Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. I'm looking to get an expansion for Village and find myself torn. I like the base game of Village a lot, and I mainly play it 2-player with my girlfriend. I'm looking for an expansion that is going to keep the game fresh and interesting for us over a long time. From what I've read, it sounds like Village Inn does this.

I'm also looking for something that is going to balance out the difficult travel strategy. It seems that whenever someone decides to heavily travel, they end up losing. While I'm sure there's a way to make this strategy work more, it's been difficult to uncover. It seems that Village Port helps with this issue by switching out the travel.

What do you all think? Have you tried both? Have you tried one but it alleviates both of my key factors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not played Village Port, but I have played multiple 2-player games with Inn. The one time I focused on travel in a game, I was fortunate enough to get two Innspeople to help make that (Count and Messenger) a viable option (the Count I got at the beginning and the Messenger when I had only one more city left to visit). So the Inn can make travel more viable, but only under the right circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and have played with both. If I had to choose just one to keep, it would be Port, no contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
I have both, and have played with both. If I had to choose just one to keep, it would be Port, no contest.

Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate on why you prefer Port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sort of banished Village Inn from my collection. What we have basically found in our group is that anyone who does not go to the Inn will lose and typically the person who completes three or more cards will win. The tavern not only becomes a mandatory actions, but its mandatory multiple times. It tends to take away from the "multiple strategies" feel of the game. I like having it for the 5P components, but otherwise I refuse to bring the tavern out.

Village Port really feels like it changes the dynamics of the game. The travel action is more exciting. It has more options. It somehow feels more strategic, but I don't know that I could explain exactly why. The optional "goal" cards are also a nice touch to the game. They give players asymmetric goals that also push the players into certain strategies, but somehow it feels less intrusive than tavern cards do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both and always play with both. Port makes travel more interesting, both offer more ways to win points, and Inn gives some one-shot special abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I have sort of banished Village Inn from my collection. What we have basically found in our group is that anyone who does not go to the Inn will lose and typically the person who completes three or more cards will win. The tavern not only becomes a mandatory actions, but its mandatory multiple times. It tends to take away from the "multiple strategies" feel of the game. I like having it for the 5P components, but otherwise I refuse to bring the tavern out.

Village Port really feels like it changes the dynamics of the game. The travel action is more exciting. It has more options. It somehow feels more strategic, but I don't know that I could explain exactly why. The optional "goal" cards are also a nice touch to the game. They give players asymmetric goals that also push the players into certain strategies, but somehow it feels less intrusive than tavern cards do.

As for me, I wouldn't say I have "banished" the Inn expansion, but I'd say it doesn't feel very entertaining. It has its good sides but I think it doesn't bring much excitement to the base game. I must say that, when asked to play "Village" with an expansion, I tend to choose "Port" more often because it develops the multi-strategic feeling of the game - even better than the "outside-the-Village" part of the board it is placed upon. I know it's only personal feelings and maybe you'd like more unbiased tangible information, so I'll tell you this : start with "Port" which, I believe, will please you a lot, and in the future, get or borrow "Inn", and you'll see the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played with The Inn once (2 player) & felt that it dominated the game. Not only are there great cards for yourself to watch out for you also have to try & constantly block your opponent from getting cards that will help their strategy too much. There's a lot of points to be had using the Inn. After one play, I won't use it again. I didn't enjoy the focus I had to give that one part of the game.

I haven't tried The Port yet, but after reading some of the comments here, I'm looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Bakanov
Ukraine
Kharkiv
flag msg tools
I have both and I really like both. However, I feel that Port is more significant expansion.

With the port it was the first time when the person won using travel strategy. Port provides different strategies even within travelling. You will have to choose goods to sell and to get, and routes to do it effectively. Also it adds one more condition for ending game. And included mini-expansion with life goals will encourage you to try different strategies and will help new players to get into the game.

Inn is a place where you can get some kind of a booster for chosen strategy. So I'd say it doesn't add something new, but rather adds additional points to existing actions. Also it adds 5th player, that may be essential.

But still, if you have an opportunity to get both expansions, I'd recommend to get both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Port, with the same reasons as the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zepheus wrote:
MDJD wrote:

Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate on why you prefer Port?

Sure. While Inn adds a few nice elements, for me, the addition of sea travel in Port really makes the game stand out. It's so much more interesting than travel. Basically, Port replaces the least dynamic part of the base game with something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the Inn and dislike it. It feels out of place and adds too much randomness. (It was so bad that it soured me not only on the Port but I have not bought any expansion for any game since.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone's comments on Inn, but as a person who has played with both, I am happy to say that Port balances Inn. And that if you are going to expand the game it is best to have both expansions.

I have 5 games now with both expansions, and about 50 plays of Village total. The Inn is still very good, but we have had winners who focused on using the Port to generate a good portion of their VPs, averaging 3 very complete voyages.

I've played 0 games with just the Port expansion, but I imagine that with the Port expansion only, if you ignore the Port you will probably lose.

A last point on Inn, the expansion is much better if you play with the correct rules. Due to a translation error, The English version rules made the Noblewoman card way too powerful. Since I've played with the correct rules, I enjoy the Inn expansion much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
croloris wrote:
Due to a translation error, The English version rules made the Noblewoman card way too powerful. Since I've played with the correct rules, I enjoy the Inn expansion much more.

I would say that the Noblewoman is not the only problem. One of the cards increases the bonus for villagers in the chronicle and also gives you points for an extra person that other players can't get. If someone picks this card up, it encourages quick kills and shortens the game to the point where it hurts anyone who was playing with a longer term strategy. Most of the other cards (i.e. points for green cubes) do not affect other players, but the chronicle bonus card is just disruptive to the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them both, and love them both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kosak
Croatia
Petrinja
Sisacko moslavacka zupanija
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have them both but Inn gets more favor than Port. Maybe because we first got Inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.