Subject: Complexity/Weight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Luis Acevedo García
Spain
Montijo (Badajoz)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in, THe Voyages of Marco Polo and Grand Austria Hotel are among the best games I have ever played, so for me this is an instabuy.

But by reading the rules I'm not so sure how complex this game will be. Anyone has a better idea on how complex this seems to be compared to, for example, Marco Polo or GAH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Herrero
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It looks kind of heavy but little is known about it. I just found out about this games because I listened to "Mas Madera" podcast yesterday. Tiene muy buena pinta!
I guess we will know about it after the Essen Spiel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Luciani
Italy
Fermo
AP
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Lorenzo has complexity more similat to GAH than Marco Polo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karthik Setty
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagoBaol wrote:

GAH is my sweet spot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Luis Acevedo García
Spain
Montijo (Badajoz)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Simone for your reply. GAH has a great complexity and replayability,so if Lorenzo is similar in those terms, the game will be an insta-hit for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
The Faith track instantly reminded me of the Emperor track in GAH, but with more options than pass/fail. So I'm hopeful of something along GAH's weight/complexity as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules make me feel like this is a mash up of The Voyages of Marco Polo and Grand Austria Hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagoBaol wrote:

So, are you of the opinion that these have appreciably different weights? I could check the BGG average weights but I find those can be unreliable. My feeling playing both of those is that they should be pretty close to each other, maybe just above 3. I'm a bit curious now which you would say is heavier.

I think then that this gives me an idea for its weight, but the fact that you made the distinction confuses me a bit. I mean, about as much below Tzolk'in as it is above Council of Four, does that sound like a good description?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Luciani
Italy
Fermo
AP
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In my feeling GAH is more complex than Marco Polo. The number of rules are more or less the same, but GAH is "harder" to play, longer and brain burning. Marco polo is shorter and with a better game flow. Lorenzo has a good game flow (don't have the down time of GAH) but with some complex and intresting decision. And it's a bit longer than Marco Polo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Paul
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, because in my feeling is exactly the opposite: GAH is much lighter than Marco Polo - which has indeed a better game flow.
But the strategic component in MP is more important than in GAH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagoBaol wrote:
In my feeling GAH is more complex than Marco Polo. The number of rules are more or less the same, but GAH is "harder" to play, longer and brain burning. Marco polo is shorter and with a better game flow. Lorenzo has a good game flow (don't have the down time of GAH) but with some complex and intresting decision. And it's a bit longer than Marco Polo.

Ok, I think I see what you mean. I was thinking more in terms of what you said about "number of rules" but I think I agree that I feel like I'm overall thinking more in GAH, so I'm glad to hear that Lorenzo is similar in that way. I just finished reading the rules myself and they made me more excited for the game. I think you're right, there should be some nice interesting decisions in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.