25 Posts

Nemo's War (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Game Release? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Welch
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any news on when we be able to order this game and get it in our hands? I was hoping to see it at Gen Con but it wasn't even there to view. Starting to wonder if this is just a pipe dream and I should just take it off my list. I haven't even heard that it is going to be at Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool Mint
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
This week's update sent to the kickstarter backers says "We’ve got a minor update for you all as we have finally gotten word back from the printer! There were a few small corrections that we had to give as a result of taking a look at their digital proofs. Once we have confirmation from the printer that the corrections have been made, we’ll be one step closer to the physical proofing process."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS campaign was talking November but more likely Q1 next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured maybe December. I missed the talk that even that was optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Carrollton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The estimate from the update today is early 2017 for KS. This is based off of their experience with the production time frame of Dawn of the Zeds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the wording gave them a nice big cushion of up to 4-5 months of delay on top of the 10 months they already had. I'm hoping they'll clarify it down to a month rather than "early 2017".

I'm irritated with this. And I partially blame myself. I was hoping to give one of my copies as a Xmas gift. And I've done enough KS's to know that delays are the rule, not the exception. But it ticks me off that the creator spammed out 36 mostly inconsequential updates post-KS implying that everything was on track. Then we hear what amounts to, "Well, we're actually several months behind schedule." Would have been nice hearing that sooner, since it was obvious they've known for a while.

If they buried the delay somewhere way back, then I'll apologize. But I eagerly read every update as they went live, and I don't recall anything that changed my delivery expectation. I understand not wanting to put a revised delivery estimate out there too soon. But if you are going to update so much, then include the most vital piece of info--where you are compared to where you thought you'd be at the time!

thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi James, yes Kickstarter can mean a long wait for something they get you all excited about when you sign up. I guess that's just the nature of the beast. Re. deadlines, I remember when I did some writing for Days of Wonder the CEO at the time would say never mention a delivery date publicly. But that wasn't for Kickstarter projects. I think not mentioning a date until you're absolutely sure makes good business sense, but the Kickstarter model seems to put the proposers in a bit of a hole. They kind of have to take a stab at when we're going to get all this stuff we've already paid for.

It's a bit of a weird model in some ways, since the final prices seem to be a little inflated in my view, but I'm sure most proposers are honest and are not making excess profits. Ultimately, there seems to be little way of knowing if you're investing in a product that genuinely could not have come to market any other way, especially at that price, or if proposers are simply and understandably minimising their risk on a product they'd have developed traditionally anyway.

I do think Kickstarter is a test of patience for buyers. I just can't afford all these marvellous new goodies, so I tend to close my eyes to anything newer than a year old, then check reviews and find a second hand bargain The only exception was the Tunnels and Trolls Kickstarter, which started for me as pure nostalgia but ended up with great satisfaction in a fabulous artefact I'm sure this one will go the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KS delays are not a rule. Many Editors manage to be on track for the delivery or even early : Mistfall, Simurgh, Scythe, Explorers, Tesla vs Edison, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I missed something when I went back to reread the update but I don't see where there is a definite delay. It sounded like an explanation of the natural proofing process steps as they progress and that this was on schedule. No one can be sure what will happen with each step's results (will there or will there not be mistakes from the printer) but this sounded like all is on schedule so far. Could you let me know what I missed or misunderstood? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you're reading the latest update Matthew? We're referring to "we estimate fulfillment to be complete and the game at your door in early 2017" and "We hate these delays, too, but if you are like us, you would rather have the game right than right now." There's no ambiguity there. They mention that everything may be perfect with the latest proof, so it could go a bit quicker, but I'm assuming "quicker" might mean January rather than March.

And Don, I agree those are all good generic points for dealing with KS. I've backed nothing but game projects, so I've come to understand how things work after a few dozen. I am typically the person being zen in the comments about delays. CMON projects are a perfect example. They are terrible about post-KS communication, so we deal with lots of silence, then delay announcements. But the difference there is the project bloats with an enormous amount of free and exclusive bonus content, so delays are understandable and predictable right from the start. Here we have a graphical update to an existing game, with no exclusive extras to produce (other than a pin), and a nice, long production window. And weekly updates. Dozens and dozens of them. My disappointment stems from the fact that all those updates painted a picture of being on time. When clearly they weren't. They must have known at least 4-8 updates ago that they were falling months behind schedule. They don't need to update the delivery date at that point, but they could mention that they are off track to set us up for the delay. Soften the blow as it were.

Hah. You actually just made my day worse. I'm a huge T&T fan from back in the day. But I wasn't watching KS in 2013, so I had no idea the old crew had a campaign. I still have my original box set and tons of dungeons. I'm never letting go of that stuff. It's still too much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah fair enough, if you think there's been a lack of communication following a glut I can see your frustration.

Yeah T&T solo modules were a hoot, even the worst of them. In fact, the worse they got the more fun they were. Love Weirdworld!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad. I didn't think of the text at face value being that off-scheduley but of course missed the entire point until I went back to look at the original timetable (that I write down for any kickstarter I do). Thanks for the reorient.

This is what I get for ignoring my usual instinct to just lurk.
"Eyes in the back of the room!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all good, guys. Nothing to be done for it now. And I do take part of the responsibility by thinking this publisher was more transparent and reliable than most. I should have waited for them to earn it first.

It doesn't help that the owner just responded aggressively on the KS by basically telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and then posting a great big . That speaks volumes right there.

yangtze2000 wrote:
Ah fair enough, if you think there's been a lack of communication following a glut I can see your frustration.

Nope. Not my point. It's not a sudden lack of updates. It's a stream of dozens of updates giving the impression we were on track when we clearly weren't. Late is fine. Happens all the time. But I was dumb enough to trust their updates at face value. Lesson learned.

