Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Anyone want to try selling me on it? Don't like co-ops, RPGs or high randomness. Do think the unique attack styles for each monster is cool, the skill trees and the weapon system looks interesting. Bonus, the aesthetic is totally my thing (why are all boutique games creepy-awesome?!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Don't like co-ops, RPGs or high randomness.

KDM is basically a highly random co-op RPG with an automated DM. I don't think the theme and a couple of mechanisms you find interesting will be enough for you. Considering the price, definitely try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Try watching some youtube videos on KD:M. There are several that go into lengthy discussions about the game, there are plenty where the game is unboxed, and there are more than a few running campaigns that have weekly shows where you can watch the action.

This game is like Dark Souls. You'll either love it or hate it, there is very little in-between. If you are still unsure, try and find someone who has the game and play with them. Which can admittedly be difficult, but not completely impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
kostool13 wrote:
C3Gaming wrote:
Don't like co-ops, RPGs or high randomness.

KDM is basically a highly random co-op RPG with an automated DM. I don't think the theme and a couple of mechanisms you find interesting will be enough for you. Considering the price, definitely try before you buy.

I'd agree with this. You should probably pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Anyone want to try selling me on it? Don't like co-ops, RPGs or high randomness. Do think the unique attack styles for each monster is cool, the skill trees and the weapon system looks interesting. Bonus, the aesthetic is totally my thing (why are all boutique games creepy-awesome?!).

No. That's like trying to make yourself love lobster just because you think it's a nice image. Why would you try to acquire an expensive taste? You don't like the major aspects of it and it's really expensive. Move along to a different game.

That being said, if you like mini assembly and painting and clearly like the aesthetic and have money to spare, just pick up the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
C3Gaming wrote:

For other games, I would say, "go for it." But, this game is very expensive and very time consuming. In fact, this is the most expensive "board game (I use that word loosely)" I've seen and bought. You better damn well know you like it or you like this sort of game. I'm thinking of making a guide (not a review. there's other people who already did that really well) in the review section (for people like you) to gauge if you should buy this game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your opening statements... I say pass

Stick to Euros that have no randomness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
C3Gaming wrote:

I'd say go for it, here's why:

- I don't like co-op games, which is why I only play KD solo and prefer it
this way. I think if it as reading an engrossing book, why would I want
to read that with someone?

- I'm not a fan of the randomness either, but there'll be many
opportunities to steer yourself away from a bad outcome or offset it.
Ultimately, this is an exceptionally difficult game and does require
significant skill and mastery to emerge victorious. After 7 months of
playing, I've never come out of a campaign victorious.

- Not liking RPGs is the only problem I foresee. However, even after the
reprint, the demand for KD should be quite high, so if it's not your
thing, it shouldn't prove difficult to sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
There are a crap load of playthroughs on youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
C3Gaming wrote:

No, it's foundation is RPGs, Co-Op and MASSSIVE amount of randomness swing. As in bad roll will make you simply lose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure a lot of people calls this a "RPG". Actually, you give your character a name, you level it up to a degree, you equip it. It's as much a RPG as it is a FPS (you get better weapons, you are rewarded for hitting the enemy right, placement is key).

There is no roleplay (this leaves the G in RPG).

If you want to try kdm, you want to know and appreciate the positives:
- game mechanic is intriguing
- game is difficult and punishing: any success is earned by grasping the core concepts
- there is a lot of variety, and the campaign setting saves you from just playing a list of scenarios, that IMHO is the weakest point of this kind of games
- this is the best AI mechanic I ever saw (it actually works well, that is to say a lot).

This said, remember that:
- high randomness with destructive consequences (of the worst kind: 1s is always fail and you cannot usually add modifiers to important rolls)
- it's expensive and the hobby (Bobbie?) is oo integral to the experience
- you lose often; if you miss the big picture it can get very frustrating.

What would I do if I were you? Check YouTube, read a good session report of two (The guy from ctrl alt del did very good ones, those reports sold me the game). Have a clear idea of what you are buying, then eventually buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great Bobbie to get into, in my opinion. KD offers an engrossing and very interesting lore, very imaginative and provocative artwork, hilarious and downright genius consequences in regards to storyline gameplay AND amazing miniatures (that are fucking hard to assemble).

Think of all the games you've so far played as a normal cigarette you smoke everyday out in the rain. Now think of KD as that expensive cuban cigar (probably fake one, though) you would sit down to smoke near a warm hearth with your silky smooth velvet, sipping a glass of bourbon. On the rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Anyone want to try selling me on it? Don't like co-ops, RPGs or high randomness.

