Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this game holding up? Is it still a good game or are there better games that have evolved and been released since this game came out? Would you get it again if you didn't already own it and it was available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got bored of it after a few plays. Lots of design energy devoted to making you chase your tail, and not really a lot of strategic flexibility. Unless you love the theme I think there are better choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Please say yes lol I'm maybe going to finish painting mine this year
Then I can play it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

stephenhope wrote:
Unless you love the theme I think there are better choices.

Probably true. Then again, if you do love the theme, it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody have any specific games in mind when talking about better choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ze_German_Guy wrote:

If the theme isn't to your liking, there's no specific awesomeness to be found in the game mechanisms, so take your pick. If the theme is to your liking, the lack of awesomeness won't bother you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit for me, the theme isn't all that great (I've never liked WH40k all that much). But while there's nothing super "oomphy" about the game, I still like it, though I admit I haven't played it a ton so I probably haven't exhausted the general strategies.

I do see how it could get stale, though, as the objectives don't change, and much of the fighting is going to be the same. There is a LITTLE variety with the setup and with cards drawn, though.

I think based on the games I have played, some games that may have more longevity that have similar "feels" (not necessarily mechanically, but in the asymmetrical battle/strategy games) may be War of the Ring or Star Wars: Rebellion. Neither will give you the same experience, but I think they maybe "close enough" if it's the general itch you are looking to scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Ze_German_Guy wrote:

If the theme isn't to your liking, there's no specific awesomeness to be found in the game mechanisms, so take your pick. If the theme is to your liking, the lack of awesomeness won't bother you.
I like the theme, but in general value game mechanisms above theme.

Especially the initiative track and the way cards can be played either directly from the hand or via the strategic map are things I'd like to see if they have been implemented or even improved in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme and the game, but this is only for 2 so I'd suggest Forbidden Stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjolmir wrote:
I love the theme and the game, but this is only for 2 so I'd suggest Forbidden Stars

My window of opportunity for picking up Horus Heresy (2010) has closed, at least from my FLGS. Luckily for me though, my copy of Forbidden Stars arrived today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Forbidden Stars is great, I think you missed out on Horus Heresy, especially if you enjoy 40k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I was thinking that I should play this again. It's a huge slog of a game!

I do like the order cards mechanic and the initiative system. I would like to see something similar done again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.