True on those T&T solo modules. One of my favorites involved a drunk rock demon companion with a keg of endless ale. Maybe his name was Quartz? My books are in storage right now. I need to pull those out. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I find it both funny and troubling that somehow a timeline gets moved from Nov 2016 to first quarter 2017 when they come across as everything is ok. Sorry but if you miss a deadline by that much, then everything is not ok. It seems their Chinese sources take forever along with how disorganized VPG is on kickstarters. I think anyone that backs one of theirs in the future should add 5 months to any deadline they give for getting a game in your hands. They had big time delayed for their Kickstarter Zeds game it was due November 2015 and delivered in June 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here we are...3 months and 11 updates later and we know....nothing. It's less than two weeks until 2017, and all we know about fulfillment is "early 2017". Same as back in September.

Wow.

I guess some folks enjoy hearing that the lights are still turned on the internet is working at VPG, but the only update I care about at this point is when my games will be delivered. Throw us a bone. This isn't your first KS. Eleven months into production--be bold and narrow it down to a month or two. January? February? April? When?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they don't know they can't say. No good throwing out more dates and potentially failing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
So here we are...3 months and 11 updates later and we know....nothing. It's less than two weeks until 2017, and all we know about fulfillment is "early 2017". Same as back in September.

Wow.

I guess some folks enjoy hearing that the lights are still turned on the internet is working at VPG, but the only update I care about at this point is when my games will be delivered. Throw us a bone. This isn't your first KS. Eleven months into production--be bold and narrow it down to a month or two. January? February? April? When?

I agree with the previous commenter that there is no point for VPG to throw out another date, because there are still so many variables.

However, based on how other projects have gone (We've backed over 500), I'd say April or May is likely. They had still not given the green light to begin manufacturing as of December 17. Assuming that happens by January 1, then it's likely that the manufacturing phase (scheduling, manufacturing, assembling, packing) will take about a month, shipping overseas will take 6 weeks, plus another 2 weeks for fulfillment, and the Chinese New Year Holiday will add about a month to that process. And that is if they don't hit any additional problems such as glaring manufacturing errors, trouble finding a cargo ship to accept the shipment, being held up at customs when it hits the US (or the EU or...), or being pushed to the back of the line by the fulfillment company if it happens to arrive at the same time as a number of larger projects.

Stuff can happen, and VPG is doing the right thing by keeping us updated as to where things stand without giving unreliable estimates.

I don't mean to excuse all the delays. I have no idea why it has taken so long already, and I'm not defending the level of communication up to this point. I'm simply saying that, given where things stand at this moment, I think it's understandable that VPG doesn't want to provide an estimated date of arrival just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's certainly reasonable, which is why I'm not asking for a date. Just an estimate. A range. There are far fewer variables this far into the process than before the campaign, and they (and every other creator) came up with an estimate back then just fine. Unless major unexpected hurdles have been encountered (which I don't suspect happened), the closer we get to the end the more the deadline should be dialed in. With production this close to being green lit, I think they can be more specific than "early 2017". You are probably closer to the mark with May, considering Chinese New Year is very soon, and "early 2017" will be interpreted by some as January/February. Which, in it's vagueness, will actually cause more frustration than a more specific prediction.

I come from a PR background with a major video game publisher, so I understand not wanting to make wild predictions. Given the 3 months since we last heard things were delayed to 2017, I think it is reasonable to expect a delivery window smaller than 4 months wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
That's certainly reasonable, which is why I'm not asking for a date. Just an estimate. A range. There are far fewer variables this far into the process than before the campaign, and they (and every other creator) came up with an estimate back then just fine. Unless major unexpected hurdles have been encountered (which I don't suspect happened), the closer we get to the end the more the deadline should be dialed in. With production this close to being green lit, I think they can be more specific than "early 2017". You are probably closer to the mark with May, considering Chinese New Year is very soon, and "early 2017" will be interpreted by some as January/February. Which, in it's vagueness, will actually cause more frustration than a more specific prediction.

I come from a PR background with a major video game publisher, so I understand not wanting to make wild predictions. Given the 3 months since we last heard things were delayed to 2017, I think it is reasonable to expect a delivery window smaller than 4 months wide.

I understand. This is not how I would run a campaign personally. I'm just unphased (unfazed? I'm too lazy to google it) by it given what I know about how these things typically go.

I will note, to provide a little more context, that we just received a "retailer's update" from Stonemaier Games (Scythe) that they have a shipment coming in from China that they had hopes would be release for retail in November, and it has been stuck in Customs for over a month, with no end in sight. It's possible it may not show up until Late January or even February. This is an unpresidented situation (small joke...couldn't help myself), but it goes to show that even the best laid plans can go wildly off the rails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch. That's unfortunate for Jamie.

Part of the problem here is that their revised estimate window sprung on us back in September technically begins in less than two weeks. If they know delivery is a minimum of 2-3 months away (which is reasonable if production hasn't started), they should state that now. Being this ridiculously cautious and vague (after whiffing their first deadline) is doing them more harm.

I don't mind delays in most cases. I just hate the way this group handles it. It's the first time I've been fed so many updates painting a rosy picture while burying the real headline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the KS for DotZ taught us anything is that they absolutely have no clue how "standard" production work. They really are out of their confort zone.

The problem is that it seems that they don't learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone else get irritated with last update that essentially was an advertisement for their newest KS campaign? Hard to get me to back when Im financially involved with two stalled projects from same co now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
anyone else get irritated with last update that essentially was an advertisement for their newest KS campaign? Hard to get me to back when Im financially involved with two stalled projects from same co now...

You are not alone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the last update: ETA July 2017.
It takes longer to produce Nemo's war than Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have further info on when pre-orders may be available in the UK? And from where, other than perhaps Boardgameguru?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.