What would be useful would be if you explain WHY you don't like co-ops or RPGs. As has been said above, this is not a normal RPG, so your reasons for disliking the, may or may not apply. Similarly, it can be played solo, so your reasons for disliking coops may not apply if you solo it (or even if you don't).

More detail from you will lead to better answers from us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pure coop nature (unless you want to go solo) and the randomness of the whole universe that surrounds a campaign are too big an obstacle to overcome, especially when we are talking about a several hundred $ expenditure.

Even though it's my favourite game of all time, I wouldn't try to sell it to you.

Just let me add that the coop side of the game makes it genuinely interesting in the sense that you have to negotiate a lot of collective decisions (not only combat-related), although you can (not recommended for survival XD) play some sort of individuallistic "we split all resources and go our way" style. The game is full of epic and dramatic moments which provide 2x the enjoyment when shared.

As far as the randomness is concerned, I try to consider it as pure probability, in the sense that sometimes (not always) there are things you can do to try to put the odds to your favour. You can play this game mindlessly -a dice fest leading to inminent death- or you can also profit from a plethora of obvious and more subtle strategies and tactics which will definitely help to survive longer. But inevitably random events will affect you, more often than not in a bad way.

edit: typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What guys before me wrote is all reasonable, but to stir things up, I have to say that Kingdom Death proved to be a game that was very much enjoyed by people with which I've played who don't quite like that kind of games, or board games at all. The randomness is huge and brutal, but the theme is so strong in this game, that it all makes sense by creating convincing stories about people lost in unfriendly, dark environment and thrown around by swings of fate.
On the other hand, my better half, who is not into board games (she likes Mansions of Madness, Mysterium and that's it) was very drawn by the theme, looks and mood, but she didn't enjoy the gameplay as "repetitive" and doesn't want to play the game with us anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Shu1984 wrote:
The pure coop nature (unless you want to go solo) and the randomness of the whole universe that surrounds a campaign are too big an obstacle to overcome, especially when we are talking about a several hundred $ expenditure.

Even though it's my favourite game of all time, I wouldn't try to sell it to you.

Just let me add that the coop side of the game makes it genuinely interesting in the sense that you have to negotiate a lot of collective decisions (not only combat-related), although you can (not recommended for survival XD) play some sort of individuallistic "we split all resources and go our way" style. The game is full of epic and dramatic moments which provide 2x the enjoyment when shared.

As far as the randomness is concerned, I try to consider it as pure probability, in the sense that sometimes (not always) there are things you can do to try to put the odds to your favour. You can play this game mindlessly -a dice fest leading to inminent death- or you can also profit from a plethora of obvious and more subtle strategies and tactics which will definitely help to survive longer. But inevitably random events will affect you, more often than not in a bad way.

edit: typos.

That randomness is pretty overrated, anyways. Yes, in the beginning everything will seem like a punishment round. Then you actually learn how to avoid the clearly seen pitfalls and the randomness recedes to the background. Yes there will be events that obliterate you, but those are far less common than events that just hurt you a little bit here and there.

Again, go watch gameplay videos on youtube. Preferably ones that actually use the physical board, as I despise watching the game being played on that crap-looking computer simulation. If the actual gameplay doesn't sell you, then don't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Migdolas wrote:
Think of all the games you've so far played as a normal cigarette you smoke everyday out in the rain. Now think of KD as that expensive cuban cigar (probably fake one, though) you would sit down to smoke near a warm hearth with your silky smooth velvet, sipping a glass of bourbon. On the rocks.

It'd be more like a cigar a clown would give you that explodes in your face when you smoke it.

To the OP - as others have said, it's only really an RPG in the same way that you might describe the Diablo computer games as an RPG. You have a character, you can get gear for them and they improve over time (or perhaps more likely fall apart over time) but other than that there's no real RPG elements involved.

But it is definitely a co-op and it's really random. I'm talking more random than 80s and 90s Games Workshop random. That's not necessarily a bad thing but if you really don't like randomness in games then it's going to really piss you off in this game.

Given that, I don't think the cool mechanics like the monster AI and the gear and levelling stuff is enough to warrant you spending so much money on this unless you're into the hobby aspect bit of it - building the models and painting them. The beasties are disgusting but there's nothing else quite like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.