Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: I truly hope Riot Games makes a $ million $ dollars from this Mechs vs Minions!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Game play looks very solid and well thought out.

2) Components are over the top - (good thing GW isnt putting this game out or it would be $300)

3) I like the distribution method - NO online discounts !! (who needs them at this price !!)

4) Advertising is planned out like nothing I have seen before in a board game!! - never even heard of this game and then POW 1/2 dozen big name board game reviewers all put their review for this game out on the same day !! ( If it didnt know better I would think Riot Games was releasing a new XBOX game the way they timed it!!) HMMMMM whistle

5) Will be throwing my copy of ROBO-Rally in the trash tomorrow!!

6) WOW and WOW

7) I really feel sorry for all future kickstarter projects - " ... we just cant get you quality components and miniatures for that price backers - sorry ..." ---- "... but wait there was this one game that did it no problem ..."

8) Hats off to Riot Games !!

just my 1db1db
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot games had a 2015 revenue of $1.6 billion.

That equates to roughly $4,383,561.64 every day.

A part of me thinks that they're taking some sort of loss on this because, well, they can. I can't imagine they are, but $75 seems just ridiculous for what they're delivering.

Either way, I hope the game is truly successful (in board games terms, of course!) because it looks fun, has a great value (to me), and seems like such a labor of love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I really hope this will create a new standard of quality for boardgames.

2) I really hope they produced enough copy because I feel there gonna be a massive amount of people buying. All the big names of boardgaming made a review of it and LoL players also gonna want to buy it.

3) I really hope their website is ready for the massive influx of people who gonna log on the release date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If anyone can setup servers to handle some board game orders, these guys can. 32 million active players a month and 3 million on any given day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2012/10/12/league...

I think the 30,000 copies will run out long before they have problems handling the web traffic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

3) I really hope their website is ready for the massive influx of people who gonna log on the release date.

Me on October 13th, 10:59am. Riot Merch Store.

http://gph.is/1C6ROE5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Espinosa
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:

5) Will be throwing my copy of ROBO-Rally in the trash tomorrow!!

8) Hats off to Riot Games !!

I love Roborally and it has always been my favorite game, even though it gets some hate (which is partially deserved, but I still love it). I hope I am able to get a copy of this before it sells out, but only time will tell if the game feels different than Roborally (ie. they both live on my shelf) or if it is an upgraded experience in comparison. I have tried other programming games and they have not beat my favorite, but this one seems much more in the same vein to me. We will see. That said, I agree, amazing job Riot. I hope you decide to stick around in the boardgame world a bit, because your first outing is all 10s!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited too. They could have just used the popularity of their champions to pump out a game that's more about the minis than the gameplay -- but everything I've seen says that just isn't the case.

This looks like a really fun board game, with a lot of thought and time put into it.

Hopefully this is just the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:

3) I like the distribution method - NO online discounts !! (who needs them at this price !!)

what's the price? I haven't seen it anywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$75 + shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

nevermind, found it ($75)

my jaw dropped. With the components I saw on watch it played, and the size of that box, I expected $100 MINIMUM, and even at that price it was an instabuy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
In reference to the price, it's not really fair to compare a kickstarter "company" to Riot games.
They can state off the bat that they want 30.000 copies so that immediately makes production cheaper. They also have cunning business people working behind the scenes to set up possible future deals and contracts to negotiate a better price for this project.

They won't be making any losses, I'm sure of that.

