Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone think about a campaign option for Terraforming Mars?

One thought I have was for every VP you are over a certain score at the end of the game (50 for your first game?), you can keep cards in play for the next session, providing you meet the requirements (so after your first game, you can probably only play cards that have no requirements).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be done for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but that's not a good idea.

Firstly, lets consider thematic aspect. Short version: it's nonsense. You can build some factory multiple times but you cannot terraform a planet twice.

50 points is too small value, even for the very first game. I would have to keep 39 cards which is more than I had. The other thing is this way ruins the idea of trying to find new way of playing in every game. Keeping cards from game to game means using every time the same combo. It's especially problem when playing with advanced corpo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
Here is a solo campaign variant that my brothers and I use that does not actively destroy the game mechanisms and balance :

How many games do you need to succeed terraforming with all the different corporations? Can you win with all 12 corporations in less than 24 games? (more than 50% win-rate)

You play the game following the normal rules. But in the beginning you pick out 2 corporations you want to choose from (you don't draw random!). After that you draw your 10 starting cards and choose which corporation and which cards to keep as normal.

This way you can leave corporations in the box after you succeeded with them. It doesn't give you an advantage to pick corporations since you don't see your starting hand when you do that. Of course, when you have succeeded with 11 corporations you only have 1 left, so the last game you just have to do what you can with the corporation and cards you get. But that only makes the final corporation more difficult!

Try it!

I expect feedback from all of you, in say... a week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
EagleEye80 wrote:
Here is a solo campaign variant that my brothers and I use that does not actively destroy the game mechanisms and balance :

How many games do you need to succeed terraforming with all the different corporations? Can you win with all 12 corporations in less than 24 games? (more than 50% win-rate)

You play the game following the normal rules. But in the beginning you pick out 2 corporations you want to choose from (you don't draw random!). After that you draw your 10 starting cards and choose which corporation and which cards to keep as normal.

This way you can leave corporations in the box after you succeeded with them. It doesn't give you an advantage to pick corporations since you don't see your starting hand when you do that. Of course, when you have succeeded with 11 corporations you only have 1 left, so the last game you just have to do what you can with the corporation and cards you get. But that only makes the final corporation more difficult!

Try it!

I expect feedback from all of you, in say... a week?

I'm so trying this.

Would it be bad if you just drew your 10 cards and then chose any corporation you wanted? Naturally, if you succeeded in terraforming Mars you wouldn't be able to choose the same corporation again. It would start off easy, but then it would get progressively harder as your choice of corporations ran down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already did more or less what Enoch suggested. For my first 11 games, I chose from two random corporations that I had not yet played, but otherwise standard setup. Game #12 I just picked the corp I hadn't played yet. I lost 2 out of 12, so then I played two more games to beat it with the two corps I lost with before for a total of 14 games. I think for my Ecoline game I may have cheated though, by for some reason not realizing that their 7 plants -> 1 Greenery is a once per generation ability.

I later tried for silly achievement: Win without placing any greenery tiles. I managed to do this with Thorgate and a lucky mix of projects.

I've gotten pretty good at the solo game, but it hasn't helped my multiplayer much. The strategy is quite a bit different, and I think I've gotten too used to thinking about card value relative to solo play. As of last night, I have lost four multiplayer games in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
Quote:
I'm so trying this.

Would it be bad if you just drew your 10 cards and then chose any corporation you wanted? Naturally, if you succeeded in terraforming Mars you wouldn't be able to choose the same corporation again. It would start off easy, but then it would get progressively harder as your choice of corporations ran down.

Coosing a corporation to fit your starting hand would make it very much easier! But hey, why don't you try it and see if you can make it on 15 games or less.

Don't forget that you start with all cards and no production in solo - only what's on your corporation. I notice a lot of people forgetting this! With starting production I think it's rather a sport to fail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
I think for my Ecoline game I may have cheated though, by for some reason not realizing that their 7 plants -> 1 Greenery is a once per generation ability.

It isn't, this supplants the usual action of converting plants into greeneries. Thus, it says "always" in the explaining text. You played it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:

Don't forget that you start with all cards and no production in solo - only what's on your corporation. I notice a lot of people forgetting this!

"No production". -check
"Start with all the cards" - wait, what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
carnalito wrote:
EagleEye80 wrote:

Don't forget that you start with all cards and no production in solo - only what's on your corporation. I notice a lot of people forgetting this!

"No production". -check

He said "You start with all cards and no prodcution ...". There was no "the" included.

I think he means all you have is your cards, and no production (other than what is on corporation) when you start ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
jeff0 wrote:
I think for my Ecoline game I may have cheated though, by for some reason not realizing that their 7 plants -> 1 Greenery is a once per generation ability.

It isn't, this supplants the usual action of converting plants into greeneries. Thus, it says "always" in the explaining text. You played it right.

Aha. I have a bad habit of ignoring text once I think I've learned the iconography. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
carnalito wrote:
EagleEye80 wrote:

"No production". -check

I meant that you always play solo-game with all the cards in the box, including Corporate Era, and that you don't start with the extra production of each reasource described in setup for the basic game. I just try to repeat this because, for some reason, a lot of people miss this and try to play solo with the basic game setup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.