1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: death by boredom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Played the first scenario for the 2nd time tonight. My group had a terrible time and after two hours and forty five minutes agreed to walk away from the game. Two of us had played before and everything was the same, which didn't help but mainly it was just that the game went on and on and it didn't seem like we could accomplish much in a turn.

We won in my first play but it had a similar feel, of taking forever to get anywhere. What's up with this, do people actually do this in 60-90 min, is it just us or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I am surprised to hear it's taking nearly 3 hours.

My son and I have played the first scenario twice and each time through took maybe a touch over one hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes, it's just you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Octavian wrote:

My son and I have played the first scenario twice and each time through took maybe a touch over one hour.

Wow, does having a full table vs. two players really slow things down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 90 mins is way under the actual time when you have a full table and you are reading all the flavor text out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with 4 people you can split up and accomplish more. I don't see why it would take so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game can easily be between 1 hour and 4 hours. Depends on how you play, speed of people thinking and how much you engage in the story and flavour text.

My experience with the first scenario. I'm a keen player the first time we played it was about 2.5 hours with only 2 people. The second time was easily 3 hours with 4 people.

This greatly depends on table think and how quickly you cycle turns. I had a blast in the first one because we kind of kept exploring quickly. The second game we didn't do that as much and there were more down-time turns where not much happened. If you are suuuper cautious you'll have boring rounds. If you read out loud all the flavour text and hold your breath everytime you roll. Contemplate your actions, and get stuck a little on puzzles. It's going to happen it will take a long time.

If things lull in the game. Just think less and act more. Make quick decisions around the table and be reckless. Maybe skip some of the flavour text if you think getting to the next mythos is more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I would skip the flavor text, it's an important part of the atmosphere. I think this game is a bit like those haunted house attractions; it's not so much about getting to the exit, but enjoying the ride. If you don't, well, maybe it's not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Glamdryn wrote:
The 90 mins is way under the actual time when you have a full table and you are reading all the flavor text out loud.

+1

3 hours for 1st scenario. All text narrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
I'm not sure I would skip the flavor text, it's an important part of the atmosphere. I think this game is a bit like those haunted house attractions; it's not so much about getting to the exit, but enjoying the ride. If you don't, well, maybe it's not for you.

I love flavour text. But in the second hour, I tend to forgo it to keep the pace going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you might be doing something wrong. Are you giving players 2 spaces of movement for each Move action they perform? Are you allowing players to perform an action in the middle of their movement (rather than having to perform their entire movement before or after their other action)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first one with 4 players and it took about 2 hours, played it alone and it was shorter (but I lost), and I have played the second one with 5 players, and that took 4 hours. We lost that one, would have won if we would have had 1 more turn, but everyone liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've played the first scenario twice with my wife - we lost once and won the second time. She works the app and reads all flavor text - it takes a little longer, but its fun and very immersive. Both times we were well over 3 hours.

I am a little concerned how long it'll take us to complete some of the longer stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I've only played 1 time. None of us had played before and we did Scenario 1. So there were some pauses for rule lookups, plus trying to find the right tile and right minis (I had 1st edition stuff to integrate and we were playing off my initial storage of the combined components. We were at a game cafe that was hosting a Magic night, so there were a ton of people there and the room was loud.

Long story short: 5 players @ 2.5 hours with rules explanations and all app text read. There was no point where the game felt boring and the tension increased dramatically as it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest story the game is split over different locations/days so you tear the board down each time.

For this you don't even need to take a photo of the board, Just keep each characters items/health/clue tokens etc in zip bag.

However if the others scenarios are running too long (or the battery on your tablet is running out) just take a picture of the board and pack it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played (total noobs) 2 investigators, first scenario, and it took perhaps 2 hours. For a first time play, I think that's OK to be over time.

We played the second scenario (Escape from Innsmouth, or similar) and we were through it in under 2 hours, so I think maybe you're doing something not quite right there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took my wife and I about two hours. She is a noob at these type of games. But we did stop to make coffee, get slices of cake, and make sweet passionate spawn child making...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greasygoblin wrote:
It took my wife and I about two hours. She is a noob at these type of games. But we did stop to make coffee, get slices of cake, and make sweet passionate spawn child making...devil

So the actual game took just a little over 1h 50m?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
We won in my first play but it had a similar feel, of taking forever to get anywhere.

Here's a quick fix: Allow every investigator 3 actions (instead of 2).

It sounds like you're going through and investigating every search token, taking time to effectively click on anything that is clickable. The game doesn't really tell you, but that's not a good way to play. You should be going through the scenario a bit faster, choosing one item over the other, instead of a bit more thorough. But, a lot of gamers have a hard time doing that. Must-click-everything syndrome is high amongst us. In our group, to combat this we grant 3 actions instead of 2, and we still have a great time, and the challenge still seems to be about the same (just the time pressure is eased).

So, we call the 3 Actions Per Turn "Normal Mode", and the 2 Actions Per Turn "Nightmare Mode".

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group calls 2 Actions per turn "Normal Mode", because that's how the rules are written.

Maybe call 3 Actions per turn "Easy Mode" or "Learning Mode" or something more appropriate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe "Meticulous Mode" or "Thorough Mode"? I don't really find the game much easier with one extra action, rather I find you having the ability to actually search everything, so we didn't like "Easy Mode" so much. "Investigation Mode"?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
My group calls 2 Actions per turn "Normal Mode", because that's how the rules are written.

Maybe call 3 Actions per turn "Easy Mode" or "Learning Mode" or something more appropriate?

What difference does it make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

What difference does it make?

I've had other titles where someone presented a rule they were taught, thinking it was the "normal" rules, and was shocked to learn they were playing some variant that significantly made the game easier.

They felt robbed of the experience and everything they'd learned, everything they knew about the game had to be rethought because they were now operating in the true "normal" game with a confined action pool.

As such, I believe it matters and that no variant should ever be called "Normal". It should clearly be presented as a House-Rule or Variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game took much longer than it should have due to misreading the movement rules and only allowing an investigator to move a single space rather than two.

Second game went so much faster...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:

It sounds like you're going through and investigating every search token, taking time to effectively click on anything that is clickable. The game doesn't really tell you, but that's not a good way to play.

Actually, all of the scenarios constantly stress that players should be getting a move on. I guess some people just don't pay it any heed.

When the butler says 'Hurry' he's probably implying the investigators shouldn't idle through the mansion, exploring every nook and cranny.

When the App reminds you it's nearly the end of the day every other Mythos phase in 'Rising Tide' it's probably indicating there's some time pressure... and so on.

In terms of whether to read all flavour text or not: when you've played a fair bit it starts to get very repetitive. Initially we (I) read it all aloud but now we tend to 'yadda yadda' it, especially on repeated plays. The 1st play of a scenario, when it is all new, I think you don't mind a lengthy game so much. On subsequent plays when it's mostly repetitive I think it's more enjoyable to play quicker, spend your time talking strategy, rather than reading out every bit of familiar text.

The '3 actions' thing: why not just play with more investigators if you want more actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.