Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Mystery Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the past two updates from the Kickstarter and still don't get the mystery box comments.

I'm sure I missed something.

Are they including mystery boxes with pledges? I don't have a clue of what is going on.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mystery Box was a 15$ add-on available during the kickstarter campaign. Basically you were bidding on something you had no idea of. Surprise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pledge doesn't include any mystery boxes. Those can be purchased through pledge manager $15/piece. The content is unknown, but each mystery box is exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they spend as much effort on the game as they do communicating and updating / teasing information about the mystery box it's going to be a fantastic experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please report back when you guys find out what's in it! (Might stick it in spoiler tags for those who haven't gotten their pledges yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as long as it isn't a loved one's head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real mystery is when Folklore's delivery date will be announced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovering it's something mysterious for which you'd want one per player has certainly made the collector in me who felt obliged to bid for one a little grumpy.

So it's either $75 for 5 boxes (I'll be playing this with fully player count, I'm fairly sure) or just get one (which no doubt we won't use, to be fair to everyone). I don't think I'm prepared to invest $75 on "a fun surprise" right now - kickstarter itself is enough of a mad gamble without turning that dial up to 11 with bascially blind box bull-hockey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Discovering it's something mysterious for which you'd want one per player has certainly made the collector in me who felt obliged to bid for one a little grumpy.

So it's either $75 for 5 boxes (I'll be playing this with fully player count, I'm fairly sure) or just get one (which no doubt we won't use, to be fair to everyone). I don't think I'm prepared to invest $75 on "a fun surprise" right now - kickstarter itself is enough of a mad gamble without turning that dial up to 11 with bascially blind box bull-hockey

Contact GBG and tell them you want to drop the 1 mystery box from your pledge. Give them the reasoning you told us. Suggest that if the contents are revealed before the pledge manager closes on December 31, you may add 1 or 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard from customer support today (which was surprisingly good btw) that final shipping is still scheduled for Q1 of 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:
Well, as long as it isn't a loved one's head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
I just heard from customer support today (which was surprisingly good btw) that final shipping is still scheduled for Q1 of 2017.

Thanks for the update. I did order a mystery box awhile back and I'm looking forward to it - looks like they are pushing them kinda hard. Two updates in a row on the mystery box. Hoping to get more solid info on an update sooner than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged for a mystery box as a surprise sounded potentially fun, but this latest update really kills it. It likely won't be used if only one player has it. I can't see blind-buying more than one. And I really can't imagine anything that each player would need one of that I'd want to begin with.

What could it be anyway? My best guess would be some kind of hit point tracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is something cool that everyone would want to use, you might be able to give it to a certain player based on in-game circumstances (lowest current HP, lowest current XP, etc) to sort of balance things out a bit.

The straggler always has the least fun, this could be a way to help fix that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the way they are using really strange word choices like "immersive" and how only one player can "enjoy" the content, I'm leaning more to thinking this is something really odd and out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am expecting it to be something like the card holder/point tracker like they made for Zombicide:Black Plague or Massive Darkness. If that were the case it would be sweet to have one per player. Still, if you wanted one each for five players thats a $75 investment. Seems a bit much for a "mystery" box. I went for the "all-in" pledge and then added two mystery boxes to the order. It would be really nice if Greenbrier were to give us a bit more of a hint....

From the update:
The mystery boxes are not randomized. Each box will contain the same content.
The contents of one box can only be enjoyed by an individual player.
Multiple copies of the box in a single play group are not redundant (i.e. everyone at the table could enjoy having one).
The order limit on the pledge manager is set at 8 per customer only because that is the limit on all of our addons. You would typically only want 1 box per person in your play group, unless you specifically wanted extras.
The mystery box is an experiential upgrade, but is not necessary to enjoy your quest. Folklore will be fun, immersive, and filled with mystery regardless.
We will have a small stock of boxes available for purchase on our webstore after the campaign. However, they will only be available while supplies last.

I can imagine that many people may just wait to see what it is, then if it is something they really want, order it from their webstore after the game ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole 'enjoy' and 'immersion' comments really have me wondering if it is even game content at all, or if it will actually be something like a "character diary" or a cupcake with an Affliction character on it or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-ordering this is going to get in the way of my maximum pledge for Kingdom Death's second kickstarter. But I want this one bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and the only thing that makes sense is that it's a kazoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and the only thing that makes sense is that it's a kazoo.

I can confirm it is not a kazoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
From the update:

Multiple copies of the box in a single play group are not redundant (i.e. everyone at the table could enjoy having one).

I wanted to make sure each player has one, so I went all in for 6. We often play with 6, so I'm sure it won't be hard to adapt to 6p.

Time will tell whether this was foolish or wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Brian T wrote:
From the update:

I wanted to make sure each player has one, so I went all in for 6. We often play with 6, so I'm sure it won't be hard to adapt to 6p.

Time will tell whether this was foolish or wise.

GBG has said that it wouldn't be bad to have one for each player. And as someone who knows what the mystery box is...I have to agree.

Thanks for getting 6 and supporting the project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.