I am really happy though that we still have the possibility to be surprised by a newcomer and that they offer a kick in the nuts to FFG and CMON who are the only real competitors here... not the kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:
dettmarp wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

my jaw dropped. With the components I saw on watch it played, and the size of that box, I expected $100 MINIMUM, and even at that price it was an instabuy

They're only selling it through their own store. They're doing it right - cutting out the middle man, and then meeting the consumer halfway on the saved money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
dettmarp wrote:
dettmarp wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

They're only selling it through their own store. They're doing it right - cutting out the middle man, and then meeting the consumer halfway on the saved money.

see, but now I'm worried about it selling out at that price plus the hype its getting. I'm gonna have to implement my "gen con room registration" strategies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dettmarp wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
dettmarp wrote:
dettmarp wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

see, but now I'm worried about it selling out at that price plus the hype its getting. I'm gonna have to implement my "gen con room registration" strategies

The game will sell out. I wouldn't wait to order if you want it. I haven't been adding games for a while but I have a reminder on my phone to get this bad boy. Of course I'm teaching a class at the time of release. I'll havs,to plan my lesson accordingly for that day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:

But FLGS are the only way we will grow this hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Pauly
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:

I strongly disagree. Even if this game is not available via FLGS, it will attract a lot more possible boardgamers to the hobby!!

And me, being a hardcore boardgaming enthusiast, I already attracted and attract a lot of people to the hobby too. The way publishers try to support FLGS is bad for me since I hardly ever buy from anything else but online stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squidy wrote:
Tarnop wrote:

I strongly disagree. This game will attract a lot more possible boardgamers to the hobby!!

And me, being a hardcore boardgaming enthusiast, I already attracted and attract a lot of people to the hobby too. The way publishers try to support FLGS is bad for me since I hardly ever buy from anything else but online stores.

Your sarcasm meter must be broken, me thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I often forget that sarcasm doesn't work on the internet. I agree that the crossover appeal of this game will make more new boardgamers in a year than local game stores ever could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Pauly
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Sorry, I often forget that sarcasm doesn't work on the internet. I agree that the crossover appeal of this game will make more new boardgamers in a year than local game stores ever could.

Sorry. blush I am no native English speaker so that might be part of the problem. And I have read about the controversial FLGS policy from several publishers lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am hoping this is a sign of things to come.

Perhaps, ten years from now, kids are going to raise an eyebrow when we tell them we used to have to paint our miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

In the secret cabal interview, they talked about struggling with that decision themselves, and I think if they had any intention of actually becoming a boardgame publisher longer term, they might have put more weight on the benefits of supporting FLGSs in their decision making process.

But for them this is a passion project; it's not something they have any plans for doing again. So I'm happy to overlook the lack of support for FLGSs.

Edit: also your later comment about converting LoL players also applies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

extremely false

edit: sorry; I, too, did not catch the sarcasm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
@Marcel

Wenns hilft, ich hab mich totgelacht
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RamMegiddo wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

In the secret cabal interview, they talked about struggling with that decision themselves, and I think if they had any intention of actually becoming a boardgame publisher longer term, they might have put more weight on the benefits of supporting FLGSs in their decision making process.

But for them this is a passion project; it's not something they have any plans for doing again. So I'm happy to overlook the lack of support for FLGSs.

The FLGS model of making money by selling games is going to die. There's almost no reason for consumers to purchase games through them anymore, when purchasing games is more efficient for literally everyone other than the FLGS owner through online storefronts. FLGS owners need to learn that their business is event planning, community building, and teaching games (and providing food/drinks)—not retail sales—and adapt accordingly.

They will survive as long as they learn that their income stream is going to come from these other areas primarily, with retail sales being secondary to them, or they're going to go out of business (and I'd argue they should, as that model is horribly inefficient).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

The FLGS model of making money by selling games is going to die. There's almost no reason for consumers to purchase games through them anymore, when purchasing games is more efficient for literally everyone other than the FLGS owner through online storefronts. FLGS owners need to learn that their business is event planning, community building, and teaching games (and providing food/drinks)—not retail sales—and adapt accordingly.

They will survive as long as they learn that their income stream is going to come from these other areas primarily, with retail sales being secondary to them, or they're going to go out of business (and I'd argue they should, as that model is horribly inefficient).

I really think game stores should consider dipping into the secondary market, and start buying and selling used games. There is no real easy convenient way to do this (math trades get complicated, trades/shipping is kind of pain to deal with) and they could make a lot of money if they properly vet the games they are willing to buy (like they do with magic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.