Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to not discard when your alliance is at Zero VP, thereby going down to a negative VP during the Discard Phase, and then during the Victory Phase go back up into a positive number again? I'd say yes, but would like to hear an official answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Victory step is before the Discard step, so it shouldn't be too many games (I never saw one) were you go into negative numbers. I thought about it when writing the rules and decided it was too much of an outlier situation to bother addressing in the rules. But I figure, if fate has been so hard that you're in negative numbers, no, you can't go below zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ian. So you can discard in that situation with no penalty? I see it happening only on that first game turn. I have found a few times during later turns when I wanted to not discard (as noted in the Session reports coming up on a separate thread). The cards cycle so fast that you want to keep more of them, that's for sure!

My first two solitaires ended on Turns 7 and 14. So I hope a future game will go farther toward Turn 20, and I can see how Alternate Histories works with that. In the game where the Japanese took over all of Asia, they were getting pretty low on cards--but it seemed worthwhile for them that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, on turn one everyone will get 2 points of their home spaces. those points are collected prior to the point lost for a discard, so somehow the player had to lose points prior to that happening. I can't think of how it could happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. Still, its good to have a call for the future. Are you anticipating any third expansion, or are we done for now? I remember you saying you originally wanted to put France and China in, so I figure this is the game you first envisioned, in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.