Subject: Original or Legacy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to franchise and I want to know if I should jump on board with this game or the legacy red board addition which I heard was awesome. What are your thoughts?
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy:
You can guarantee playing with the same group for an extended period (months)
You are happy to "destroy" a game in the process of playing
You only intend to play this a limited number of times (12 - win every game to 24 - lose every game )

Original:
You like to keep your games pristine
You want the potential of unlimited replay-ability
You don't have a stable group
You are not certain you or your group will like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the original, and after a few plays, maybe add an expansion. The Legacy version is awesome. I played it with two other experienced Pandemic players. I think it made the experience much more enjoyable since they were familiar with the nuances of the base game.

I recommend Legacy after you feel you have a good, committed group to play who feel familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play standard out of the legacy box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id' recommend buying the original first. Play it a few times.. if you like it, then get Legacy. Once you beat Legacy(you can only play it through once) you'll still have original Pandemic to continue playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Legacy:
You only intend to play this a limited number of times (12 - win every game to 24 - lose every game )

I really don't understand this complaint. After you're done with Legacy, you have a customized, playable copy of Pandemic. Or, you could play with regular Pandemic rules right out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
Legacy:

I really don't understand this complaint. After you're done with Legacy, you have a customized, playable copy of Pandemic. Or, you could play with regular Pandemic rules right out of the box.

I don't intend it as a complaint. I was just pointing out that Legacy evolves over time. Once you reach the final play, it ceases to evolve. I haven't got there yet so cannot speak to the replayability or otherwise of the game in its final state. But I am sure it is not the same game you started with. It does remain a factor in the decision making process.

The fact that you can play standard Pandemic out of the box is valid. And I should have mentioned it. But once you play Legacy once, you lose that ability and would have to buy another game to get it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both, duh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
Legacy:

You really don't. Not unless you're willing to do a lot of house ruling about how different things have to work in order to make a regular Pandemic game work on a board that is no longer even remotely suitable for it. (Or you just don't care about balance at all)

As for the original question:

I'd say try the regular game first, unless the legacy version really, really calls to you (and you have a regular group to play it with). If you do get the legacy game first, be sure to play the basic rules on the board at least 2-3 times before you start the Legacy campaign so that you can get familiar with how the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your help! I bought the original last night and my wife and I played until midnight! We really like the game and I'm sure we will continue to play more. So now my question is: what expansion should we get next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best order is
Pandemic: On the Brink
Pandemic: State of Emergency
Pandemic: In the Lab
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:
dcclark wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
Legacy:

You really don't. Not unless you're willing to do a lot of house ruling about how different things have to work in order to make a regular Pandemic game work on a board that is no longer even remotely suitable for it. (Or you just don't care about balance at all)

I think you are misunderstanding. You can play regular Pandemic on a legacy board as many times as you want so long as you don't start opening/using the Legacy components. Once you do start using them, when you are done, you have a customized Pandemic game that you can continue to play using the rules as they exist in your final month of the Legacy campaign. In no case do you have an unusable or unbalanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is oddly my purchase order for the pandemic expansions, Sarah . But yeah, If you rather have more modularity, then get it in Sarah's order. The lab doesn't really add much outside of new roles, events, the Lab Module, and team modes, as well as a couple of add ons for On the Brink. And the lab just completely overhauls 1 action into a subset of actions to take to find a cure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
grendelsbayne wrote:
dcclark wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
Legacy:

I think you are misunderstanding. You can play regular Pandemic on a legacy board as many times as you want so long as you don't start opening/using the Legacy components. Once you do start using them, when you are done, you have a customized Pandemic game that you can continue to play using the rules as they exist in your final month of the Legacy campaign. In no case do you have an unusable or unbalanced game.

The rules that existed in the final month of the campaign were the end phase of 1 long game stretched out over a dozen plus sessions. And they still included changing the board as you went. There is no balanced game to keep playing indefinitely there, especially because two of the most significant elements being added to the board at that point basically cancel each other out.

I won't go any further into it so as not to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't played, but the end state of my game was basically unplayable. Maybe your campaign had better luck (or probably worse luck, now that I think about it), but that will not be the case for everyone (and honestly, I seriously doubt even your copy would remain perfectly playable if you kept playing the last month over and over, continuously adjusting the board as you go).

In any case, the experience of P. Legacy overall was quite fun and enjoyable, but the last month was easily one of the least enjoyable parts. It wouldn't really be worth playing again for me, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
lochmoigh wrote:

For those who are anal about this sort of thing: although you can play regular Pandemic on the Pandemic Legacy board, note that the Pandemic Legacy board is slightly different from Pandemic: I believe two or three city connections are different. Also, some of the roles and events are different.

Also, the Legacy board is fairly large; the regular Pandemic board eats up less tabletop space.

CommanderMcG wrote:
Thanks for all your help! I bought the original last night and my wife and I played until midnight! We really like the game and I'm sure we will continue to play more. So now my question is: what expansion should we get next?

I ended up getting all the expansions, though I never played any of the variants other than the Lab Challenge, which is a very different game, though very fun in its own way.

The main reason I got the expansions is that each one contributes additional roles and additional events. Whenever I play, I always pick the roles randomly, so having a larger pool of roles and events guarantees the game stays extremely fresh.

