5 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Does legacy include all the roles & events from On the Brink? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I own pandemic + On the Brink expansion for iPad and have enjoyed it.

I want the board game now to play with friends and family.

The base pandemic game is like $25 and the "On the Brink" expansion is like $25 as well. That's $50... about the cost of Legacy.

Does legacy include all the roles and event cards of on the brink?

If so, wouldn't it make sense to just buy Legacy? That way we have the option of playing the campaign at a later date (which I'm sure I'd figure out how to make re-usable with removable stickers etc.)

I only ever use the role and event cards from "On the Brink" on the iPad.. don't much care for virulent strain , petri dishes and other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of aspects from On the Brink that are in Legacy, but they're totally different experiences. I have On the Brink as well as Legacy.

On the Brink has:
- 5th player Bioterrorist
- Insert designed to hold regular pandemic
- New roles not found in Legacy
- Different mutated strains

By contract:
- The legacy mechanic of Pandemic legacy means you will not be able to play a regular pandemic game after. The board is also slightly different to accomodate the events that happen in Legacy (i.e. the routes are different for Santiago and Lima)
- New roles that have been ADJUSTED for the legacy campaign
- Several new features that can't be used with the regular game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep things devoid of potential spoilers, I am going to keep this vague. But in a nutshell, if you want the traditional Pandemic experience, you will be better off buying regular Pandemic + On the Brink instead of trying to adapt Legacy to fit your needs.

While it is possible to play Vanilla Pandemic somewhat with Legacy (the rulebook even encourages it if you've never played Pandemic before), there are slight differences that makes it not a perfect correlation. As mentioned, the map is slightly different and a few roles have been adjusted to fit the new Legacy campaign. Quite simply, there are a few roles from On the Brink that don't exist. Likewise, without going into spoilers, you would basically "ruin" your Legacy experience in order to access the other On the Brink roles.

I hope that makes sense. I own Pandemic + On the Brink and I also own Pandemic Legacy. But I definitely won't be getting rid of my vanilla Pandemic box because it is a very different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on the iOS all the time. I think you would be fine going with the legacy version. Except the bio terrorist and the mutations you can play the characters the same as vanilla/otb.

If you had to have the otb stuff buy the legacy version and later add the Otb expansion.

It's the #1 game in the world for a reason. It's that good. And I love vanilla pandemic.

You won't be sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the box, Pandemic Legacy only comes with 5 player roles - by the end of the campaign, you have rather more, but:

a) you need to open various sealed components to find all of them
b) some of them have Legacy specific abilities (this isn't one in the game but imagine a character with the ability: "When Elvis enters a city, remove all panic level stickers from it. Panic cannot increase in Elvis' current location" - obviously unprintably powerful in Legacy, but useless in vanilla.)
c)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not all the base-game roles turn up in Legacy

You can play something closely resembling vanilla Pandemic with a fresh Pandemic Legacy set, but you need proxies and/or house rules to get an exact match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.