MBT» Forums » Rules

Subject: Command Control question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dávid Tóth
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't quite wrap my head around optional rule 21.0 (Command Control). Specifically, I have problems with 21.1.2. When is a player permitted to exchange command markers? This rule seems a little pointless to me, since according to my interpretation of the rules, a player gets to choose which command marker to give to a unit every mark orders step.
Losing platoon COs is supposed to 'freeze' all subordinate units for a turn when this rule is in effect. How does that happen?
Maybe I am misinterpreting, and command markers actually stay on the board after a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I share your puzzlement. The rule in question seems only to make sense if, absent any exertion of command and control, units retain their command markers from turn to turn. And although nothing rules that out (e.g., the turn sequence does not end with "pick up all command markers"), nothing actually comes out and says it, either.

I would be concerned that the game would begin to take on aspects of RoboRally.

In the second edition, there is no "exchanging": the number of command points constrains the number of order markers that can be placed to begin with, and not every unit can expect to get one. OTOH, a group of units can be subject to the same command marker, according to various constraints too complex to give here. Units without command markers can only undertake basic functions like shooting at the nearest enemy. And then there are No Command command markers, which make sense when you get to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dávid Tóth
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it does seem like the command markers stay on the board unless exchanged via a command point. The article in General seems to imply that.
Also, if you look at the play aid card's sequence of play table, it says: "Place or adjust command markers."
The IDF manual could perhaps clear this confusion up, but I don't have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.