Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find it, don't know if I searched correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How can I sort my collection by weight?
Go to your collection page. Just above the dark blue bar at the top portion of the page on the right side, you see "Download board games: (all | owned)".

Click the "owned" link to download your collection. You'll quickly get a geekmail with yet another link to open an Excel file. When I did this just now, the weight was appropriately all the way in column "W" of the spreadsheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like my collection actually "landed" in this spreadsheet.
Haven't a clue about how to organize this further, but I have something to start with.

Thanks for this tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuck again: it seems all info landed in column A, divided by comma's.
By simple counting I confirmed weight should have ended up in column W indeed, but it didn't. Anybody recognize this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How can I sort my collection by weight? NEW PROBLEM
Make sure that when you open the program, you use the Import menu instead of just Open, and select the Comma Delimited file type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Make sure that when you open the program, you use the Import menu instead of just Open, and select the Comma Delimited file type.

Appreciate the help, but I'm too unfamiliar with Excel to understand any of this. I'll ask for help in my neighbourhood...

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Wayman
United States
Palmetto
FL
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Navy Brat, Dad served as a volunteer on Submarines in the 60's and 70'. I was there to watch them Commission his last two boats,SSN615 Gato and SSN684 Cavalla.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a tool available to create a PDF of your collection and it can be customized to sort as you desire. I keep Rank, Rating and Weight for my games. http://www.bgg2pdf.com/#/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another way, and someone else does all the work for you. Write to
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
and ask to be a member of his statistical website: Friendless Stats.

He will sort your games for you by weight . . . among many other ways to sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thank you to
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for helping me out, and for all the helpful tips given by others. You people are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwayman wrote:
There is a tool available to create a PDF of your collection and it can be customized to sort as you desire. I keep Rank, Rating and Weight for my games. http://www.bgg2pdf.com/#/

I love this! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanna bump this topic for the purpose of suggesting to the Powers That Be that a "weight" column should REALLY be added to the "Columns" options when viewing one's collection.
This would avoid the need to download files, open things in Excel, sign up for some file creator, create PDFs, message some dude, join some guild, send some carrier pigeons, and learn morse code when simply trying to view your collection by weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmb
fakewindow wrote:
Just wanna bump this topic for the purpose of suggesting to the Powers That Be that a "weight" column should REALLY be added to the "Columns" options when viewing one's collection.
This would avoid the need to download files, open things in Excel, sign up for some file creator, create PDFs, message some dude, join some guild, send some carrier pigeons, and learn morse code when simply trying to view your collection by weight.

I totally agree! Depending on who is attending our game events/nights definitely makes a difference of which games that I take. If complexity/weight was listed as a column, I can quickly identify which games fit the group attending. And, it would also be helpful to have the columns # of Players and Playing Time as options to display when viewing your collection directly within BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
getchristylove wrote:
fakewindow wrote:

I totally agree! Depending on who is attending our game events/nights definitely makes a difference of which games that I take. If complexity/weight was listed as a column, I can quickly identify which games fit the group attending. And, it would also be helpful to have the columns # of Players and Playing Time as options to display when viewing your collection directly within BGG.

I use the Advanced Search for that where I can choose options like weight, playing time, player number etc. and just have it search only in my collection. That way I see only the games I am actually interested in instead of having to scroll through my entire collection to "manually" look for the ones that fit my criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
getchristylove wrote:
fakewindow wrote:

I use the Advanced Search for that where I can choose options like weight, playing time, player number etc. and just have it search only in my collection. That way I see only the games I am actually interested in instead of having to scroll through my entire collection to "manually" look for the ones that fit my criteria.

If I'm reading your post correctly, this still doesn't solve the problem; at least for me. Even if you search for games within a range of weight, it still does not give you view options to sort them in any order once you receive results. So I can't see their weight in a list, or what order they rank in terms of "weight."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmb
True. The 'advanced search' option helps you filter the game but you are still without a visual of what the weight actually is. I have no idea why BGG hasn't added that column after all these years. I think I'll do a temporary workaround and reuse other columns for this purpose. I'll add the weight to the 'Versions' field and add any information regarding the version into the 'Comments' field. I was considering adding the weight to the 'Your Rating' field but afraid that may skew other stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getchristylove wrote:
temporary workaround and reuse other columns for this purpose. I'll add the weight to the 'Versions' field and add any information regarding the version into the 'Comments' field.

I've added the weight of all my games to the comments field. I can't sort that field by weight, but it's there to look at.

To get a list sorted by weight I use John Farrell's statistics site.

I've also made my own spreadsheet listing all my games. One column is weight. And since it's a spreadsheet I can sort by any column I choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmb
Hey, Kathleen... I hope to see you next time you're in our neck of the woods.

The challenge is using BGG's existing structure and being able to view it on the screen as I really don't want to use another site or have to maintain a separate listing. I wish BGG would just add it so we wouldn't have to jump through hoops and find alternate workarounds.

By the way, I liked Merkator so much that it is now part of my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getchristylove wrote:
being able to view it on the screen as I really don't want to use another site

Christy, John Farrell's statistics are so useful. Once you send him a message he adds your screen name to his program. When you go there, all your collection data is available and sortable in many ways. I have the link on my Quickbar, so all I have to do is click - from BGG main screen - and I'm there. I don't feel like I'm leaving BGG, because it's just one click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Eklov
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fakewindow wrote:

Agreed! It would also reduce the effort needed to assign personal weights to games. Currently you have to navigate to every game page individually and participate in the weight 'poll'. Hence, the functionality is rarely used or useful.

Add weight to the collection columns and make it easier for users to assign weights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekloff wrote:
fakewindow wrote:

Agreed! It would also reduce the effort needed to assign personal weights to games. Currently you have to navigate to every game page individually and participate in the weight 'poll'. Hence, the functionality is rarely used or useful.

Add weight to the collection columns and make it easier for users to assign weights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.