Also, I like the neat components that come in at least first couple of expansions. One expansion gives you cool petri dishes. Another one gives you cool disease vials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faucelme wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:

For those who are anal about this sort of thing: although you can play regular Pandemic on the Pandemic Legacy board, note that the Pandemic Legacy board is slightly different from Pandemic: I believe two or three city connections are different. Also, some of the roles and events are different.

Also, the Legacy board is fairly large; the regular Pandemic board eats up less tabletop space.

True, but it alleviates having to buy a copy of the original if all you are going to play is the legacy style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
lochmoigh wrote:
True, but it alleviates having to buy a copy of the original if all you are going to play is the legacy style.

Agreed. Buying just the Legacy version can save you money.

At least until they come out with Season Two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't touched my original copy of Pandemic since I got Legacy... I respect it for what it was and what it did for the industry, but I just have no interest in going back. I think it is a waste of money at this point in time. You CAN and SHOULD play a few games of regular-rules Pandemic (get a PDF or watch an instructional video or something) with the Legacy game contents before using the Legacy stuff. Make sure you got all the rules down and know how to play, and then crack the deck and get started with your legacy!

Edit: should have read more of the thread, I see the [incorrect] decision has already been made. Enjoy the game! It's still a great game, but Legacy is waiting for your next paycheck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whoops a bit late to the conversation, but I'll chip in my 2 cents anyways:

I think you should get legacy, actually. My group and I started with pandemic legacy, and are loving it. I'm not really sure why so many people recommend you start with the normal pandemic before going into legacy, but the rules weren't that hard to grasp, and we're chugging along well (at least in terms of keeping up with rules changes)!

After the campaign, i'm gonna scour the internet for variant formats to keep our game playable instead of getting the vanilla pandemic.

The thing is, not a single one of my other games have had more than the 8 or 9 playthroughs that legacy has, and that includes some all time classics. After every game of legacy, we reflect about whats going on, laugh about how the red fred syndrome is going nuts, and so on.

Maybe its that our group is a story-game sort of group, and we enjoy stuff like that. Maybe it's 'cuz we got minis for our characters, so it looks and feels a bit more immersive than normal. Perhaps it's 'cuz our game group's house rule is that we play as our characters (as in the medic wants to go in and heal people, so thats what he does, even though strategically, there might be more pressing matters at hand), and we try our hardest to limit the alpha-gamer syndrome.

Either way, I suppose you can't go too wrong, but I'd echo the sentiments of some of the other peeps here who'd recommend trying legacy too. Its pretty fun (so far for us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schweinefett wrote:

The thing is, not a single one of my other games have had more than the 8 or 9 playthroughs that legacy has,

This statement caught my attention more that the rest of your post. I also played Legacy face to face more* than all other games I have a copy of. (*I've played Russian/German Railroads the same number of times.) But Legacy is not in my top 10 favorites list. So I had to ask why have I played it so much? I came to the conclusion that it's because the "Game" is 12-24 sessions long to complete, whereas all the other games I own are only 1 game session long to complete. So even though Legacy will continue to get another 6-8 plays from me this year and maybe get into my top 10 # of plays, it still likely won't win a spot in my top 10 or even my top 25 favorite games. Obviously I enjoy Legacy, but I'm leaning towards the opinion that the # of plays of Legacy does not weigh the same as # of plays of non-legacy type games when it comes to favorite/most enjoyable games. This has kind of been reinforced by my son who is one of my playing partners for Legacy who has implied that he wants to play a few other games when we get together instead of pushing to finish Legacy first. (He and his fiancee are the ones who encouraged me to buy Legacy so they were more gung ho than I to start with.)

Not sure what the point of my post is other that to say Legacy is a fun game, and one of the better co-ops, but I think too much can be read into the # of plays that players post compared to other games. I think a better comparision will be made after 10 years when you've possibly stopped playing Legacy but still play say El Grande/Brass/Le Harve a couple times a year and have 30 lifetime plays, not just 20ish like Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
I think a better comparision will be made after 10 years when you've possibly stopped playing Legacy but still play say El Grande/Brass/Le Havre a couple times a year and have 30 lifetime plays, not just 20ish like Legacy.

I don't own any legacy-style games, nor have I played any, so take my opinion with that particular grain of salt...

This is my feeling exactly when I think about legacy games, and while they sound interesting, and are definitely taking the hobby in new directions, I have no interest in purchasing them. Ultimately, they would have to pass my Agricola-test: Agricola was one of the first games I purchased after buying and playing everything Catan multiple times back in 2008 (third overall I believe, if you don't count expansions: Catan, TtR: Marklin, Agricola), so my opinion of the game likely has a good dose of nostalgia mixed in with it, but in short, it is my favourite game.

Every time I get a new game, there is a part of me that considers how it will compare to Agricola. But more importantly, before I purchase a new game, I think about how often I'll play it. While I didn't get Agricola to the table that often in the first year after I purchased it, I still got a solid 8 to 10 plays out of it. However, since then, I've played it 6 to 8 times each year since, so I'm likely around 60 plays overall, and still enjoy it every time.

So will a new game give me the same satisfaction, play after play? While I may not play it that frequently, will I still want to play it consistently a few years down the road? Inevitably, in my mind, legacy-style games never pass the test as the experience is limited by design, and from what I have read, once the campaign is finished, the final version of the game is either not very playable, or not that interesting. Or at least, not as interesting to me as Agricola continues to be, so why would I take time away to play not-Agricola?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.