Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rapid Mobilization when all probe cards indicate Imperial Systems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garth Brooks
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
So let's say that my Rebel Base has been revealed, and I play Rapid Mobilization to move my base. (I can't recall units due to the reveal.)

I draw 4 probe cards, and my luck reveals that every one of those systems is an Imperial system.

The card tells me to "Establish a new base." It does not tell me that "You may establish a new base."

The way I read this means that I must choose one of the Imperial systems as the new location for my base. My base then immediately becomes re-revealed due to the Imperial Loyalty and/or the presence of Imperial ground forces, which means that my survival depends on me choosing a system with Imperial Loyalty without the presence of Imperial ground forces.

If I can find such a system, it is still extremely unlikely that I survive due to the fact that the Imperial player can simply deploy a ground unit during the following Refresh Phase and win the game.

Am I understanding the rules correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is answered in the Rules Reference Guide, page 11.

First, even if you DO draw a valid system, you aren't required to move the base.

"The Rebel player can draw and look at the probe cards and decide not to establish a new base."

If you draw only Imperial systems:

"If all cards drawn are systems that have Imperial loyalty, Imperial units, or a destroyed system marker, the Rebel player cannot establish a new base this round."

I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ming_Tso wrote:
So let's say that my Rebel Base has been revealed, and I play Rapid Mobilization to move my base. (I can't recall units due to the reveal.)

I draw 4 probe cards, and my luck reveals that every one of those systems is an Imperial system.

The card tells me to "Establish a new base." It does not tell me that "You may establish a new base."

The way I read this means that I must choose one of the Imperial systems as the new location for my base. My base then immediately becomes re-revealed due to the Imperial Loyalty and/or the presence of Imperial ground forces, which means that my survival depends on me choosing a system with Imperial Loyalty without the presence of Imperial ground forces.

If I can find such a system, it is still extremely unlikely that I survive due to the fact that the Imperial player can simply deploy a ground unit during the following Refresh Phase and win the game.

Am I understanding the rules correctly?

sigmazero13 wrote:

First, even if you DO draw a valid system, you aren't required to move the base.

"The Rebel player can draw and look at the probe cards and decide not to establish a new base."

"If all cards drawn are systems that have Imperial loyalty, Imperial units, or a destroyed system marker, the Rebel player cannot establish a new base this round."

I hope this helps

Also, please note that the Imperial player would not win simply by having ground forces present at your base.

Rules Reference PG 14 Lower Right Column

WINNING THE GAME
- The Imperial player wins the game immediately if there are
Imperial units in the Rebel base’s system and there are no
Rebel units in the system.

• The Imperial player can win only if the Rebel base is
revealed.

- The Rebel player wins the game immediately if the reputation
marker is in the same space as the time marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but since units don't come with you when you move the base and the OP is talking about establishing the base in an already loyal Imperial system, it would be revealed immediately and could be overtaken with the deployment of a single ground unit.

That's where not establishing a new base would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's part of why the rules allow you to leave your base where it is, I'm sure.

The Imperial Loyalty bit is moot anyway, since it's not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Imperial Units rule is an important one as well. I made an error one game (which we were fortunately able to backtrack, a bit to my disadvantage) of relocating the Rebel Base to a system with Rebel Loyalty and Rebel ground units - forgetting that the Imperial Units in orbital blockade prevent such a move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I hope this helps

See the rules on page 13 under "You're ****ed"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
If you're in a bind you have to use two leaders, or use Contingency plan to move it twice. If you use two leaders on CP, can you look at 16 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
If you're in a bind you have to use two leaders, or use Contingency plan to move it twice. If you use two leaders on CP, can you look at 16 cards?

I would think so, but it would be two sets of 8, not one big batch of 16. (If you use CP in general, you resolve it twice, pulling cards each time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
Right, figured they'd be separate. But it certainly gives you options in a pinch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Brooks
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Darth Coupon wrote:

Each resolve of double-leader Rapid Mobilization would go off separately, meaning that you would first look at 8 cards, move your base, dump all your units in the old system and give the Imperial player the probe card, then for some reason, you'd look at 8 more cards, choose one, then flip over the card that you just previously chose and give it to the Imperial player, and now that's where your base is.

So yeah, I guess you technically could look at 16 cards if you wanted. But only if you wanted to give the Imperial player 2 probe cards instead of one and forgo the awesome opportunity to zing the units you just dumped out of your old base into the new one.

Also, I really hope your old rebel base space didn't have one of your leaders in it or else you're on a fat trip to nowhere-land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ming_Tso wrote:
... and forgo the awesome opportunity to zing the units you just dumped out of your old base into the new one.

You can never do this.

Rapid Mobilization is resolved in the Rebel Base Space. Thus, when you reveal Rapid Mobilization (both times), you place the leader or leaders assigned to the mission into the Rebel Base Space. Those leaders will stop you from moving units in the old base's system to the new base.

So if you are doing the Rapid Mobilization + Contingency Plan combo to try to protect the base, you'll need some units elsewhere to head to the new place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ming_Tso wrote:
So yeah, I guess you technically could look at 16 cards if you wanted. But only if you wanted to give the Imperial player 2 probe cards instead of one ...

You wouldn't necessarily have to give them 2 probe cards; if you didn't like any in the first batch, you don't have to move the base at all and thus wouldn't give them the old base's probe card. Of course, you won't know what you may pull in the second batch to see if anything is better.

Quote:
and forgo the awesome opportunity to zing the units you just dumped out of your old base into the new one.

You can't really do that, since resolving Rapid Mobilization requires you to put your leader in the Base. So if you do use Contingency Plan to activate it twice, and move the base with the first instance, your leaders are going to be in the old base's system, which would prevent you from moving the units there out with the second Rapid Mobilization. (Rapid Mobilization allows you to ignore adjacency, but it doesn't allow you to ignore leaders).

Quote:
Also, I really hope your old rebel base space didn't have one of your leaders in it or else you're on a fat trip to nowhere-land.

As above, it doesn't matter, since moving the base would put leaders there anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:

Contingency plan is actually best used here, because if you successfully move with the RM you can save Contingency plan or use it for something totally different.

Basically what I'm saying is that Contingency plan is best used as your... well... as your contingency plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
Contingency plan is actually best used here, because if you successfully move with the RM you can save Contingency plan or use it for something totally different.

But Rapid Mobilization is resolved at the end of the round. So you need to commit Contingency Plan to it before you know whether the base will successfully move...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.