Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I just read the instructions for this expansion. I remember reading previously that they were going to change the rules so that you didn't need to roll all your hearts in one turn to get an evolution. Later, I saw they were going to keep it the same as before, but was hoping they might have the change as a variant. Does anyone know anything about this rule-that-never-was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing as the OP while I read the rules this morning.

I imagine the rule would have needed some sort of token/currency system to work. Seems interesting but could've been a little clunky.

Consider something along the lines of…
"On their turn, during the Resolve Dice phase, a player may either
1) draw one Evolution card from their deck for each set of three hearts they've rolled this turn
-or-
2) collect one Evolution token for each heart they've rolled this turn.

On their turn, during the Buy Cards phase, a player may exchange 4 Evolution tokens to draw an Evolution card from their deck."

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement with some homemade components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it might be very much like that except you wouldn't be able to get an Evolution card with three hearts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I thought it might be very much like that except you wouldn't be able to get an Evolution card with three hearts.
Actually, it was quite simple:
• anytime you roll a Heart, put one Energy token on your Evolution pile.
• at the end of your turn, you can discard 4 Energy tokens from your Evolution pile to draw an Evolution card.

The rule was discarded for various reasons, but it still works quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
• at the end of your turn, you can discard 4 Energy tokens from your Evolution pile to draw an Evolution card.
That's *exactly* what I figured, except I thought there might be different tokens.

I assume that wasn't in addition to being able to "draw two, pick one" when you roll three hearts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I assume that wasn't in addition to being able to "draw two, pick one" when you roll three hearts.
Indeed, this came later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
andrewkapish wrote:
I thought the same thing as the OP while I read the rules this morning.

I imagine the rule would have needed some sort of token/currency system to work. Seems interesting but could've been a little clunky.

Consider something along the lines of…
"On their turn, during the Resolve Dice phase, a player may either
1) draw one Evolution card from their deck for each set of three hearts they've rolled this turn
-or-
2) collect one Evolution token for each heart they've rolled this turn.

On their turn, during the Buy Cards phase, a player may exchange 4 Evolution tokens to draw an Evolution card from their deck."

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement with some homemade components.

We made a house rule very similar to this. The only difference is the hearts rolled can either be used to heal or used for evolution. It creates a real situation when you have decide if you should push your luck and evolve instead of healing. We had the problem where everyone just kept healing and evolving for the first 30 mins before they actually start trying to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:

The rule was discarded for various reasons, but it still works quite well.

Could you elaborate on the reasons? I think I might switch to using this variant for our games and I'd appreciate any insight as to why you didn't go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:
Could you elaborate on the reasons? I think I might switch to using this variant for our games and I'd appreciate any insight as to why you didn't go with it.
The main (and only?) reason was to keep it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was pretty excited about the new rule. Then I thought about it some more and decided I like it better the old way. Here are some reasons why:

- The three-heart system is more consistent with other rules in the game (three stars for superstar, three ouches for all the military to attack, and in KoT, three numbers for points and three claws to steal someone's costume)
- Building up "heart tokens" is too similar too energy. In particular, the way that rolling a lightning bolt is a dummy prize.
- With the original rules, you have to actually make an effort to get an evolution (unless you're very lucky)
- The heart tokens make it more consistent for people rolling hearts to get evolution cards and I don't want that since it's usually the cowardly staying-out-of-Manhattan types.
- As Matt said, it's simpler as-is and less fiddly, since you don't have to deal with an extra counter type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.