hole the other player's choices...making the game fairly linear each and every time out.

Has anyone else run into this problem, are there ways to mitigate this behavior, or is the game "broken" with the limited amount of huts available?

We really want to like this game but it seems like this issue ruins the whole experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
shirtman wrote:
Only a few games in but it seems that the general strategy for the 1st & 2nd player in the first round is to go for the huts to reduce the need for higher wood costs (a necessity in the earlier rounds of the game).

Grabbing a hut guarantees savings. Grabbing a barn gives you more space to hold coins - end game points. If you can generate those coins while paying wood for heat then you could end up ahead of someone who bought a hut.

I agree you need more wood production if you have no hut. If that bothers you, despite an alternate path to win, then this might not be a good game for you. To me it is one more game where my opponents' actions make some alternatives better or worse for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely go for huts and yet manage to win much of the time. I've seen no correlation between hut purchases and victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies. I agree that obtaining huts isn't a recipe for victory however in the early rounds if you fail to select any tiles with little to no wood production on them you can get hit with the charity tile early and often.

I think that without a lot of strategic game play at this point the objective of wood production is front and center for most players (especially new players). We'll see how it plays out over a few more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.