Subject: 3D Printed minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So I've been seeing some cool home brew templates for character cards, missions, items, etc. Anyone know of anyone getting into using 3D printers to print custom miniatures for IA? I've never designed anything on a 3D printer myself but if there were some starter template files out there, it seems like it could really take off. It'd definitely be a much cooler solution than hunting for crappy WOTC miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hart
United States
DPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of Kickstarter and other projects where they send you the .stl files for 3D printing. Getting into the hobby is expensive. For a good quality printer to print 28mm figures you are looking at around 800-1200 USD. Current plastic mold technology is still much cleaner and nicer. I use my 3D printer for terrain, tokens and modifications, etc. www.thingiverse.com is a good place to start to look at what kinds of things are possible. There are a ton more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Shplay wrote:
So I've been seeing some cool home brew templates for character cards, missions, items, etc. Anyone know of anyone getting into using 3D printers to print custom miniatures for IA? I've never designed anything on a 3D printer myself but if there were some starter template files out there, it seems like it could really take off. It'd definitely be a much cooler solution than hunting for crappy WOTC miniatures.

Printing 3D Star Wars-licensed characters will end up getting you in heat... I've seen lots of people making terminals, doors and boxes, and I'm sure those are totally fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Printing 3D Star Wars-licensed characters will end up getting you in heat... I've seen lots of people making terminals, doors and boxes, and I'm sure those are totally fine.

Selling unlicensed Star Wars stuff is an issue, not making them for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Holy cow. I'm not paying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm no expert but for basic 3D printed stuff but the quality from my $400 printer is fine for boxy stuff like doors and crates but insufficient for the detail you would want for a figure.

I'm sure you could order something printed from http://shapeways.com on their much nicer printers if you're looking for a 1-off but it's not affordable at scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Oh wait, you meant for a printer. I'm looking for some sort of a la carte service that lets you design something on a computer and send it to them to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, I have some good news and bad news for you. Bad news are, even if you learned to design a 28mm miniature in a 3d program (you won't, it's super daunting if you're a beginner), you'll be disappointed in the print quality. The result will look something like this. Look through the pictures, see the difference in the 3d model and the actual printed result.

However, there's a service out there that I think you'll find interesting:

Hero Forge.

You can design your own mini and have it printed out by professionals who're specialized in this sort of thing. Their print quality is actually pretty decent. The caveat is that they don't do Star Wars (no license), only generic stuff. So your custom characters are pretty much limited to human-like humanoids. Luckily the clothing and accessory department is quite vast, so you can make a jedi in robes, or a mercenary in a power armor. You can make a "Bothan" by selecting some furry features (from the fantasy category), and if you're not afraid of some DIY modifications, you can design a bald character and make some head tentacles out of green stuff at home, and have a Twi'lek. There's a generic robot too. But Wookiees are right out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shplay wrote:
Oh wait, you meant for a printer. I'm looking for some sort of a la carte service that lets you design something on a computer and send it to them to print.

Many public libraries these days have 3D printing services for a small fee. I've used the Cleveland Public Library for 3D printing in the past. You'll need to do some research, though, to find out if your local library's printer can produce the level of detail you'd need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:

However, there's a service out there that I think you'll find interesting:

Hero Forge.

You can design your own mini and have it printed out by professionals who're specialized in this sort of thing. Their print quality is actually pretty decent. The caveat is that they don't do Star Wars (no license), only generic stuff. So your custom characters are pretty much limited to human-like humanoids. Luckily the clothing and accessory department is quite vast, so you can make a jedi in robes, or a mercenary in a power armor. You can make a "Bothan" by selecting some furry features (from the fantasy category), and if you're not afraid of some DIY modifications, you can design a bald character and make some head tentacles out of green stuff at home, and have a Twi'lek. There's a generic robot too. But Wookiees are right out.

Hrm... I'll have to investigate doing a Twi'lek. I used Hero Forge for a custom mini for my wife and it looks great. They have a great selection of sci-fi stuff, and with a little creative mixing and matching, you can come up with a Star Wars aesthetic that fits right in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.