Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This is part rant and part request.....

It used to be that I could go hit up the Essen preview geeklist and just search it and easily make a shopping list of what I wanted to get. Now, however, so many of the games on that list are "preview at Essen in advance of going on sale in 2017" or are already shipping in the US (or will be available before I return from Essen). I'm assuming a ton of these are KS games, some of which may not even be available until after Essen '17 (despite what they might say), but it's hard to actually research what I want to buy vs. what I just want to see when it's a matter of digging just to find out if the game is an actual Essen release vs. a game that's just being shown at Essen.

So.... does anyone know of a list of games that are actual releases for sale for the first time AT Essen? Obviously there's some overlap between releases and "games that I'll get soon in the States" and I don't mind discriminating there, but it's so fuzzy right now that I feel like there's got to be someone who's done a little of this legwork already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
http://www.merz-verlag.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/21405396/neuheite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That doesn't appear to be what I'm looking for. I was quickly able to find 5 games on that list that on the BGG Essen Preview list are noted as "available for demo" or "available for preview" with the game coming out after the show, and at least two titles I've already seen with my own eyes here in the US.

But thanks for the link, as it will be another reference I can use as I winnow things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Kaleen
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the same frustration with the list. I know it is a huge effort, but it is starting to become too big to be useful. I am constantly being pointed by customers to new games which it turns out are not being premiered there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I share your feeling, the list of "really new" is hard to make.

Do you count a game that was on sale at GenCon but nowhere else?

Do you count games that are on preorder only and already sold out?

Do you count games that are available in the US but anywhere else? (you probably don't want them in the list, but I would do since not have access to them yet)

How about games that are available outside the fair but ONLY if you preordered them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Nushura wrote:

Do you count games that are available in the US but anywhere else? (you probably don't want them in the list, but I would do since not have access to them yet)

How about games that are available outside the fair but ONLY if you preordered them?

Yes, the number of possible categories of games at SPIEL continues to grow, but the convention preview format has not changed. I have plenty of things that I'd like to change on the preview, but I'm not a tech guy, so I can't change it myself, and the programmers have other things to do that take higher priority. Maybe next year?

No matter what we do, though, games aren't going to fit into neat categories. As Nushura suggests, a game that's new at Gen Con is often also debuting at SPIEL for the European audience. Japon Brand will often sell out of titles that it's bringing to SPIEL due to preorders, so should I remove a game from the preview when it's no longer available via preorder? The list of possibilities goes on and on, and in some ways I just need to list a game and let each individual figure out the status of it since that status will differ depending on who you are. I bought Oink Games' Twins at Tokyo Game Market in May 2016, for example, but I'd wager that for 99.99% of SPIEL attendees their first exposure to the game will be in Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
huber wrote:

The list from Merz Verlag is helpful, but publishers have already made changes from when they submitted that information to the convention organizer, with some games now being no-shows due to customs or shipping issues, while other unlisted games will be available due to a publisher making a deal to have their games shown at another publisher's booth.

In some ways, you can't really know what will be at SPIEL until the Wednesday before the show opens. After all, you think back to SPIEL 2010 when manufacturer Scheer just failed to deliver promised games and left publishers high and dry. Until the games are in hand on the convention floor, you just don't know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

Myopically: no, yes, no, no.

Seriously, though, these are all good points, but that's kind of part of the rant of this: the market has changed so much that the way people list things (as Eric says) becomes less and less helpful every year. There's a non-trivial amount of games that are crowdfunding and using Essen as advertising instead of sales, for example, and that's a category that I'm okay looking at, but that's not what I go to Essen for. With more attention on the US market and GenCon, there are games that I can pop onto the internet and order and have waiting for me at home. And then there are the games I go to Essen for, those that are just out and debuting at the show. But it's just harder and harder to tell which are which as the publishers' purposes broaden. It's not a simple problem, I understand that. But as someone with a full time job that usually has been able to find a handy reference that helped me efficiently research, it's frustrating. I'm not blaming anyone, but that's why I wanted to vent a little.

And honestly, I really had hoped that someone had at least put together a KS list or something that would help identify games that I'm obviously just not going to be able to buy so that I can push them off to later in the show rather than rushing to a game I want to probably buy only to be disappointed to learn that it's not actually a Real Thing yet.

I have time, so I'll do my research. I don't know if I'll have a chance to post anything, but I'll maybe try since it seems at least some other folks feel the same way. But we'll have to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan
Netherlands
Sint-Oedenrode
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a full solution but did you see the SPIEL Together tool?
You can manage your own SPIEL list and research games quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
asdoriak wrote:

Not at all what I'm talking about. That seems to be a place to compile information that I already have, not a place to find the information I need.

I am not dissatisfied with the information I take to the show and my access to that information, I'm dissatisfied that the process of finding that information has become more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind that some games are released before the show.

But what really annoys me is the 'available for demo before a kickstarter campaign/release in 2017'.

There are so many new games released at Essen that we don't need this chaff confusing the search for gaming wheat. I instantly hide all these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
asdoriak wrote:

Not at all what I'm talking about. That seems to be a place to compile information that I already have, not a place to find the information I need.

I am not dissatisfied with the information I take to the show and my access to that information, I'm dissatisfied that the process of finding that information has become more difficult.

I think the tool was updated and you can filter our games that are 'demo only'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:

I don't see that option, but if you can point it out I'd be grateful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how to filter, but many games have that tag (for example, 12 Realms: Bedtime Story)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
snake2shake wrote:

I don't see that option, but if you can point it out I'd be grateful!

The filters are only available on the "all"games list, not on the" not prioritized " which is selected by default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.