BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Do I need to bring cash? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
August Kørvell
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hello!

Spiel'16 will be my first board game con ever, and I am wondering if I need to bring cash for the games I want to buy or if I can pay with card?

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to meeting you all in Essen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siraggi wrote:
Hello!

Spiel'16 will be my first board game con ever, and I am wondering if I need to bring cash for the games I want to buy or if I can pay with card?

Cash and lots of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you need to bring cash. There will be a few booths which take plastic, but most don't.
As there's only 2 ATMs (1 might be in the area that's being rebuilt) at the fair, bring that cash in advance or wait for a long time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preorder/prepay what you can. It helps, because most publishers don't accept debit/credit cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siraggi wrote:
Hello!

Don't leave home without it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
Preorder/prepay what you can. It helps, because most publishers don't accept debit/credit cards.

Unfortunately, even a fair share of pre-orders have to be paid cash at Spiel. I've done four and none of them asked for pre-payment. I understand it makes their admin a lot easier, but it also means I have to bring a fairly large sum in cash just to pay for my pre-orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, bring cash.

And make it easy on the little guys and don't only bring 50/100 bills. I believe the ATM at the fair spits out 20s, but I'm not sure, I always brought cash with me and stuck to that budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Kurek
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ppaddo wrote:
Yup, bring cash.

And make it easy on the little guys and don't only bring 50/100 bills. I believe the ATM at the fair spits out 20s, but I'm not sure, I always brought cash with me and stuck to that budget.

Very good advice! I always think about it but forget to change my cash in small bills before the fair. I have to remember that this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ysirian wrote:
ppaddo wrote:
Yup, bring cash.

Very good advice! I always think about it but forget to change my cash in small bills before the fair. I have to remember that this year.

With the rise in game prices over the last couple of years, 50 euro might well become the "small bill"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you need cash. Also, make sure you have the amount you need with you before you arrive, because the line at the ATM is so horrendous that when I saw it last year, I walked back inside immediately and finished the rest of the day with the money I had with me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the line is really bad, it might even be quicker to hop over to the Rüttenscheider Strasse and get cash there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anonymousmagic wrote:
Yep, you need cash. Also, make sure you have the amount you need with you before you arrive,

Luckily the exact amount is perfectly calculable.

Take the amount you want / can afford to spend. Then double it. Note the absence of smileys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
anonymousmagic wrote:
Yep, you need cash. Also, make sure you have the amount you need with you before you arrive,

Take the amount you want / can afford to spend. Then double it. Note the absence of smileys.

You forgot to mention the 25% safety margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
ysirian wrote:
ppaddo wrote:
Yup, bring cash.

With the rise in game prices over the last couple of years, 50 euro might well become the "small bill"

Not wrong, but every exhibitor except for the really big ones will be happy to see a couple of 5€ bills. And those who did not work with 5€ steps even like coins here and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
anonymousmagic wrote:

And the really funny thing is that first-timers think we're kidding shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Lorthania wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
anonymousmagic wrote:

And the really funny thing is that first-timers think we're kidding shake

I think it's more about self-control. I never spent twice my budget and stayed a lot under it last year (But yes, 50 € over budget also happened in the past).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:

I think it's more about self-control.

It's a rare kid who has self-control in a candy store

3 signs gamers don't have it :

1) "I bought waaaay too much" is the standard answer to the "what did you buy" question.
2) The line at the ATM
3) the number of people you see carrying half their weight in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Locu wrote:

I think it's more about self-control.

It's a rare kid who has self-control in a candy store

3 signs gamers don't have it :

1) "I bought waaaay too much" is the standard answer to the "what did you buy" question.
2) The line at the ATM
3) the number of people you see carrying half their weight in games.

Sure I am a little overweight, but I'm not THAT FAT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A tangentially related tip: Bring pen and paper. Most vendors usually don't give receipts. Write down your purchases directly after you've made them. This helps you keep track of how much you've spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soulbender wrote:
A tangentially related tip: Bring pen and paper. Most vendors usually don't give receipts. Write down your purchases directly after you've made them. This helps you keep track of how much you've spent.

Think about it. Do you really, really want to go down that path ? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Leuthold
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soulbender wrote:

My wallet will do this job for me. If it's empty, i should stop buying games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
Rumblejack wrote:
soulbender wrote:

My wallet will do this job for me. If it's empty, i should stop buying games...

There are ATMs around ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I experience Essen in 2013, and was really disappointed that most vendors won't accept credit card or other EFTPOS facilities. Cash is King, the sad thing was that even on the normal stores was similar experience. Here in Australia I go to Aldi, and no worries you pay Visa or Mastercard, no dramas. Over there, I think only the MacDonalds, was accepting cards. At feel like going back in time, as I don't usually carry cash just small amounts and change. So be prepare to trade wood for sheep over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Credit cards are fairly widely accepted in general, but at Spiel, the cost for having dedicated CC facilities is probably too high to make it worthwhile for just those four days. It's not ideal to be walking around with a large amount of cash in your pocket, just think it's all for the greater good .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

Over there, I think only the MacDonalds, was accepting cards.

All stores accept cards - only not your CC cards - we've been using debit cards since the mid eighties.

Complaining about this is like me going to Australia totally unprepared and then complaining I can't get cell phone coverage in the outback. When you travel halfway around the world it pays to do your homework.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.