Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Article from the Washington Post.

Trump used $258,000 from his charity to settle legal issues.

Quotes:

Quote:
In one case, from 2007, Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club faced $120,000 in unpaid fines from the town of Palm Beach, Fla., resulting from a dispute over the size of a flagpole.

In a settlement, Palm Beach agreed to waive those fines — if Trump’s club made a $100,000 donation to a specific charity for veterans. Instead, Trump sent a check from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, a charity funded almost entirely by other people’s money, according to tax records.

Quote:
“I represent 700 nonprofits a year, and I’ve never encountered anything so brazen,” said Jeffrey Tenenbaum, who advises charities at the Venable law firm in Washington. After The Post described the details of these Trump Foundation gifts, Tenenbaum described them as “really shocking.”

“If he’s using other people’s money — run through his foundation — to satisfy his personal obligations, then that’s about as blatant an example of self-dealing [as] I’ve seen in a while,” Tenenbaum said.

Quote:
In another instance, from 2013, the Trump Foundation made a $5,000 donation to the D.C. Preservation League, according to the group and tax filings. That nonprofit’s support has been helpful for Trump as he has turned the historic Old Post Office Pavilion on Washington’s Pennsylvania Avenue NW into a luxury hotel.

The Trump Foundation’s donation to that group bought a “sponsorship,” which included advertising space in the programs for three big events that drew Washington’s real estate elite. The ads did not mention the foundation or anything related to charity. Instead, they promoted Trump’s hotels, with glamorous photos and a phone number to call to make a reservation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you monkey fucks didnt give a shit about mishandling charity money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

We do when charity money is actually mishandled. In reality. Not in your imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
So hostile, is Trump your cousin or something?

Why can't he/we/they not care about it, but point it out to all the "monkey fucks" who care about Clinton's shenanigans? In other words, it becomes a non-issue to the lesser-of-two-evils voters because both of them are equally evil on this point and we don't need to hear anymore complaining about it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

We do when charity money is actually mishandled. In reality. Not in your imagination.

Riiigghhttttt.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

If Trump used charity money to settle his legal fees, do you feel it was okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

No.
It is not ok.
See that? That is an actual answer.
Something you dumb asses cant give when talking about Hillary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

No.
It is not ok.

Do you have any evidence the Clinton Foundation has mishandled charity money? The only thing I've seen is the claim that less than 6% of the Clinton Foundation's money goes to charitable grants. As was explained in the other thread: That's because they're a public charity, not a private foundation. They don't raise money and funnel it to other charities, they do the actual charitable work. Their balance sheet looks just like any other charity that employs a lot of people (>2000) who are in the field working.

There are plenty of things she does wrong, but their charity is actually pretty highly thought of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to post but I'd have to take my hands off my monkey first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

Whether anyone feels it was OK or not is now irrelevant, or should be.

If the Post digs up more, it'll take the Trump campaign out of the penny-ante stuff and into true civil enforcement action in front of the FTC, since charity fraud is a thing they handle. Since, well, the Trump Foundation sure acts like a scam to funnel other people's money into whatever Trump wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

If the Post digs up more, it'll take the Trump campaign out of the penny-ante stuff and into true civil enforcement action in front of the FTC, since charity fraud is a thing they handle. Since, well, the Trump Foundation sure acts like a scam to funnel other people's money into whatever Trump wants.

Don't worry, the DOJ will just come out and say that we dont prosecute people for that kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So hostile, is Trump your cousin or something?

Why can't he/we/they not care about it, but point it out to all the "monkey fucks" who care about Clinton's shenanigans? In other words, it becomes a non-issue to the lesser-of-two-evils voters because both of them are equally evil on this point and we don't need to hear anymore complaining about it anymore.

I almost thumbed him because I liked the phrase "...you monkey f**ks". However, I didn't because I didn't want to be accused of being a "Dashi supporter".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
bbenston wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

Don't worry, the DOJ will just come out and say that we dont prosecute people for that kind of thing.

WHAT IS IT WHEN ATTORNEYS GENERAL INVESTIGATE DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND FIND DIFFERENT THINGS UNFAIR

Oh man, will I get to see a Democrat_Privilege tag up top? ohpleaseohpleaseohplease
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrutiny of Trump Foundation Deepens
The Hill wrote:
On the legal question, experts agreed that use of the $258,000 in charity fundsby Trump appears improper.

“Without question these transactions are self dealing,” said Marcus Owens, a lawyer who represents charities and previously ran the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt organizations.

Larry Noble, general counsel of the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center, said is no legal ambiguity unless the Trump campaign can disprove the facts in the Post report.

The campaign did not return a request for comment from The Hill.

In the most expensive example of Trump's alleged “self-dealing,” the Post reported that one of the GOP nominee's golf courses agreed to settle a lawsuit by donating to a charity chosen by the plaintiff. Instead of Trump settling out of his own pocket, he used his charitable foundation to donate the $158,000 owed, according to tax records reported by the Post.

While the statute of limitations had already expired on some of the new allegations, Owens said the “pattern of facts” is so egregious that he believes there are grounds for the IRS to force the Trump Foundation to forfeit 100 percent of its assets to the U.S. Treasury. That rare action involves a section of the Internal Revenue Code that penalizes foundations engaging in willful, repeated or flagrant violations of tax law.

“The Trump Foundation is flirting with what’s called a termination tax,” Owens said. “That is the end of the foundation’s existence as an organization.”

The article also makes the point that this will likekely not change any voter minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Trump's SOP:

CNN wrote:
Donald Trump bragged Tuesday there's "nothing like" using other people's money, hours after a report said he used more than $250,000 from his charitable organization to litigate lawsuits against his business interests.

Trump, while calling for building safe zones in Syria financed by Gulf states, vaunted the benefits of doing business with "OPM."
"It's called OPM. I do it all the time in business. It's called other people's money," Trump said. "There's nothing like doing things with other people's money because it takes the risk -- you get a good chunk out of it and it takes the risk."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

No. ( this is looking good! I'll probably tip and thumb this!)
It is not ok.
See that? That is an actual answer. (Yes I agree! Well done!)
Something you dumb asses (rats!) cant give when talking about Hillary.

Soooo Close! to being a civil productive post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

No.
It is not ok.

Do you have any evidence the Clinton Foundation has mishandled charity money? The only thing I've seen is the claim that less than 6% of the Clinton Foundation's money goes to charitable grants. As was explained in the other thread: That's because they're a public charity, not a private foundation. They don't raise money and funnel it to other charities, they do the actual charitable work. Their balance sheet looks just like any other charity that employs a lot of people (>2000) who are in the field working.

There are plenty of things she does wrong, but their charity is actually pretty highly thought of.

Actually, their balance sheet looks much better than average according to charity navigator. They have lower administrative and fund raising costs than many large charities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Yes or no.

No.
It is not ok.

Actually, their balance sheet looks much better than average according to charity navigator. They have lower administrative and fund raising costs than many large charities.

If Dashi ran a charity, what do think it's charter would look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PLOT TWIST

Article from the Des Moines Register.

Lynne Patton, longtime and current Trump family aide wrote:
“A lot of times Mr. Trump will give a speech somewhere or he’ll raise money in some way and he asks that that entity, instead of cutting a personal check to him, cut it to his charity,” Patton said. “That’s money that otherwise would’ve been in his personal account, right?”

“So when he cuts a check from his foundation for let’s say, St. Jude, it is his money,” she added. “No ifs, ands or ways about it.”

No, Lynne, it isn't. This is not even close to how charitable organizations work. Trump is self-dealing, which is against the law.

This is just more evidence that the Trump family treats their "charity" as a personal slush fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.