Hide
17 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mostly the saga expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil K
msg tools
I have had the game for a while now but haven't had all the time in the world to play. I LOVE the game. I have Khazad Dum, 3 of the packs in that cycle, shadows of mirkwood, the hobbit expansions and the first movie expansions. I got through the Dwarf. cycle without trouble but having some trouble at the hobbit ones. I was considering either stopping my collection here or continuing with only the saga expansions. For those of you that have the saga expansions, I was wondering if you feel as though they are pretty self contained and are manageable with my current card pool, or are they designed with the idea that people have 90% of the cards already and are impossible without getting the other stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
also if I get more expansions I am going to have to somewhat ruin this beautifully organized box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played through the Hobbit boxes, and I may have dipped slightly into the Khazad Dum card pool, but otherwise all Hobbit and core. The quests are definitely unique challenges (at least We Must Away, Flies and Spiders, and The Lonely Mountain gave me trouble) and some took 5+ plays to get a victory. I also overstayed my welcome in The Lonely Mountain for a few plays too and ended up, rather unthematically, never recovering the Arkenstone.

Stick with it, you'll get some wins.

Edit: Also, nice storage! Almost makes you want a second core just to make some room...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yisu Wang
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
The first quest of the hobbits expansion (we must away) is almost impossible for solo (at least for me). but it gets much easier with 2 players or 2 hands. For Flies and Spiders and The Lonely Mountain, you just have to figure out a good deck and play style to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yisuwang527hotmail wrote:
The first quest of the hobbits expansion (we must away) is almost impossible for solo (at least for me). but it gets much easier with 2 players or 2 hands.

I'm getting destroyed at this solo so far, but I've only tried with the suggested decks in the box. I guess the suggestion is for *both* decks, not one or the other. I might pause, play through the Dwarrowdelf first, and come back with a dwarf deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I had to cut the cardboard insert so that I could use all of it as a card organizer. You can invert the left and right "trough" portions, they will perfectly fit unsleeved cards horizontally. Then the center lane, now cut out from the cardboard insert, will also fit a third row of cards and/or accessories (tokens, counters, etc.).

I noticed your organizers were getting a little folded from the lid pressing down on them. I ran into the same issue, so I made some supports for the corners from a an amazon shipping box. Cut to length just tall enough to be higher than the dividers, then folded in a 90 degree angle to sit flush in the corners of the box. I wedged between the core box and the "trough" card organizer. Then the lid sits on the support and protects the dividers from getting folded or crushed. The box won't close flush, but it'll protect your work!

I own all of the current sagas (including the POD scenarios). They all fit into one core box with some room to spare.

EDIT: I only own the lord of the rings sagas. I don't have the hobbit sagas, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Well I love the challenge. I actually found the game too easy with a specific hammer and anvil decklist my gf and I randomly came up with and we just decided we should just switch decks to be more varied. But never beat the 3rd base set scenario and just beat the first hobbit a couple of months ago. That was really hard and we never got the treasure in that quest which was unfortunate. But i don't want the game to be impossible which is why I asked about a saga only route from here on out.

Also great idea for the inserts on the corners. I just figured there was no way around that so I just let it happen. Also if I got the new expansions - will cutting the middle completely mess up the box? I tried it for netrunner and it turned out quite horrible haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenten Petersen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that saga only is a great route. There are deck lists included in the rule books for the saga expansions that were created by the games creators. These deck lists include only core set cards and cards from previous saga boxes.

I feel people undervalue these deck lists. You can defeat the saga quests with them and learn a thing or two about deck building in the process. Once you have tried the decks in the rule books tweak them to make them your own.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
That's a good point. They have to have winnable scenarios if they provide their own deck list for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
"..Also if I got the new expansions - will cutting the middle completely mess up the box?.."

Nah, not if you cut it halfway up the vertical side, instead of at the seam (the fold). This is what I did, then I faced the shorter side of each of the two "troughs" toward the sides of core box. I didn't actually keep the center, of the insert, just the sides. The walls of those two side troughs are enough to make a sturdy center trough without giving up the valuable real-estate.

Edit: Just realized you might be asking about modding the box itself. I didn't cut the boxes at all (i'm a bit OCD about keeping the original boxes as they are), I'm only modding the inserts to function as card trays. The inserts for the expansions are a little too small to be that useful, the cards won't fit in the expansion boxes, anyway. They are too short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Hmmm. I am not 100% sure how this works. What I did was invert the tray it came with to make those two rows. I was considering cutting the tray in the middle to open the middle up. But it appears as though maybe your talking about keeping it how the tray originally was and then cutting the edges perhaps to open up the sides? Do you have a picture of your box maybe? Hard to conceptualize what you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
A view of the inside of my core box with all current Lord of the Rings Saga Expansions, Core set, and all Heirs of Numenor cycles (just got them recently to build a Gondor themed deck!). In the center aisle, I store accessories (tokens, dice, counters, etc) and the decks my gf and I are currently using. I haven't opened the flames of the west cards (left card tray, back), yet. They are still in their shrink wrap. Once the last LotR saga is released, I'll move the Murder at the Prancing Pony scenario (left card tray, front) so that all of the sagas will fit neatly in one card tray!

A side on view to show the cardboard support heights just above the height of the dividers.

A view with the lid closed. It doesn't sit flush with the bottom, but it's closed enough that the contents won't be strewn about.

EDIT: I failed to take a photo of how I store all saga rulebooks in this box, but you may have noticed I cut cardboard supports toward the interior of each card tray. The rulebooks will rest on these supports to avoid crushing the dividers. It works perfectly. As much as I'd like a broken token-like organizer, I just can't afford it at this point having been introduced to this game rather late. I would rather spend the money on more expansions.

EDIT2: Credit to Ryno for the divider templates. They really look beautiful and match the color schemes for the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Alves
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice solution Rosen, but if you use sleeves then it's a complete chaos!

I have then also (sleeved) in two rows in the core box, but can only fit the core box, Khazad-Dum and the 7 Saga boxes. And the Saga's player cards aren't even there but on "dedicated" card boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
It actually can fit sleeved cards in all three rows, with the exception of at the terminal ends of the left and right card trays. To make the corners of the card trays more secure (when I remove them from the core box), I somewhat overlapped the flaps that were already a part of the cardboard insert instead of cutting them off. The space where the cardboard overlaps is too narrow for sleeved cards. However, I could trim to reduce the overlap to just the bare minimum necessary, and then sleeved cards will fit throughout the entire tray with no squishing.

Figure1: Sleeved will fit in all three rows - sleeved card are circled in red

Figure2: Sleeved cards - right tray

Figure3: Sleeved cards - left tray

Figure4: Card tray corner cardboard overlap - circled in red

Figure 5: Card tray without cardboard overlap - note the extra horizontal space circled in red

The cards themselves will become thicker, though, from the extra plastic material. So the sagas might not fit neatly into one row anymore. Just a personal preference, but I don't like shuffling sleeved cards. And this game requires so much shuffling that I just didn't want to deal with that. So I left the card trays as they are and did not modify any more than I did. Hope that helps with some ideas, if you need to save cash where you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Alves
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice and very useful information Rosen.

That's a job well done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks . You are right. Even unsleeved, no way everything will fit in one core box. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Very awesome! Thanks for sharing the details! It gives a lot more real estate by doing that. I think I could also put the cards to the side in the center tray to add cards there. But will definitely give this a shot if I get the expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.