Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Update #74: Mercenary Player Character Render rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damo Damo
msg tools
Original post here

Quote:
Hello Unkindled,

We took your feedback on board from last week, and all information will always come through here to you. We'll still be putting images up elsewhere, but you can rest assured that they will always come through Kickstarter as well.

So without further ado, the Mercenary PC Render:


(These images are Work in Progress)

Praise the Sun \[T]/

If you'd like to see the video in which these images feature you can do so here.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mercenary is far better than the pyromancer's model thank god.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to troll here, genuine question, but is the Dark Souls universe this generic?

Sword & Sorcery is a generic fantasy game that I backed as well (mostly because it's based on Galaxy Defenders game engine) yet the models are much more flamboyant, interesting and unique.

I don't get it. Albeit, the pyromancer was even worse than this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Dark Souls universe is very very far from generic.

However, a lot of the armour/weapons in the game are heavily inspired by (and function similarly to) armour/weapons in real life.

There are some armour sets that are wicked cool, however, these mini's pretty much represent the starting "classes" from the games, so the armour sets are pretty basic in relation to what you can find later on.

Its kind of a difficult line to walk in terms of mini design. We've seen that with the, uh, "discussion" about the pyromancer render. The mini kinda represents how the pyro class starts out as, but in no way represents how the pyro looks or functions in the game as an actual pyro build.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I'm not trying to troll here, genuine question, but is the Dark Souls universe this generic?

Sword & Sorcery is a generic fantasy game that I backed as well (mostly because it's based on Galaxy Defenders game engine) yet the models are much more flamboyant, interesting and unique.

I don't get it. Albeit, the pyromancer was even worse than this.


Not a troll question at all. By comparison, Dark Souls may not have the flash and bang of other fantasy worlds, but that's fine. The sophistication present in the franchise more than makes up for it. A simple idea of a giant wolf clinching a sword in its teeth is far more interesting to me than some of the oddball creations other franchises come up with!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
I'm not trying to troll here, genuine question, but is the Dark Souls universe this generic?

Sword & Sorcery is a generic fantasy game that I backed as well (mostly because it's based on Galaxy Defenders game engine) yet the models are much more flamboyant, interesting and unique.

I don't get it. Albeit, the pyromancer was even worse than this.


Not a troll question at all. By comparison, Dark Souls may not have the flash and bang of other fantasy worlds, but that's fine. The sophistication present in the franchise more than makes up for it. A simple idea of a giant wolf clinching a sword in its teeth is far more interesting to me than some of the oddball creations other franchises come up with!


Well, a wolf with a sword in his teeth is much more interesting than these last 2 models they've presented us with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I'm not trying to troll here, genuine question, but is the Dark Souls universe this generic?

Sword & Sorcery is a generic fantasy game that I backed as well (mostly because it's based on Galaxy Defenders game engine) yet the models are much more flamboyant, interesting and unique.

I don't get it. Albeit, the pyromancer was even worse than this.


Yeah the Pyromancer was missing his key Pyromancey weapon and had a poor "He-man" pose. I hate it as well

These classes are what you begin the game with before you improve your character with advanced gear. I guess the armour expansion is how Steamforge plan to give us the fashion souls experience.

(Fashion Souls is a fan made name to describe getting pretty armours even at the expense of functional ones or even good stat distribution)

Though DS isn't known for being stylish, but its sophisticated gameplay and deep lore. And it's sort of done purposefully to give us realistic medieval armours and weapons even though it's fantasy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
One of the great things (to me) about Dark souls is that even the world is far from generic and rich with lore and all these great characters, the player character is just a nobody, one of many 'chosen undead' who regularly make the journey over to Firelink to attempt to fulfill the prophecy. So the starting characters are supposed to look generic because they are! Just another insignificant cog or pawn to be manipulated by the real players.

Where can I see this hated Pyromancer? I've looked through a bunch of updates but haven't spotted him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo Damo
msg tools
Unfortunately, I can only find the picture, not the render of the pyromancer. There's a larger picture from the campaign, but it doesn't show the pyromancer any clearer:


Compared to the new render:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a non-player of the video game, that Pyromancer's pose totally looks mage-y. I can absolutely see that pose being struck as fire engulfs a monster.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
As a non-player of the video game, that Pyromancer's pose totally looks mage-y. I can absolutely see that pose being struck as fire engulfs a monster.


Sure, but in Dark Souls, pyromancers toss fireballs like you would a molotov cocktail, so this doesn't really work. As for firestorms, they kneel and put their pyromancy flame close to their chests, so this doesn't work either.

I can't find anything relevant on youtube though ;/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
Ah I see, I think this pyromancer actually looks totally cool, as mentioned before it'd be great for any other game, but yeah it's so not a Dark souls pyromancer. I won't cry if I get this model though !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.