$30.00
$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Razor Soup
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
This game begs for a custom insert ... so here is mine. All expansions are included and it fits very nicely in the bottom of a suitcase! So without further ado, I will start with the unboxing:

Full disclosure: the box top does not quite close flush with the bottom. The contents are about 1/4" taller than the box ... but that's a small price to pay for such awesomeness!

First thing you see are the rule books, FAQ, errata, etc. stuffed on top. I could eliminate half of the 1/4" extra height by digitizing these. But I still love my paper. I guess that's why we play board games still!

Now for the good stuff. Removing the paperwork, you can see the top level of inserts/boxes. The only "messy" item is the baggie for the so-called miniatures (errrr ... kind-of cheap but at least painted plastic figures & castles). I could not find a way to mount them in the foam board within the available space. Besides, they are rather durable and I haven't had any issues just putting them in the ziplock bag and placing them in that storage space.

Removing the top level of stuff, now you see more boxes and some open space in the corner. Here is where I store the board hexes and the few odd-shaped items from the expansions. I measured all the boxes precisely so that the fit is perfect - nothing shuffles around.

So here are the entire contents of the box. On the left is the insta-ready-to-play card holder. In the back are the seven mage knights. The other two boxes in the middle are for parts storage (see further below). Also I'll add that I got rid of the two excessive boards - the day/night cycle and the fame/experience tracker. I replaced these with custom playing cards that track the same things but require much, much less real estate.

This is my card holder. Each section is angled for ease of access. I play straight out of the box. The artwork on the side are from random things I found online, then did a bit of photoshopping. They were printed on high quality matte presentation paper - looks very nice.

The mage knight boxes - just showing them off because I think they look cool. cool

Here's how I store everything in the mage knight boxes. These took a few tries to get the dimensions and everything correct - but I'm very pleased with the end result.

Some of the extras in the box. I LOVE using cards for drawing tiles - so much easier to manage and not worry about unintentionally "peeking" at the top tile.

And finally the two boxes of tokens and bits. The mana is in the small box. Since I almost always play solo, I don't need dozens of each color of mana (as you accumulate with all the expansions) - this has always been plenty. The monster/encounter tokens are sorted by type and the expansion tokens are separated for ease of access.

So there you go - my first major foam board project. I definitely got inspiration from others on BGG - thank you! It was fun to put together and now allows me to take Mage Knight wherever I wish and focus on saving the world instead of logistical red tape!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Handrejk
Germany
Scheeßel
Deutschland
flag msg tools
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!” ― Benjamin Franklin
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Awsome work!
can you give use a how to build information? Size, wich card boxes etc ?
That would be very nice
Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Indeed, very cool! Please share some more details, I'd like to take a look at your big card box without any Cards. And what about all those cool extra stuff? You designed it yourself? More Infos, more pictures!

And I really think a guy deserves to have an avatar after having build something like this, have some ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim burns
msg tools
Looks amazing! What are you using to replace the rep/fame tracker and day/night boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razor Soup
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the kind words! Here are more details:

Here is the card box empty. It is not obvious when taking pictures from above, but the dividers are angled uniformly at about 30 degrees. Makes for pretty easy card selection. The box size (all in inches, outer dimensions) is 9 3/8 x 3 1/16 x 3 13/16. All cards fit in there EXCEPT the terrain cards - I just couldn't squeeze them in comfortably and didn't want to create a bigger box as that would have thrown off the rest of the layouts.

The Hero boxes were the most difficult to get right. I tried four or five different arrangements of components before I settled on this as a very efficient storage design. The outer box (essentially a tuck box) measures 4 1/8 x 4 3/4 x 15/16. The insert measures 4 x 4 5/8 x 7/8. Essentially I tried to make the insert about 1/8" smaller than the tuck box dimensions.

Hero box without components. I very much prefer taking the extra effort of carving up the foam board and creating solid joints and corners. Everywhere possible, I inserted the thick cardstock into grooves to hold it secure. On the corners and edges, I cut out the foam but kept the backing - which makes for solid, attractive edges. Finally, I carved out notches from the bottom to make it easy to grab the bottom card/token with my fingers (otherwise the last card was flush on the bottom and kind of hard to get out).

Monster box. Dimensions for the insert are 4 5/8 x 5 3/4 x 1 1/2. Tuck box is basically 1/8" bigger in all dimensions. There are separate but adjacent slots to hold the faction tokens from Shades of Tezla. Otherwise, all the tokens are mixed together (core + Lost Legion essentially) as that's how I roll.

Monster box with tokens removed. This was the most tedious to put together, as I made grooves in the side walls for every divider. Yes, it's not as flexible as a Broken Token container ... but since there are no more expansions I am positive that I won't need to rearrange the slots later. For the dividers, I used foam board between most of the tokens and the narrow card stock to separate the faction tokens from the others like them.

Closeup of the mana box. Dimensions of the insert are 3 x 4 3/8 x 13/16. Pretty similar design to the monster box, just simpler. I only stored a subset of the dice and crystals as this whole project is designed for solo playing primarily.

Now for my custom play aids. Along the top row are a series of cards to track fame. I just move a shield token along this - flipping up a new card whenever necessary. The level-up bonuses are shown with similar symbols as on the original board. Also shown is my reputation tracker (more condense, just as useful) and the "night" card.

Here are the reverse sides of the previous cards. The fame tracker goes up to 118 - I tried to get to 119 like the original, but couldn't make it work. I guess I'll manage if I ever get that famous. And below that are the "day" card and just the flip side of my reputation tracker.

So there it is. Took a while but well worth it! Hope it gives some ideas to others. Let me know if you have any more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the details, very nice!

But what about all the stuff in this photo? That's unofficial, too, isn't it?
RazorSoup wrote:

Some of the extras in the box. I LOVE using cards for drawing tiles - so much easier to manage and not worry about unintentionally "peeking" at the top tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnese K
Latvia
Riga
Riga
flag msg tools
mb
This is so cool! Definitely will inspire me to do something similar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razor Soup
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The playing cards are unofficial - my preference for making the terrain draw more game-friendly. Everything else is from the base or expansions.

SirWillibald wrote:
Thanks for the details, very nice!

But what about all the stuff in this photo? That's unofficial, too, isn't it?
RazorSoup wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you could upload your custom cards (trackers as well as tile randomizer cards) to Artscow or another printing site? They look awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks amazing man, now I feel like a looser with my zip bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome man! You have skills.

Heck, I feel like a loser with my broken token organizer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.