Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Why 100 minions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that almost everyone and their families in BGG love some good minis. More, better. But in the case of MvM, the minis count to 100! I am curious, why is that?

1) to make the game more attractive to potential buyers?
But then, halving them to 50 minions per box and lower the cost (say, to $50) might be more appealing. Not to mention by halving the number of minis per box might turn those 15.000 pcs in October into 20.000 and another 20.000 in December.

2) because the game needs 100 minions (in some scenarios/later stage of the game)!
If that so, will these scenarios/stages feel smooth or clogged with minis? I have asked Rodney in his youtube video's comments about the time and he said between 60-90 minutes per scenario, some shorter, some longer.

Any thoughts or information, or maybe this is spoiling later scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxfield Stewart
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
I know that almost everyone and their families in BGG love some good minis. More, better. But in the case of MvM, the minis count to 100! I am curious, why is that?

1) to make the game more attractive to potential buyers?
But then, halving them to 50 minions per box and lower the cost (say, to $50) might be more appealing. Not to mention by halving the number of minis per box might turn those 15.000 pcs in October into 20.000 and another 20.000 in December.

2) because the game needs 100 minions (in some scenarios/later stage of the game)!
If that so, will these scenarios/stages feel smooth or clogged with minis? I have asked Rodney in his youtube video's comments about the time and he said between 60-90 minutes per scenario, some shorter, some longer.

Any thoughts or information, or maybe this is spoiling later scenarios?

Spoiler free response, having played the game. There are times where you will be completely surrounded thinking you can't win. Those times might involve a LOT of minions on the board, or just one where you can't quite get to it with the contraption you've built.

100 Minions "felt" to me (I just helped playtest fyi, not the designer) like it was enough to cover all cases where you might need them. It would feel really bad to run out in a tough game so I appreciate there's sufficient to handle those "really bad moments".

It is not hard at all to end up with 30-60 of them out after a few rounds, depending on the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vestas wrote:

Spoiler free response, having played the game. There are times where you will be completely surrounded thinking you can't win. Those times might involve a LOT of minions on the board, or just one where you can't quite get to it with the contraption you've built.

100 Minions "felt" to me (I just helped playtest fyi, not the designer) like it was enough to cover all cases where you might need them. It would feel really bad to run out in a tough game so I appreciate there's sufficient to handle those "really bad moments".

It is not hard at all to end up with 30-60 of them out after a few rounds, depending on the scenario.

Thanks!

So, do you find the high number of minions on board affecting the duration of the gameplay? Or does the game has mechanics to mitigate it somehow, so the game still runs smooth, not turning into a slog?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched the video of Rahdo Runthrought. In the scenario he played, it had 18 minions on the board after setup. He killed 1 and added 6 minions on the first turn. Pretty sure the board will got crowded real fast. So I think they included enough mini to cover any situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people see 100 minions and ask, "Why?" I look at 100 minions and ask, "Why not?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran out and bought an additional base games of both Super Dungeon Explore and Zombicide just for the additional mobs.

Why?

As previously mentioned...

Why not. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxfield Stewart
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:

Thanks!

So, do you find the high number of minions on board affecting the duration of the gameplay? Or does the game has mechanics to mitigate it somehow, so the game still runs smooth, not turning into a slog?

Me personally, I agree with some of the reviews where they talk about that moment when your "program" just comes together and you wade through a horde of minions, clearing them from the board as your flamespitter goes off then a bit of chain reaction wipes out more. The minions are easy to pick up, fun to count, then slide up the kill track counter as your team realizes you've unlocked the next special for someone to use.

It feels good, and powerful. As the game goes on, you get more powerful adn can do more and that helps deal with having to add more and more minions to the board. In between rounds you might end up having to add 10-20 minions in the tougher parts, that I'll admit is a bit fiddly but it goes quick.

Most scenarios have "rules" for spawning in new minions and to me it carried the same feel and weight as that moment in Pandemic when you have to add more cubes to the board and you realize after you're done that you just might be screwed.

Then you draw more cards and someone on your team gets a great combo and the pendulum swings again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check Rahdo runthrough, the scenario spawn 12 minions per turn and they kill about 3-4 per turn. Once you grab a crystal, 18 minions spawn. I am pretty sure 100 minions is not too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because 101 minions wouldn't fit in the trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of wish they were actual minions

Or maybe they should be these guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
easye1982 wrote:
I ran out and bought an additional base games of both Super Dungeon Explore and Zombicide just for the additional mobs.

Why?

Why not. Lol
The difference here is that they're all identical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter C
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Because 101 1000 minions wouldn't fit in the trays.
Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No they aren't, there are four different models. Or do you mean they just all function the same? In the base scenario that appears to be the case, perhaps later on they act different. Also a mini expansion of some cards would easily make each model type act unique. And last resort, house rules, I'm never apposed to that. :-)

timpkmn89 wrote:
easye1982 wrote:

Why?

Why not. Lol
The difference here is that they're all identical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
If you check Rahdo runthrough, the scenario spawn 12 minions per turn and they kill about 3-4 per turn. Once you grab a crystal, 18 minions spawn. I am pretty sure 100 minions is not too many.

This. From other previews of the game this appears to be a Zerg rush style of game. The problem is quantity, not quality, of enemies coming at you. If you don't know what a Zerg rush is Google it and have some fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a few replies on other threads wondering why so many minion minis. Are they needed? My previous answer was not very long because I didn't know anything about the game. But now after watching the videos and seeing the rulebook...

Do the math guys. There are 5 game boards. Looking at the pics, they are 6x6 grids. So 36x5=180 spaces. Some spaces are oil slicks so minions won't be on those and they won't share player spaces. Assuming all boards can be used in a scenario, even just 4 of them, there is definitely 100+ spaces for minions to be located. It looks like they spawn faster than you get rid of in most cases.

Watching the demos it looks like it is easy to get rid of minions in your immediate vicinity, but not so much for range. So the boards could fill up quickly. Look at the minion kill count tracker. Your team needs to kill 85 minions to get to Overdrive. So I would expect a ton of minions to come out to be able to get to that.

So yeah, 100 is probably needed to cover the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
I kind of wish they were actual minions

My son, in all earnestness, asked me if these were the minions I had mentioned came with the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.