Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said in other threads I have no intention of expanding on Grimslingers 1, but that I'm working on a new Grimslingers game that will expand the story of Grimslingers 1 (but new mechanics).

If I were to expand Grimslingers 1, what kind of content would you like to see added?

Archetypes
Map
Creatures
Items
Spells
Events
Story
Grimslingers
Animas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Cost
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to steep in theme, so I vote: Story story story. Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Cost
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing artwork btw. Eyes popping out fantastic art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Story cards for the map to make locations more dynamic. That would be really neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
Story cards for the map to make locations more dynamic. That would be really neat!

What do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
geocost wrote:
Amazing artwork btw. Eyes popping out fantastic art!

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C.

St Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I'm only on the second chapter in the solo campaign, but I'm loving it so far! I'd love to see more creature and story elements. I think Hank is a great addition and more companion characters would be nice too.

Components wise, it would be cool if there was some sort of HP and EP dial tracker.

Can't wait to get this out on the table for team v. team dueling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
fatasia wrote:
I'm only on the second chapter in the solo campaign, but I'm loving it so far! I'd love to see more creature and story elements. I think Hank is a great addition and more companion characters would be nice too.

Components wise, it would be cool if there was some sort of HP and EP dial tracker.

Can't wait to get this out on the table for team v. team dueling!

I'll get back to you when the European games arrive (This isn't a dig. I'm just super excited to check it out and fully understand what you're talking about.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
miloshot wrote:

What do you mean?

Ahh.. I was thinking in terms of Eldritch Horror. So when you show up to a location you don't know what will be there at all (maybe an idea, but nothing concrete at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do the thing you say you're not going to do, I would want things in this descending order of importance:
Story, archetypes, signature spells, and then a tie for events/creatures/items/map, and then a tie for Grimslingers and Animas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
ssgibson wrote:
miloshot wrote:

What do you mean?

Ahh.. I was thinking in terms of Eldritch Horror. So when you show up to a location you don't know what will be there at all (maybe an idea, but nothing concrete at all).

I'm not familiar with Eldritch Horror (though I'll try and brush up on it now) but could you expound on how it works in that game?

My design theory for the landmarks is more stategic. In a game where lots of things are random, I think it's nice to be able to plot out a course to your objective and know how that will turn out more or less. Events and Monsters are that random element of "dunno what's gonna happen here", but you can always count on the Landmarks to be dependable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
If you do the thing you say you're not going to do, I would want things in this descending order of importance:
Story, archetypes, signature spells, and then a tie for events/creatures/items/map, and then a tie for Grimslingers and Animas.

Hmmm, I'm curious why archetypes are your number 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
miloshot wrote:
ssgibson wrote:
miloshot wrote:

What do you mean?

I'm not familiar with Eldritch Horror (though I'll try and brush up on it now) but could you expound on how it works in that game?

My design theory for the landmarks is more strategic. In a game where lots of things are random, I think it's nice to be able to plot out a course to your objective and know how that will turn out more or less. Events and Monsters are that random element of "dunno what's gonna happen here", but you can always count on the Landmarks to be dependable.

Sure, I would be happy to. Essentially each location in Eldritch Horror gives you a general "get this type of thing most of the time" idea of what you can get there. So when you head to that location and interact with it you draw a card from the appropriate deck.

Nine times out of ten (this is hyperbole, I don't know real statistics for it) that location will provide what it promised. The tenth time it will do something a little different maybe.

It gives a little bit more flavor and variety to locations. For instance, Tokyo (I think, or Shanghai) tends to spawn monsters when you go there. So you sort of get the feel that the location is a dangerous place to be. You could also look at it in the opposite way. If Rome always gives you nice things then maybe it might be wise to tread lightly in the event that something should pop up.

I think this goes hand-in-hand with some of the other suggestions, primarily "more story." But it puts a "game" spin on that suggestion so we aren't dealing with only fluff. Don't get me wrong, I like a good story, but I am a huge fan of mechanics and seeing things in games happen because of thematically sound mechanisms.

Hopefully that makes more sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:

Because like signature spells, they provide tremendous variety in gameplay; but there are fewer of them and they offer some minor worldbuilding baked in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
badge
'Obvious' is the most dangerous word in mathematics. Eric Temple Bell
mbmbmbmbmb
Story then Archetypes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

Because like signature spells, they provide tremendous variety in gameplay; but there are fewer of them and they offer some minor worldbuilding baked in.

Interesting! I honestly haven't heard back from anyone if they like archetypes or not. There were 3 or 4 designed that never made it into the game.

I think if I add more story it's going to be more character specific. As in, an expansion that puts Kipper or Nyunyo as the main characters (crowd favorites).

That way folks can get more familiar with their favorite Grimslingers, something I find sorely lacking in GS1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demetri Ballas
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order from high to low priority:

Spells: Signature spells are the most exciting part of Grimslingers, both in coop and versus. More of these makes the whole game better.

Archetypes: More archetypes means more character customization, as well as cool abilities.

Story: More campaigns would be a fantastic addition. Spells and archetypes take priority to me because they change the entire game at its core, but that doesn't diminish the importance of more coop gameplay.

Creatures: If you're going to have a new story you're going to need new/greater variability in creatures.

Map: Ditto with creatures.

Items: Same as spells, but to a lesser extent. Far more relevant in coop.

Events: Exclusively relevant in coop, but always interesting when they come up. More variety is always good.

Grimslingers: I wish I could play as Larry. Not being able to play as a magic llama in the physical version made me so sad. That said, entirely cosmetic.

Animas: Arguably the most ignorable part. I love the little guys, but they're essentially just an EP meter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.