$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Which theme should I use? or Which theme will be relevant in 6-12 months? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pedersen
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which theme should I use for a city/village/colony building game with player interaction?
Vikings
Sci-fi
Medieval
      42 answers
Poll created by mped68

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the game already been designed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, try again. I would say, go ahead and pick anything else. If your game so far doesn't depend on the theme, don't let it blend in with the rest of the crowd, try something new. For instance, I just learned that the island of Malta has megaliths dating back to 4000 BC. Why not set it there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it about undead vikings.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much rather have sci-fi Vikings. Is that a thing yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Bokrug wrote:
Nope, try again. I would say, go ahead and pick anything else. If your game so far doesn't depend on the theme, don't let it blend in with the rest of the crowd, try something new.

I haven't seen many underwater/deep sea colonization games. Could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:
Bokrug wrote:
Nope, try again. I would say, go ahead and pick anything else. If your game so far doesn't depend on the theme, don't let it blend in with the rest of the crowd, try something new.

I haven't seen many underwater/deep sea colonization games. Could be interesting.

Atlantis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
Nope, try again. I would say, go ahead and pick anything else. If your game so far doesn't depend on the theme, don't let it blend in with the rest of the crowd, try something new. For instance, I just learned that the island of Malta has megaliths dating back to 4000 BC. Why not set it there?

Good idea.

Also, Plymouth Plantation. Maybe you could launch it in time for Thanksgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthills or wasp hives. Or competing businesses in a small town.

Edit: Or cooperations or research groups setting up research stations at a remote location (think "lunar bases", but as research stations in Antarctica, drilling platforms in the North Sea, or shale gas rigs in
Alaska).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my crystal ball, in 6-12 months cute little ponies with pink bowties will be all the hype!

Aside from that, did you know that you can cross sci-fi with medieval?
It is called "science fantasy" ..
Throw in some vikings and you've got something wickedly cool and unique!

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie wizard cyborg viking cultists on mars. You are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
My inside sources are telling me that next prominent theme for the upcoming year will be...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
SUPERHEROES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
What kind of Sci-fi?
Alien encounters?
Space-age exploration?
Still on an Earth-like planet, but with futuristic technology?
Steampunk? (Earth-like planet in the past or near-present, with alternative technology. Some might disagree with me that this falls under the great big "Sci-fi" banner)

What kind of medieval are we talking?
Defend your castle?
Knights/Princesses?
Fantasy?
Feudal Japan?
Black Plague?
Crusades?

"Sci-fi" and Medieval are both very vague, and Vikings kind of already are (early) medieval, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
All of the above? Sci-fi, laser-axe-wielding vikings sailing through space, raiding future-medieval space station "castles" and "keeps" defended by chrome-suited knights riding terrifying mechadragons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I'm actually working on the wip game called 'Dragons & Tanks'

In short, WW II setting. Seeing that they will lose the war Nazis turned to occult, tried to open a portal to fantasy world and summon dragons, they succeed but dragons turned to be interested only in scorching the whole Earth, cleansing it from humans, so now ally and axis forces had to make a size fire, and only thing that is effective against scale-armored dragons are metal beasts of different kind - tanks!

Co-op game, map based crawler where you manage your tank crews and tanks to destroy dragon nests...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I'm actually working on the wip game called 'Dragons & Tanks'

In short, WW II setting. Seeing that they will lose the war Nazis turned to occult, tried to open a portal to fantasy world and summon dragons, they succeed but dragons turned to be interested only in scorching the whole Earth, cleansing it from humans, so now ally and axis forces had to make a size fire, and only thing that is effective against scale-armored dragons are metal beasts of different kind - tanks!

Co-op game, map based crawler where you manage your tank crews and tanks to destroy dragon nests...

There was a game with a lot of ads on BGG sometime in the last year with the tagline "want to see a dragon fight a spitfire?!" I can't recall what game it was, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pedersen
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, I do have some hesitations with sci fi because it may seem like Among the Stars in style but different mechanics. Atlantis does sound like a pretty cool idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you've already designed the game and are looking for a theme, then I would need a lot more information about the mechanics to think of which theme would best mesh with the existing mechanics. Otherwise, the theme will just be pasted on, in which case you just want to choose which theme can be best marketed and hyped - Fallout-like post-apocalype or alternative timelines seem good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More games need to be about Canadians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zzz. None of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pedersen
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Fallout-like post-apocalype

This sounds awesome! I have general mechanics I'm thinking about putting in place, but I can't just paste any theme on it, it has to make sense to me. I feel like I designed in my head with the intention of medieval but I could do any sort of colony/village style theme instead. I want to get the theme before I develop all the card ideas and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I'd much rather have sci-fi Vikings. Is that a thing yet?

Yes.
https://videogamegeek.com/videogame/77243/too-human

It wasn't a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mped68 wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Fallout-like post-apocalype

This sounds awesome! I have general mechanics I'm thinking about putting in place, but I can't just paste any theme on it, it has to make sense to me. I feel like I designed in my head with the intention of medieval but I could do any sort of colony/village style theme instead. I want to get the theme before I develop all the card ideas and such.

Mad Max would be a rich theme to rip off from, like a prequel to the movies, showing how Bartertown or Gastown were created out of the Wasteland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sci-fi is always relevant because there are so many types of Sci-fi. Vikings may be a passing fad but it may turn out to be mainstream like what has happened with zombies. There also is usually a market for medieval games also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:
Mad Max would be a rich theme to rip off from...

Or Waterworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.